Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: The Day of the Doctor

UNIT was only ever as competent as the story required them to be... Though yes, they were never quite just "a joke"... even if we did have scenes like poor Benton standing starkers in front of everyone wondering where his clothes went...

Despite the lack of true Classic Doctors... At this point in time, I'm still thinking very highly of this story...!

And yes! T'would be amazing to have Capaldi find and land on Gallifrey, pop out and walk into Romana and K9!
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    *shrugs*

I *am* one of those 'people with a gun' in reality. So... I'm probably biased.
    For what it's worth, the way that Who sneers at people with guns has always annoyed me. People with guns have saved lives too - set people free, stopped genocide, ended hostage situations and so on ... maybe not as many as Doctor Who but they're only working in one galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by min min light View Post
    For what it's worth, the way that Who sneers at people with guns has always annoyed me. People with guns have saved lives too - set people free, stopped genocide, ended hostage situations and so on ... maybe not as many as Doctor Who but they're only working in one galaxy.
    The Doctor does not "sneer" at guns, he sneers at violence being our first resort, rather than our last.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Off topic.

SERIOUSLY???

you time-locked Dr Who threads?????

What is wrong with you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    The Doctor does not "sneer" at guns, he sneers at violence being our first resort, rather than our last.
    The show's writers, not the Doctor. But I wasn't trying to pick a fight so I withdraw the statement.

The show's writers, not the Doctor. But I wasn't trying to pick a fight so I withdraw the statement.
    Don't withdraw it, it was a fair observation. I am not picking a fight either.

Generally you're right. But I'd say the Tenth Doctor does, particularly when he was talking with Colonel Mace in The Sontaran Stratagem and asked him to not stand so close on the basis that he had a gun. Ten really was a bit of a hypocrite (understandable given what we know from his memories of The Day of the Doctor), but his other selves, including Eleven have had a much fairer attitude to guns and the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    But why isn't UNIT like the UNIT of old who? I get the impression they are played for comedy value in New Who
    I beg to differ, though in one or two eps they've been negatively or comedically portrayed (not happy with Capt Magumbo AT ALL), by and large they've been pretty good. They were (Magumbo aside) very effective in Planet of the Dead, shown to be effective (if ruthless) in Fragments (Torchwood) and notably were brilliant in Day of the Doctor. There was absolutely no incompetence, there was a very serious threat that they were no match for - but though Kate WAS about to pursue a very dangerous line of coercion, UNIT *had* still gained control of the situation. Just not in the most wonderful way possible. Like it or not, it was an effective defence. Combine that with effective repulsion of a Sontaran invasion force, and the constant cover ups and ability to clear up Sarah Jane or Torchwood's mess, and I'd say you have a highly competent force.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm not a person like you with a job in the military but I do like UNIT and its role in the Whoniverse and it is always a joy for me to see them appear to help the Doctor.
    Good to hear
    Last edited by Flyboy; November 27th, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

Colonel

I miss the Brigadeeer the old UNIT

First Lieutenant

Don't withdraw it, it was a fair observation. I am not picking a fight either.
    Well, if anyone started this discussion it was me, and I didn't mean to pick a fight either. I was ratehr making an observation how much the opinon of people differ in this or ather matters. But as the debate is going on...

I know but I like to dream of a world where noone carries a gun (or any other kind of weapon), so there would be no need for any defence. And YES I do also know that this is possibly the greates utopi imaginable. So call me naive, if you like but that's why I'm not a fan of UNIT or any kind of military organisation neither in fiction nir in real life (Don't take this personal, Flyboy)
    Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Probie

Regarding the whole guns thing, I think Doctor Who just picks up the general media trend of putting huge groups of people into little boxes.

e.g. Nurses : Good eggs only interested in helping people
    e.g. Bankers : Pure evil out to destroy people to get rich

In the case of the military its either (typical American view) heroic and good to the core, who sign up to protect humanity / the motherland

OR

(usual British portrayl) bit incompetant and thuggish who sign up because they are a bit slow and thuggish

Reality is of course all professions have a range of good and bad, smart and stupid people in them, with all manner of reasons for doing what they do, not least it puts a roof over their head.

But then showing this view would make for far less fun television & movies.

On an aside, if the new series is gearing up to be 'the hunt for Galifrey' aka Star Trek: Voyager in reverse, does that mean they have dropped the whole Silence story thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus185 View Post

On an aside, if the new series is gearing up to be 'the hunt for Galifrey' aka Star Trek: Voyager in reverse, does that mean they have dropped the whole Silence story thread?
    I think we'll be seeing a resolution to the Silence thread in the Christmas special. I think we already have some idea of how it will turn out: the Doctor somehow survives the Fall of the Eleventh at Trenzalore and the Twelfth Doctor (or Thirteenth depending on your point of view) goes off in search of Gallifrey. Of course, like with everything else in Doctor Who, it's all about how he survives Trenzalore and the Silence prophecy, and about how the next journey starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus185 View Post
    Regarding the whole guns thing, I think Doctor Who just picks up the general media trend of putting huge groups of people into little boxes.

e.g. Nurses : Good eggs only interested in helping people
    e.g. Bankers : Pure evil out to destroy people to get rich

In the case of the military its either (typical American view) heroic and good to the core, who sign up to protect humanity / the motherland

OR

(usual British portrayl) bit incompetant and thuggish who sign up because they are a bit slow and thuggish

Reality is of course all professions have a range of good and bad, smart and stupid people in them, with all manner of reasons for doing what they do, not least it puts a roof over their head.

But then showing this view would make for far less fun television & movies.

I'dlve never known Doctor Who portray the military in any way like that so I don't know what episode you've got that from. The tenth Doctor treated the military with a certain level of contempt but that was part of his character. The portrayal of the military though I've found to be quite respectful. They come up with a military solution in the episode, which might not be the best response at the time but they still come across as honourable and wanting to do the right thing.
    Take the colonel from the sontarran stratagem. He was heavy handed but he was a man of honour who was trying to do his best in a hard situation.
    The Brigadier was pretty much the same. The Doctor generally treated him with contempt a lot of the time but The Brig is one of the best loved characters in the whole series.
    The Doctor at the end of the day is a scientist. Scientists and the military generally don't get in very well and that's what it portrays.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
    I think we'll be seeing a resolution to the Silence thread in the Christmas special. I think we already have some idea of how it will turn out: the Doctor somehow survives the Fall of the Eleventh at Trenzalore and the Twelfth Doctor (or Thirteenth depending on your point of view) goes off in search of Gallifrey. Of course, like with everything else in Doctor Who, it's all about how he survives Trenzalore and the Silence prophecy, and about how the next journey starts.
    Spoiler:
    Moffatt has pretty much admitted, though I can't find the relevant quote, that Capaldi is the 13th face for the Doctor (albeit DT being two of them). So we may get THAT big question answered as well.

Am writing this watching DotD for the 4th time. Still getting misty-eyed in the gallery at the end. Do we think that Tom's appearance at the end of The Day of the Doctor the best cameo, ever?

Is the show watchable online yet? I missed the on air showing
    I like Sharky

It's available to Auusies via the ABC's online catch up service, but it'll be low def...

I thought it was on the BBC's online player?
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post

Am writing this watching DotD for the 4th time. Still getting misty-eyed in the gallery at the end. Do we think that Tom's appearance at the end of The Day of the Doctor the best cameo, ever?

Yep that end bit made me both jump for joy, and get misty

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    Spoiler:
    Moffatt has pretty much admitted, though I can't find the relevant quote, that Capaldi is the 13th face for the Doctor (albeit DT being two of them). So we may get THAT big question answered as well.

Those two scenes cements for me the status of on of the greatest ever Doctor Who stories for this special.

Spoiler:
    The Doctor has long future ahead of him with further regenerations available. Melody/River gave her remaining regenerations to bring back the Doctor in Let's Kill Hitler. Taking another Time Lord's remaining regenerations is canon as both the Valeyard and the Master tried to take the Doctor's remaining regenerations in order to extend their lives. Not counting whatever plot device Moffatt or whichever future show runner comes up with to give the Doctor more regenerations.
    Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty!
    loves and loves right back.

No w/o a and no w/o a
    It's an immutable law of the multiverse.

Captain

I haven't read the entire thread but was Tom Baker The Moment as well? There was subtle similarities in the way he and Billy Piper acted, maybe just me getting all timey whimey with a 4th viewing.

WarDoctor stole the show though, that one simple line 'the pointing again, they're screwdrivers, what are you going to do assemble a cupboard at them' had me in stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread but was Tom Baker The Moment as well? There was subtle similarities in the way he and Billy Piper acted, maybe just me getting all timey whimey with a 4th viewing.
    I think its up to the individual viewer to make up their minds as to who Tom was playing. I personally believe he was supposed to be playing a future incarnation of the Doctor that just has a face that resembles that of the 4th incarnation albeit looking like a much older man.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

Edward Russell, Doctor Who Exec, tweeted that the Caretaker is exactly who he appears to be, a future incarnation of the Doctor who has chosen an older version of the fourth Doctor's face.