Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    I must admit, I am *very* impressed with your chronologiscing (new word) of it all, that's a seriously good effort there!
    Hellooooooo OCD

I must admit, I cannot help with the ST or CC chronicles stories, because - rightly or wrongly - I just can't sink into the Doctor Who audio BOOKS. Gave it a try, just isn't working for me - hearing the tale read rather than voice acted.
    Now there's an interesting observation. I don't think I've actually listened to any ST or CC material so I hadn't even landed on that observation yet. I suspect my reaction would be largely the same as yours -- I like the format of dialogue- and incidental music-only, and the one time there was a narrative line (I forget which story, something about a note in a bottle) -- I found it very jarring. This would also serve the dual benefit of allowing me to skip a whole heap of the ones that I can't figure out where to place

As for the other stories - Sirens of Time, I believe, is often implied to be one of the last 7th Doctor adventures. In my mind, it comes right before the Movie. However - doctorwhoreviews.net has it placed inbetween Project Lazarus and Valhalla.

I believe Bang-Bang-a-boom has been placed too late, as it's a Mel adventure and needs to be shifted much earlier. DWR would suggest that the correct order should be Red, Paradise Towers, BBAM, Flip-Flop and then Delta and the Bannermen directly.

http://www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk/Seventh%20Doctor.htm this may help, although be aware it also includes the books!
    Faaaaaan-frickin'-tastic! Thank you!!

Sidenote: I did see your other thread over in General SF/F about the spooky story and wanted, once again, to say "curse you FOB" Now that I've discovered the quality and all-around fun of the Big Finish audios, I feel like I'll be wanting to check that out too!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've just posted this over on the News thread. But I'll post a link here as well. Big Finish have just won an award at the BBC Audio Drama Awards for Dark Eyes.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/01...ama-award.html

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Hellooooooo OCD

Now there's an interesting observation. I don't think I've actually listened to any ST or CC material so I hadn't even landed on that observation yet. I suspect my reaction would be largely the same as yours -- I like the format of dialogue- and incidental music-only, and the one time there was a narrative line (I forget which story, something about a note in a bottle) -- I found it very jarring. This would also serve the dual benefit of allowing me to skip a whole heap of the ones that I can't figure out where to place

Faaaaaan-frickin'-tastic! Thank you!!

Sidenote: I did see your other thread over in General SF/F about the spooky story and wanted, once again, to say "curse you FOB" Now that I've discovered the quality and all-around fun of the Big Finish audios, I feel like I'll be wanting to check that out too!
        Happy to help! I'm glad you're enjoying them! I'm also glad I've sold someone on 'Beyond the Grave' too. Part of me thinks I should be getting a commission from Big Finish sales!

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
        I've just posted this over on the News thread. But I'll post a link here as well. Big Finish have just won an award at the BBC Audio Drama Awards for Dark Eyes.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/01...ama-award.html
        Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ladies & Gents,

I've just come away from my latest audio drama session thoroughly in awe....

If you listen to only ONE single 6th Doctor audio, be sure it's 'The Nowhere Place'. There are not the words to explain this one - you have to hear it. Set aside 2 hours, turn the lights out and just enjoy. It is... to use entirely right terms.... epic.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...here-place-250

Whilst I'm on the subject of creepiness.... though not as epic, you simply *must* listen to the 7th Doctor's 'Night Thoughts'. Takes a while to warm up, but in the final two parts this becomes bloody chilling - and quite frankly - is another turn the lights off story. It is *not* child friendly. http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/night-thoughts-245

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

These all sound so good!

I need...

1) more hours in the day to listen

2) more money

And oh I wish that Big Finish had such a thing as a Wish List, then I could add them & my family would know what to buy me for Christmas/birthdays.

Comment

I don't own any Dr. Who Audio's by Big Finish... Yet...!

But I do own...

2 Strontium Dog adventures with Simon Pegg as Johnny Alpha.
              Vienna : The Memory Box
              All the Stargate/Stargate Atlantis Audio's.
              And a couple of their Warhammer 40k adventres.
              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
              To thy own self... Be true
              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Finished off the NEDA stuff last night ( to certain deaths I won't name here so I don't spoil anyone)...

A fleeting thought: in the Dalek audios I've heard (Time of the, Terror Firma, Blood of the, The Four Doctors, LM/TTD), wow are they ever more menacing and terrifying than I've ever found them on TV! Chilling! Especially in Four Docs & LM/TTD.

Another fleeting thought: I'm also very content with the 45-60m episode length they settled into for the NEDA range. My commute to/from work every day is 40-60 mins each way depending on traffic, so they're just perfect for popping onto my phone, plugging in the aux and enjoying a couple DW stories a day
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 28 January 2014, 08:47 AM.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Finished off the NEDA stuff last night ( to certain deaths I won't name here so I don't spoil anyone)...
                  Tell me about it!

A fleeting thought: in the Dalek audios I've heard (Time of the, Terror Firma, Blood of the, The Four Doctors, LM/TTD), wow are they ever more menacing and terrifying than I've ever found them on TV! Chilling! Especially in Four Docs & LM/TTD.
                  I KNOW RIGHT!? The Daleks and the Cybermen in BF are just so much... MORE than they are on TV. I whole heartedly believe Terror Firma to be one of THE best Dalek stories ever, regardless of medium.

Another fleeting thought: I'm also very content with the 45-60m episode length they settled into for the NEDA range. My commute to/from work every day is 40-60 mins each way depending on traffic, so they're just perfect for popping onto my phone, plugging in the aux and enjoying a couple DW stories a day
                  I must admit, I've warmed to that format. The 4 part, 2+ hr main range is beginning to feel a little bit long winded in many ways.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Might end up pissing Digi off again here...

But oh good lord, you simply MUST check out 'I, Davros'. I said earlier that Big Finish's BEST work is their spin off material, and I, Davros proves this to be correct.

This is the perfect run up to Genesis of the Daleks. And though NOT a dalek story, this charters the rise of Davros, to the point where the Daleks become a reality. It's not only a TRUE 'Genesis' story for Davros, but the Daleks as well.

After seeing the full background behind their creation... they honestly become even more unpalatable, disturbing, and abhorrent.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/i-davros

It's about £15 for the subscription to all four parts. I'd really recommend this!

(The Davros Missiion is a kind of post-word, that I've not listened to yet - but is a seperate arc).

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

^

Finished Dark Eyes off... I liked it, though not as much as I did the NEDA range.

Comment

^

Finished Dark Eyes off... I liked it, though not as much as I did the NEDA range.
                        Yes! I found that. I just don't like Molly... maybe it's because I KNOW she's putting the accent on... but... whilst it was good, it just wasn't NEDA material.... I also have not taken to The Doctor's 'new look' in Dark Eyes. If BF have anything about them, they'll cash in on NotD and move towards Eight looking as he did there...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I found it a bit puzzling that it had his 'new look' on the cover, but the in-episode dialogue pretty explicitly described the movie outfit and hair.

Comment

I found it a bit puzzling that it had his 'new look' on the cover, but the in-episode dialogue pretty explicitly described the movie outfit and hair.
                            Yeah, I was kinda waiting for the point at which he actually got a new outfit... like... a haircut when in hospital to conform to military regs etc...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Question...what on Earth is up with Big Finish's pricing system?

As you may have guessed from the speed of my listening I didn't exactly do so legitimately...but I enjoyed so much that I'm now going back and buying every last one that I listened to. I'm just a bit baffled that some (ie the Charley stories) are only about $9 a pop, while the Mary Shelly ones are around $25 each

In any case, I just bought 13 stories on CD. That's a start until I can balls up enough to drop another $150+

Comment

Question...what on Earth is up with Big Finish's pricing system?

As you may have guessed from the speed of my listening I didn't exactly do so legitimately...but I enjoyed so much that I'm now going back and buying every last one that I listened to. I'm just a bit baffled that some (ie the Charley stories) are only about $9 a pop, while the Mary Shelly ones are around $25 each

In any case, I just bought 13 stories on CD. That's a start until I can balls up enough to drop another $150+
                                It's part of the 'Big Finish for a Fiver' thing. The first 50 Monthly stories are all £5 each. After that they're about £15. Spin off stories, with less big names and a shorter run time are usually around £10 for new ones, and in many instances, £5 for older ones (like I, Davros).

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X