• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Man Walking (206)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    DEAD MAN WALKING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206
    In the midst of his attempts to start a war Sebastian Monroe is captured by the Patriots. Elsewhere, Tom comes face-to-face with his son -- brainwashed into a killer by the enemy's black-ops re-education center.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 February 2014, 09:33 PM.

Another good episode, very little seemed to happen right up until the end.

I had suspected that Carver (the leader of Texas) was a Patriot and that's why they allied, but then we learn that Gene is actually one and was working against Rachel and Miles. Did not see that coming, then again we never saw Ken being a Patriot either, so i guess we will continue to be surprised.

So we finally learn what pushed Monroe over the edge, but it makes you wonder why Miles didn't try to stop him then and there, perhaps he thought he could fix him. But obviously not all the time as he did go out of his way to make sure that Monroe couldn't find his son.

We did see some of Neville's past in that he was in the same camp as Monroe and Miles. Most likely he was trained shortly afterwards. Although I had thought that Neville had no prior (or very little) interaction with Monroe until he was sent after Ben.

And I think the nanites are warning Aaron about Horn and the Patriots, thats why he was mindlessly doodling their symbol.

Comment

Dead Man Walking
      Spoiler:
      Tonight on Revolution; we got the moment of revelation as Monroe, the guy everyone thought was behind everything they ever knew, dies... Or at least we're led to believe that. Too soon? Oh well, at least there's an episode where Monroe goes through all the bad things that he did leaving him to wonder about the consequence of his actions... Oh wait, there isn't. Then what is this episode about exactly?

From the promos NBC had aired, I was fully expecting a morbid episode full of thought not unlike previous episodes which featured mainly action and pop-culture references; think about it, NBC picks the scenes that air for the promo, why chose the scenes they did? Unfortunately this leads to false expectations that are quickly broken; barely do we see Monroe in his jail cell or people contemplating his actions, we get scenes where Miles and co. quickly set out to break him out of jail for the sheer purpose of the fact that he's a part of the gang; this is wasted potential from the get go because this counteracts with the supposed purpose of the episode. Monroe has killed people, interfered with the heroes actions, you think that would of been given a second thought?

The only scenes we truly get from Monroe are Rachel criticizing him for losing peoples families (while providing an okayish performance) and of course the pivotal end scene where he dies; it's the moment where all reflection and sadness should come across and it proves itself to be one of the best moments of the episode with it's somber moments and it's connection with the audience that yes, you're going to be losing a truly pivotal character who's been with us since the dawn of time but then the episode tricks you by having an end scene where Rachel basically digs him up alongside the various scenes where it's emphasized that "yes he's dead, stop thinking and enjoy the show". That alone screams deceptive and makes people question their investment of the show.

The execution.

We also get 3 flashbacks regarding how Monroe became the way he is. Average people will give this episode 5 out of 5 stars because of this moment but I think it's a cheap way of retconning something to make Miles look like the sensible person despite the fact that Miles willingly went along with this stuff and was even the one to suggest the militia in the first place. Yes by involving Monroe, a love interest and a death, the show attempts to use cheap writing in order to justify his decisions; it's quite shocking to see him kill an entire camp of people but to do it because someone died of natural complications, it isn't thought provoking, it isn't provocative, it's just an illusion constantly presented by the writers. And that moment about his son, I was grabbed in by the tears he shed for his son but it got ruined by Miles being cockeyed leading me to declare him as "worse than Monroe"; seriously, why even do that in the first place?

Scenes involving Charlie and Aaron are passable; I will never be a fan of this Charlie/Rachel relationship that the show tries to force on me mainly because the rebellious attitude never seems natural and Charlie's acting is very, very subpar; even when she tries to compensate by being Sarah Connor, however it's a natural reflection of the family themes Eric Kirple keeps forcing on us. By having two people apart, it gives the picture that their reunification is going to be long and hard which gives promise to future plots. Aaron was better because it gave him a platform to interact with a love interest who proved herself to be somewhat good. She glued to Aaron as if she were the peanut butter to her jelly; describing what goes on in the politic filled world of Austin and basically gawking over her and if that wasn't enough those observant fans will note symbols being written down.

Classic guy/girl relationship.

Truly the best moment in this episode has to be the scenes involving Neville and the Senator as they run through the reprogramming camp trying to get his son back. It starts off weak with metaphorisms and disappointing acting galore but as the stakes got raised I found myself oddly invested to the plot; we can definitely see the type of family man he is as he cares for his son, tries to debrainwash him from the things that the patriots did to him, tries to knock some sense into him. This is the type of Neville which we rarely get to see, the one who provides the best performances hands down and this is no exception. Of course, his son doesn't get to be left out of the action as he talks back to Neville criticizing his decision to destroy the patriots in addition to mocking his deceased wife and generally tempting him; this type of son who doesn't care for his father enhances the proceedings as it provides meaningful action and a sense of paranoia. I found these scenes good but not enough to raise a disappointing episode.

To all you watchers out there, just because an episode contains a premise of Monroe being put down does not make it an A- episode; it has to explore that premise, make us care for the character being jailed, even connect with him possibly. Alas we live in a world where action and revelations such as the one at the end of the episode constitute the grade of which an episode is given. I still don't believe this is must see TV, I don't believe this is the "best TV show ever" and I definitely don't believe this show has the ability to last; sure, it has the ability to surprise and provide good suspense but I don't watch a show to be pissed off, which is what this episode made me feel like. It made me feel like I was being mocked, because I wasn't like the rest of the audience. I respect those opinions but episodes like this make me wonder why I'm even watching the show in the first place. Alas, with a couple more episodes left; I still hold hope that Revolution can improve. Somewhat.
      3.5/10
      Back from the grave.

Comment

So, who ever the patriots are I bet it Gene who gave them the idea to cut the power worldwide.

An please someone kill Rachel. The most annoying character on the show by a country mile.

I want to this indoctrination camp, they seem to be rather successful at indoctrinating people, I wonder if those techniques were developed at Guantanamo Bay.
        I wonder what that Symbol means, the Patriots seem to use a few different symbols.
        Is Secretary Justine Allenford really on Neville isde, given her position I don't understand how she could rise to high position in such a paranoid group that sends and assassination squad when she ask one simple question. I think she must be playing some kind of game with him.

Comment

I hope Munro is like Aaroan and is brought back to life, he is one of the most interesting characters on the show right now
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Rachel wouldn't be digging him up if he was actually dead(unless she has some sort of corpse fetish or something lol). She most likely handed her father something non-lethal to inject Monroe with(something that would put him in a deathlike state).

Overall I liked the episode, but it wasn't as good a last week's.

Aaron telling Rachel and Charlie, "thank you for the truly horrific evening", was pretty funny. I enjoyed Aaron's scenes with that reporter. I liked her, I thought she was interesting.

I liked most of the Miles/Monroe scenes in this ep. Miles yelling at Monroe for killing that patriot was good. I liked how Monroe admitted that Neville would be really useful against the patriots. I wasn't to thrilled with the flashback scenes though. I don't have a problem with Monroe starting to go crazy after the loss of his child. That works for me. I have a problem with the way the events, as seen in this episode, seem to change(almost rewrite) Miles, Miles' and Monroe's friendship, and the dynamic between them once they formed the militia. I liked Miles as the reformed ruthless ex-general. I liked him as someone, who along with his best friend, did what he thought was necessary to survive, but then just let the power get to his head for a bit, before realizing how far he'd fallen. It's been mentioned a bunch of times about how ruthless Miles used to be. The flashbacks in this episode kind of made it seem like Miles had, for the most part, just been trying control Monroe's psychotic tendencies for 10 yrs or so. Especially with the revelation that Miles knew about Monroe's son, but hid it from him because he was "off the rails". I think the flashbacks might have worked better for me if they had taken place more than 3 years after the blackout. I hope they're not trying to erase Miles having been a ruthless general and turn him into a saint. It's only one episode worth of flashbacks though, so who knows.

I liked the scene where Miles and Rachel were talking about Monroe. I can understand how Miles would want to keep Monroe around to do the dirty work. Miles wants to be a good guy, he wants to the the hero(he doesn't need to be rewritten to do that though).

I really liked the scenes between Charlie and Rachel. Rachel seems to have a problem expressing her true feelings to her daughter. She seems to try to control things too much, and she doesn't like admitting that she's wrong, even when she knows that she might be. I really like Rachel as a character, I find her interesting.

Neville, Allenford and the whole reprogramming center part of the episode was interesting. The fight scene between Neville and his son was pretty good too. I like that Jason has something to do now. I want more flashbacks with Neville.

Rachel's father being the mole was ok. I like Steven Culp as Truman. The new guy in town seems like he could be an interesting character.

Oops, I didn't mean to write so much lol.
            Last edited by VampyreWraith; 31 October 2013, 07:18 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Rachel wouldn't be digging him up if he was actually dead(unless she has some sort of corpse fetish or something lol). She most likely handed her father something non-lethal to inject Monroe with(something that would put him in a deathlike state).
              Yes this is what I'm guessing as well. IMO they shouldn't have shown that last scene at the end and let us think he was dead(and maybe he is who knows).
              I liked the reporter in the bar, too, hope we see more of her.
              Didn't Monroe actually lose TWO families, besides Shelly and the baby- wasn't there a flashback scene in S1 where Miles is comforting him before the blackout after the loss of his wife and kids in an accident or something if memory serves?
              Still no excuse to go psychotic and starting wiping out who camps of people of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
                Yes this is what I'm guessing as well. IMO they shouldn't have shown that last scene at the end and let us think he was dead(and maybe he is who knows).
                I liked the reporter in the bar, too, hope we see more of her.
                Didn't Monroe actually lose TWO families, besides Shelly and the baby- wasn't there a flashback scene in S1 where Miles is comforting him before the blackout after the loss of his wife and kids in an accident or something if memory serves?
                Still no excuse to go psychotic and starting wiping out who camps of people of course.
                I think he lost his parents and his sister in a car accident that time.
                sigpic

Comment

Don't worry guys, next week Aaron will raise the dead, cure the sick, calm a storm and escape the patriots by walking across a lake.

In all seriousness, y'all think Monroe is really dead? Since Rachel gave him the injection I could see the show using the "I actually paralyzed him" excuse and then inject something else into to "wake him back up"

I agree with Kennedy that he would be a loss because Monroe is really cool right now.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                    I think he lost his parents and his sister in a car accident that time.
                    Oh yes that's probably right-I need a re-watch!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post

So we finally learn what pushed Monroe over the edge, but it makes you wonder why Miles didn't try to stop him then and there, perhaps he thought he could fix him. But obviously not all the time as he did go out of his way to make sure that Monroe couldn't find his son.
                      I think that he wanted to fix him and also they were BFF's from childhood on and Miles I think was in denial/didn't want to believe his friend was all that bad/crazy until the one incident woke him up to what he knew was reality.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                        I hope Munro is like Aaroan and is brought back to life, he is one of the most interesting characters on the show right now
                        He not dead. The father didn't prep the injection, sloppy, Rachel did, probably gave him something to slow his heart down but not kill him. The Texans look shifty through this entire event. They are up to something. Perhaps this treaty is just a delaying tactic to allow them to pull their forces away from the Mexican border.

I enjoyed Aaron's scenes with that reporter. I liked her, I thought she was interesting.
                        I got the feeling we will be seeing more of her in future episodes. It felt like she has a bigger role to play.

I guest we will know who recruited the local barber into the patriots, I wonder how many more there are in town, minus the new arrivals.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 31 October 2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Also, i was surprised we had no more "Visions" with aaron.. The bugs took a week off it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
                            I think that he wanted to fix him and also they were BFF's from childhood on and Miles I think was in denial/didn't want to believe his friend was all that bad/crazy until the one incident woke him up to what he knew was reality.
                            I think they want us to believe that Monroe was trying to fix him in order to erase any crazy notions that Miles was the one who was ruthless. I mean if he was in denial, why even do all the ruthless things that he did and why suggest that he was the one who suggested the formation of the Militia in the first place. What's worse is that they're going to push the "fix him" bit until it becomes fixated in Revolution's memory, this is not the last we've seen of these "retconning flashbacks".
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

I can buy Miles wanting to fix Monroe for a couple of years, prior to trying to kill Monroe and leaving. Once Miles and Monroe were more settled in, and their little Republic was mostly stable, I could see Miles realizing how messed up he'd gotten and how crazy Monroe was, and trying to fix things. I can't buy Miles standing by or trying to fix Monroe for 10 years while being against what Monroe was doing. Especially, since last season we couldn't go 3 episodes without someone from Miles' past showing up to remind us what a ruthless bastard he used to be, and how he used to be just as bad as Monroe. Mark Pellegrino's character(Jeremy?) said that Miles was the founding father of the Militia(nothing in this episode contradicts that though). I'm hoping that since this was a Monroe focused episode, they were just trying make us feel bad for him, and trying to show us that he'd been going crazy for a while; and that they'll deal with some of Miles' past misdeeds in a later episode(and not actually try to retcon/rewrite things).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X