Asgard Hyperdrive can reach Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Reading your post, i'm certain it is. This isn't very weird considering the fuzzy, grey territory that stargate has when it comes to such thing as being out of phase and parallel dimensions.

Unlike a hyperspace corridor (the actual tunnel), a stargate creates a wormhole with near-zero length. Similarly, an Event Horizon of a stargate does not give off the same activity as a Hyperspace Window.

I would blame it on the size of the wormhole in question. A stargate would simply create a MUCH smaller wormhole, and physically "beam" data through, unlike a hyperspace corridor which allows travel of a physical object. This much-smaller wormhole allows the wormhole's length to be much shorter too meaning near-zero (especially because of the no-lightspeed limit of subspace) travel time.

This is why matter is only allowed 1 way: because the matter stream would otherwise be disrupted/polluted/whatever by two streams crossing.

Energy for this transmission system is biased in that radio waves and gamma rays can pass, but visible light can not. This can actually be because of tree things:
    -the dematerialization process does not allow this (by design)
    -the light does pass but gets polluted with subspace interference *kind of like the light in a hyperspace corridor* and so the actual picture is drowned out
    -the light does pass but gets completely fuzzy so no clear picture comes through.
    is it a fact that light speed can be broken in subspace? i am not sure of that because in a stargate wormhole you are traveling at the speed of light as you are energy and therefore you reach your destination in seconds(ofcourse the distance is shorter too). A ship in subspace travels at much slower speeds but it translates into ftl travel in normal spacetime. I cannot remember it but was it ever implied in the stargate universe that you can travel faster than the speed of light within subspace? as it is a shortcut through space and closer to the speed of light you get the faster you would be in relation to the normal 4 dimensions. Other than destiny i don't think anything breaks the speed of light mark in the conventional sense.

And for the light passing through part, i think the event horizon itself is disrupting any beam that would want to pass through.

Comment

I think there are too many continuity errors for any real discussion on this. If you remember the movie, Abbados was on the other side of the known universe in the Kalium galaxy. In the series, which took off one year after the movie(tv time) it was suddenly in our galaxy, that and it was only a 7 chevron address!
      the problem is they did not write a set of rules for the series, and if they did they consistently broke them/re-wrote them.
      Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, all had a rock solid set of rules, which were never broken.(until Abrhams re-booted Star Trek). If they re boot Stargate they need a strict set of rules and not break them. Things like limits on hyperspace speeds, FLT speeds, 7,8,9 chevron power requirements and distance limits for each. Canon such as how far back the Ancients existence began, when they ascended. How old the Asgard are, The Nox, The furlings. It all needs to be consistent.

Comment

yep... i blame the writers as well because that is the truth.. no point arguing

Comment

is it a fact that light speed can be broken in subspace?
          It's in one of the "stargate 101" videos by daniel jackson.

Comment

The speed of light is faster in subspace is it not? So it's never actually broken.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              The speed of light is faster in subspace is it not? So it's never actually broken.
              Hard to say, since the writers have no set rules for the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladed View Post
                Hard to say, since the writers have no set rules for the series.
                As i said it's in the Stargate 101 videos for SGU

Comment

It isn't though. He says you can travel many times the speed of light in hyperspace, but doesn't specify which speed of light. Besides, I'm pretty sure those videos are not canon, because there'd have been a massive retcon of the Ancient timeline if they were.

Comment

It isn't though. He says you can travel many times the speed of light in hyperspace, but doesn't specify which speed of light. Besides, I'm pretty sure those videos are not canon, because there'd have been a massive retcon of the Ancient timeline if they were.
                    what about those videos defies canon then, i don't recall them THAT well.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      what about those videos defies canon then, i don't recall them THAT well.
                      In the 101 videos Daniel explains how the Ancients returned to the Milky Way from Pegasus and restarted human life, yet we know from Atlantis that humans were already a hunter-gathered species still evolving when the Ancients left for Pegasus.

Comment

In the 101 videos Daniel explains how the Ancients returned to the Milky Way from Pegasus and restarted human life, yet we know from Atlantis that humans were already a hunter-gathered species still evolving when the Ancients left for Pegasus.
                        It's a bit vague though.
                        "Restart human life as we know it on Earth."
                        Sounds more like they resumed (as returned to) a (way of) human life we know, not the kind of life they were accustomed to in Pegasus. They left all the wizzbang tech behind for the vast majority of them.
                        It's known that the Ancients mixed with humans, hence the ATA gene.
                        No matter the way you read the sentence, it's oddly phrased.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

It's known that the Ancients mixed with humans, hence the ATA gene.
                          No matter the way you read the sentence, it's oddly phrased.
                          It's possible they fired Dakara again to seed life. We know the Goa'uld spread the humans, but life itself could've been spread by the Ancients.

It's also specifically "life as we know it" which may mean that they indeed interbred and taught humans to put them on the course we're on now which is a bit more poetic, but not beyond Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                          X