X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Day of the Doctor (2013)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SPECIALS
    THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR

The Doctor crosses with his own timeline when a hole is torn in the fabric of reality, reuniting with two previous incarnations in order to save the Earth from a cunning Zygon infiltration ... and seal the fate of Gallifrey forever.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 26 November 2013, 11:37 PM.

Absolutely amazing! This will definitely need to be rewatched, but its an interesting concept, and a nice twist to see Capaldi!

Comment

I don't mind admitting - I was actually in tears. Moffat you beautiful, beautiful human... thank you.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Absolutely amazing! This will definitely need to be rewatched, but its an interesting concept, and a nice twist to see Capaldi!
        what about the surprise at the very end? that was amazing......

Comment

I was actually hoping to hear there were more than 13 Doctors at the end. Hearing Eleven talk would make it seem like there were more than just War Doctor. The little glimpse of Twleve though, loved it. Just not sure what to make of Fourth making an appearance. Future Doctor starting to look like previous incarnations maybe.

I have to say though, I was disappointed with the war. The war, especially when Tenth describes it to The Master during 'The End of Days', sounded much worse than just the Dalek's bombarding the planet. They seemed to have also forgotten that the Time Lord Council were just as bad and wanted to end all of creation to save themselves. Tenth listed a whole bunch of things that would come through when Gallifrey escaped the time lock, so it really begs the question, who time locked it?I just feel like a part of Tenth's departure has been retconned massively. When he ended the war, he was completely justified as it meant saving the universe from the Time Lords as well. That said, if they do ever find Gallifrey, The Master should be there since he got trapped back inside the lock as it was a few days before the war ended.

It was a really enjoyable episode, but again shows how Moffat doesn't really care that much about consistency. He just does whatever he thinks seems cool. Yeah the time stream will correct itself so a whole bunch of new events in The Doctors past will just be forgotten, including the fact he never wiped out his people.

sigpic

Comment

Id kinda worked it out while watching, as Moffat had said it would change his objective so to say, but it was still a very nice surprise...

Question is, how long will it take for him to find it? Will that be the 100th Anniversary? lol

Comment

I know that when I watch it again (and again, and again, and again...) I'll be more critical, apt to notice plot holes larger than the TARDIS interior and logic leaps, but honestly, if nothing else, it succeeded and more than exceeded my expectactions in terms of sheer spectacle and entertainment.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                I know that when I watch it again (and again, and again, and again...) I'll be more critical, apt to notice plot holes larger than the TARDIS interior and logic leaps, but honestly, if nothing else, it succeeded and more than exceeded my expectactions in terms of sheer spectacle and entertainment.
                Yeah, I need to watch it again too to take it all in...

Comment

As with everyone else, a second viewing is required. Largely because I was there, with the great unwashed public, in the cinema for the whole 3D experience thing. Sorry BBC, it was pants. Once or twice it was 3D-happening, but basically pointless. If I'd wanted to spend an hour and half with a child kicking me in the kidneys I could have borrowed a niece...

Anyway, just two things for now:
                  a) picky-1: at the beginning when they first ran into the National Gallery, the Doctor and Clara left the TARDIS door open.
                  b) so "game-changing" means "retcon the entire reincarnated show"? [not sure it does, actually, but need to think about it]

Comment

I thought it could have done with more story.

And there the massive plot hole that if the Gallifrey returned to our universe, then what stopped the ground council from destroying our universe through their plan to save their own hive and ascend, which was one of the reasons the Doctor chose to use the Moment.
                    An if Bad Wolf was able to enter the time lock why didn't she take care of the Daleks, like she said she did?

Plus what happen to the shape shifters storyline, did we negotiate a treaty with them? Where did they go to live on Earth. How could a government ever trust aliens that can appear as anyone.

A great opportunity to give an enemy some depth and less 2d missed, great opportunity to give some depth to humanity as wel.

what story there was, was good but it just to thread bear, to many plot holes for it to be great episode. It needed to be a good
                    10-15 minute longer. Thank god the Daleks were just a sideshow.

3.5/5 From me I am afraid.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 23 November 2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2
                      It reconned everything we know about Gallifrey, the Time Lords and reconned bits of Bad Wolf storyline.
                      I wouldn't say it retconned anything to do with Bad Wolf, it just picked Rose (although the clothing was wrong) from the short period of time when at the end of season one when she absorbed the Heart of the TARDIS.

That said, it did retcon the ending of the war. I can accept timelines being corrected removing all memories of their futures (it's been done before), but it does make a crazy bit of sense but there are just too many unanswered questions. Since The Doctor originally remembers the war ending with Gallifrey burning, what changed this time around? Presumably The Moment showed War Doctor a moment in time and he pushed the button anyway, or did he? If he didn't push the button originally but remembers pushing it, then where did those memories come from?

It really skipped over the whole ascension idea, so that will have to be dealt with, but this is Moffat were talking about. It probably won't be addressed for a season or two and then we'll find out The Doctor remembers everything but was just pretending not to. He's been doing that with River for a while

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I wouldn't say it retconned anything to do with Bad Wolf, it just picked Rose (although the clothing was wrong) from the short period of time when at the end of season one when she absorbed the Heart of the TARDIS.

That said, it did retcon the ending of the war. I can accept timelines being corrected removing all memories of their futures (it's been done before), but it does make a crazy bit of sense but there are just too many unanswered questions. Since The Doctor originally remembers the war ending with Gallifrey burning, what changed this time around? Presumably The Moment showed War Doctor a moment in time and he pushed the button anyway, or did he? If he didn't push the button originally but remembers pushing it, then where did those memories come from?

It really skipped over the whole ascension idea, so that will have to be dealt with, but this is Moffat were talking about. It probably won't be addressed for a season or two and then we'll find out The Doctor remembers everything but was just pretending not to. He's been doing that with River for a while
                        I thought there was a hint perhaps that this was really bad wolf pretending to be the moment, why choose Rose Tylrr then switch to Bad Wolf or may be I am just stretching things.

But I am certain they made it clear that Matt Smith Doctor will remember everything but Tennent and Hurt Doctor won't remember any of it when they rejoined their time stream, that way the universe get to protect the timeline/timestream. Through those dragons from season 1 of new Doctor Who have well and truly been forgotten.

Comment

Time Lords chose the ascension and destroying the universe instead of using the moment and confronting their choices. Ain't that a bit cowardly?

Comment

One of my favourite lines has to be John Hurt "Oh the pointing again, they're screwdrivers, what are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?"

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                              Absolutely amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X