Asgard Hyperdrive can reach Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Hyperdrive can reach Destiny

As we know the Asgard hyperdrive is extremely powerful capable of going from one galaxy to the next in a matter of minutes. (Episode where replicators attack earth and Thor beams O'Nell and Tealc away). If the Asgard hyperdrive is proven to be this powerful why cant Earth reach the Destiny after all they have the Asgard knowledge. It would only take them a couple of weeks (at most) to reach Destiny I think they can spare the ship and then they could finish Destines mission a lot faster than Destiny would have

"from thors galaxy he reaches earth in mear minutes"

Comment

I think it might be folklore; the power of the gods, the praise from the heavens. I don't think any type of technology such as a black hole or an asgard hyperdrive can ever reach Destiny; why? Because those types of things seem like fantasies. If we did have those technologies than traveling to and from Atlantis would be a dream in itself.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

You could also argue that they have no idea exactly where Destiny is, so establishing a location to travel to will not work.
        sigpic

Comment

The modified Asgard hyperdrives on Earth vessels OBVIOUSLY don't function as well as the ones on Thor's ships. It takes Daedalus 3 weeks to travel to Pegasus. I believe it has something to do with the primitive metal used for the ship's hull. Since the Asgard ships used such advanced materials, it could withstand the stress of going through hyperspace so quickly, but trinium-titanium alloy just isn't that great.

Comment

That function is not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by LordBawb View Post
              The modified Asgard hyperdrives on Earth vessels OBVIOUSLY don't function as well as the ones on Thor's ships. It takes Daedalus 3 weeks to travel to Pegasus. I believe it has something to do with the primitive metal used for the ship's hull. Since the Asgard ships used such advanced materials, it could withstand the stress of going through hyperspace so quickly, but trinium-titanium alloy just isn't that great.
              It's not to do with the metals, more the power source. With the ZPM the daedalus could reach pegaus a lot quicker.

To be honest though, we need to be realistic. Destiny has been out there for "hundreds of thousands of years". We've all worked out that it must be at least millions before Atlantis left earth so in millions of years even with it's star sailing and slingshot space travelling techniques it's almost certainly many thousands or even millions of galaxies away.

Even with a 100% Asguard ship with Asguard engines and power I don't think they'd stand a chance of reaching Destiny within 10k years.

I personally think that the only way for Destiny to be reached is via Atlantis's wormhole drive and I would suspect that the ancients were possibly developing it for this very reason. If atlantis can open a subspace wormhole without a physical device then it could not only reach destiny but also bring it back.

Comment

I wonder how much of the Asgard power was used for the quick trip originally referenced. Even if it was possible, they'd likely run out of fuel and not be near a gas station.
                sigpic

Comment

a fully functional asgard ship was able to reach the asgard galaxy and the milky way (earth to be specific) in minutes it would be a lot faster than 10k years. i would say tops like 4 months

Comment

well such a journey would take many many years on ships and possibly could take decades too. But they cannot actually do it as there is just no way of knowing where they are. Destiny has a star chart but destiny has crossed thousands and thousands of galaxies(i would bet on atleast a million as destiny is actually older than 30 million years) and no one can simply just look at it and go back home to see in a chart where it resides in the universe. And i am not sure of using the gate symbols to locate its position as that system worked with stationary things(one point of origin and 6 symbols to determine a location sort of a thing). Stargate is the only thing and with that they need a zpm or a planet with a naquadriah deposit etc...

Comment

I don't know that the Asgard's hyperdrive capabilities have always been accurately represented, but one of the later references suggests that it would take multiple days for the Asgard to take people from the Milky Way to the Pegasus galaxy:

WOOLSEY: I understand that Stargate Command has put in a request to the Asgard for transportation.

WEIR: I know they don't have a lot of ships to spare right now, but that will shave almost two weeks off our travel time.

WOOLSEY: I've never met an Asgard.
                      With a 304 taking 18 days to make the journey, that puts an Asgard ship's travel time at around 4-5 or so days (around the same as a ZPM powered 304). So either Ida is one of those dwarf galaxies that are under a hundred thousand light years away and the actual travel time between their galaxy and the Milky Way is supposed to be at least 2-3 hours (meaning that whole "here in minutes" scene was a misrepresentation of the actual travel time) or they realized that they made Asgard ships too fast so they retconned it.

Comment

Pure Asgard FTL was insanely fast, BUT perhaps it was due to elements never properly explained.

Perhaps that the Asgard used a constantly updated map of both galaxies and the void inbetween.
                        Perpahs there were secret FTL boosters placed here and there, perhaps even stuck in hyperspace.
                        Perhaps Asgard FTL of the higher order exploited wormholes or brushed against wormholes in some way.
                        After all, with the attero device, we've seen that FTL/subspace and wormhole are somehow connected.

Reaching Destiny wouldn't be a problem. Since stuff can be sent to the ship, the sending method obviously has to possess the information about the route taken to get from A to B.
                        Stargates do, as a matter of fact. And Destiny can still easily map the area of the galaxy it's in and has a database of her own voyage.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          You could also argue that they have no idea exactly where Destiny is, so establishing a location to travel to will not work.
                          They could probably plot where they are based on the map on Destiny's HUD, but it still may be near impossible to calculate.

Comment

Originally posted by jaseman45 View Post
                            a fully functional asgard ship was able to reach the asgard galaxy and the milky way (earth to be specific) in minutes it would be a lot faster than 10k years. i would say tops like 4 months
                            Nowhere is it stated in the show that the asguard drive only takes minutes.

4 months to catch up with a ship thats been travelling for millions of years.. seriously?

Comment

Plus do we have any proof it only took 4 minutes to get from their galaxy to ours? Or was that just guesses of what was shown?

Comment

Working...
                              X