• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Riot, One Ranger (205)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    ONE RIOT,ONE RANGER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 205
    Charlie and Monroe arrive at Willoughby, where they find Miles looking for a way to start a war between Texas and the Patriots. Aaron considers the new implications of his nanotech experience, and Neville gets closer to Secretary Allenford.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 February 2014, 09:33 PM. Reason: Crosslinks to be amended to/from SFS.

Another awesome episode.

Learning more about how Aaron uses these funky new powers is interesting and backstory is always a plus. We had previous mention of Cynthia's husband and learning more about what transpired during the six months really helps show how the relationship between her and Aaron developed.

I liked how you saw on Aaron's board that he was teaching them how electricity worked etc, a seemingly useless skill to most but something that he felt was most important to know, especially to those who had never known power.

I do have to say that once Fry was shot it was pretty obvious that it was Monroe's plan to frame the Patriots. And learning that even those Patriots that are in charge, such as Allenford, are not up to date on the final plans. These re-education centers also show us just how far they are willing to go to get everyone on their side.

Comment

One Riot, One Ranger
      Spoiler:

Revolution has often been compared to an RPG game in that there's an adventure behind it; while I don't buy it, I'm starting to see the comparisons. For one the previous season could be seen as a grinding session to gain a lot of experience, something that ended in failure and this season they're trying to face the big bosses. On this episode of Revolution, they face yet another big boss. The boss of war and you already know how this will end.

For one, the story of the Patriots are starting to get really boring; especially considering the fact that Miles and Monroe would be together and the trail which they follow takes a long time to get going and is bloated with action where the heroes initially feel threatened but defeat him anyway. Why is it boring you ask? Well we already know how ruthless they are; intending to take over every piece of land, using deceptive tactics to trick the masses, killing innocents and this one just seems like one long setup to the piece of the puzzle where they get the opportunity to get the war they created which comes at the cost of a character who let's be honest was not really interesting anyway and served as an archetype of other better characters who had better accents and better lines; though he was humble. The only true positive was seeing Monroe as the most hated man alive since let's face it, Miles will never be at fault and the actions he did in the past season; completely justifiable.

Just a friendly drink.

You may think that the Nevil story will improve things and it does somewhat with the fact that brainwashing centers exist and freedom is not particularly free but the story itself is minor and underwhelming; we see Nevil kicking ass but this serves to only get them together to form some bond of trust and set up a big action sequence that sees him teaming up to save his son. It's satisfying that we'll never get to see him rise to the top because that plot would of been boring and unsatisfactory but it's unsatisfying in that this plot wastes a few minutes that could go to more essential things; things such as the Miles plot above and seriously, what's up with the parallelisms. Eyes and ears everywhere; it's like they're taking the route that's been long taken, that the US government is evil and watching and wants to suppress free speech. Fans of the show will take it as a sign of it's ruthlessness, me who knows about this stuff already will just feel contempt.

This episode does contain a positive, they're all together! Yay, family! I admit, it's satisfactory in a story perspective to see them together. The daughter who was separated from his uncle, the guy who just wants to redeem himself; it's tear enduing to a point. Maybe it's a hint from Eric Kirple about the family stuff that was hinted later on but I still don't see it yet; I just see it as a sort of plot device designed to get everybody together now rather than later. Rachel was just okay; I can see the talent in Rachel's acting as she acts stern and focused but it feels like she lost that sense of remorse from the first episode in the season which is a pity since I kind of liked this side of Rachel. Sure, it's fun to see her compassionate and she actually relates to an audience at a point which is nice since Revolution is not known for relating with people but the attempt comes across as oddly hollow despite the amount of emotion she puts in which in itself is credible but...

Just a friendly sit at the pier.

Aaron's plot is interesting in that we get to see what kind of control that he has. He's definitely mopy about what happened, realizing the extent of his actions and this effects his performance which could convince people that he's the best character in Revolution. The way he emotes in his voice, the way that he parlays his thoughts and the way that he contemplates is incredible; Aaron is not the pushover that he was last season but a whole new character, one who is up and ready to perform and being shaped to be something. The flashbacks are a different story, the acting in this is nice with humor and romantic interaction galore; I could definitely buy the woman as a love interest but it felt like a generic romance plot with a jealous love interest willing to protect her and violence! I was even expecting him to go away to an extent so that she could be with him; while this does show the extent of his powers and changes the perception of viewers. It's still generic and no amount of good acting can save it.

What else do I have to say... Oh yeah, the acting in the background was good; really brings a sense of life to the proceedings and I guess the senator was good in her acting in that she really seemed injured and emotional and she did well with the few amount of time that she had; I would of liked to see more of her but I think we will in future episodes. At this point I'd like to say something to the audience: just because an episode contains action and some decent acting an awesome episode does not make. For me all of the factors have to click. The plot, the action, the investment factor, the characters, the premise; just because you can flow a consistent plot and flash does not mean it's not going to impress me. With that, this episode gets the usual above average rating it's been getting for the past few episodes. Revolution so far is meh and it'll continue to be meh until the end of the season. I guarantee it!
      5.5/10
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Spoiler:
        By the way, anybody think that it was Aaron that caused the nanites to destroy the equipment in the tower?
        Back from the grave.

Comment

Did you happen to catch the fact that 70% of the Texan forces were on the southern border? Wonder whats going on down there....

Comment

Spoiler:
            Bobby's dead again that idjit

Anyone think of The Joker when you saw those teeth? maybe i have just played the Arkham games too much
            Last edited by mr_kennedy; 24 October 2013, 06:11 AM.
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode.

I love Aaron's personality. I found his job interview to be sad and yet kind of funny.

I love Miles; I loved his reaction to Aaron and Rachel talking about the nanotech. I thought his reunion with Charlie was sweet. And I loved his reunion with Monroe. I loved how Miles tried to stop Rachel from killing Monroe, and how he sent everyone upstairs.

I love Monroe too. I loved when he told Miles something like, "you have to admit, that was kind of fun" after they fought some of the patriots. I really love the Miles/Monroe dynamic.

I loved Rachel's reaction to seeing Monroe. I also really enjoyed her scenes with Aaron.

I'm really looking forward to next week to see what happens.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                Spoiler:
                By the way, anybody think that it was Aaron that caused the nanites to destroy the equipment in the tower?
                ^^Now that you mention it-that's a possibility.

Spoiler:
                So is next week going to be the end of Monroe, then? Kind of too bad I hope they would keep him around. Or will he get out of it?

Liked seeing more of Aarons backstory.

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post

Spoiler:
                  So is next week going to be the end of Monroe, then? Kind of too bad I hope they would keep him around. Or will he get out of it?

^
                  Spoiler:
                  There are pics up on Spoiler TV for ep 7, and Monroe is still alive in one of them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Bobby's dead again that idjit

Anyone think of The Joker when you saw those teeth? maybe i have just played the Arkham games too much
                    Those teeth reminded me of a Hotel Transylvania Happy Meal toy that my daughter got last year lol.

And yeah, poor Bobby. I did like Monroe in that scene though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      Another awesome episode.

Learning more about how Aaron uses these funky new powers is interesting and backstory is always a plus. We had previous mention of Cynthia's husband and learning more about what transpired during the six months really helps show how the relationship between her and Aaron developed.

I liked how you saw on Aaron's board that he was teaching them how electricity worked etc, a seemingly useless skill to most but something that he felt was most important to know, especially to those who had never known power.
                      For an Aaron centered episode this did very well imo. I also loved how they showed he potentially had this power in the past, but still left it up in the air whether it WAS him or not, cause i would have thought it was after he got injured/healed by the nanos he got his power.

I do have to say that once Fry was shot it was pretty obvious that it was Monroe's plan to frame the Patriots. And learning that even those Patriots that are in charge, such as Allenford, are not up to date on the final plans. These re-education centers also show us just how far they are willing to go to get everyone on their side.
                      I would LOVE to see an 'end game sort' of clip with some of the "Patriots" uppers in a room discussing what the end goals are to happen.. BUT i doubt they would ruin things by showing that.

Did you happen to catch the fact that 70% of the Texan forces were on the southern border? Wonder whats going on down there....
                      MAybe to stop the mexicans and south americans coming up??

Comment

Aaron is basically turning into Neo.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm still not sure how I feel about Aaron's storyline. It gives the character a greater purpose, but I don't want to see Aaron in a god mode where he can control the nanites completely and get them to do whatever he wants.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe they are trying to go the route that the nanites are NOT controlled, but are trying to take aaron over to control him..

Comment

It's possible that they are trying to control him, or perhaps it could something more symbiotic. Right now they seem to be reacting to his emotions at a somewhat subconscious level. I'm open to seeing where they take it. It could end up being interesting, or it could end up being silly/lame.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X