Page 1 of 46 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 911
  1. #1
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Anyone else a fan of the Doctor Who audio dramas by Big Finish?

    I've been gradually working my way through the 8th Doctor audio dramas (just coming to the end of the Charley and C'Rizz arc).

    I've also had the joy of listening to the UNIT dramas, a fantastic spin off - bookended with guest appearances by the legend that was Nicholas Courtney.

    I will say this though, one of the best I've listened to so far is "Terror Firma" a fantastic direct sequel to "Remembrance of the Daleks" - the classic series' last proper Dalek episode... I'd highly recommend it to anyway! - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/qu...rror-firma-238


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  2. #2
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    I've only just started on audio dramas.

    I've listened to Demon Crest 1: The Relics of Time, that I got from Audio Go. That one is the 4th Doctor and Mrs Wibsey (played by Louise Jameson but she doesn't sound like Leela at all). From Big Finish I've got Dark Eyes and Blood of the Daleks. Both 8th Doctor and both excellent, though Dark Eyes was my favourite, very atmospheric, as it is set during WW1.

    I do have another three yet to listen to that I got for my birthday - The Auntie Matter (4th Doctor & Romana I), Phantoms of the Deep (4th Doctor & Romana I) & Energy of the Daleks (4th Doctor and Leela). I haven't got round to listening to those yet as at the moment I'm steadily working my way through the Blake's 7 Liberator Chronicles.

    Hopefully Santa will bring me some more audios this Christmas. On my wish list are Castle of Fear, The Eternal Summer and Plague of the Daleks (5th Doctor & Nyssa). I also fancy some of the Lost Stories.

    Something else I really liked (that isn't drama) is Toby Hadoke's Moths Ate my Doctor Who Scarf, which is about fandom and his lifelong obsession with DW. It's fun & I recommend it.

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel rushy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    4,466

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Are there any audio dramas based on the 9th or 10th Doctors?


    "Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

  4. #4
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Not that I recall. Not dramas. There are audio books, sometimes read by the likes of David Tennant or Catherine Tate, eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-D...s=tenth+doctor

  5. #5
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    Are there any audio dramas based on the 9th or 10th Doctors?
    No - Big Finish have not, as yet, acquired the licencing rights to create 9, 10 or 11th Doctor audio plays. And frankly, Ecclestone being the way he is, I can't see him doing any *grumbles about how he should have known what he was signing up for* bloody Prima Donna... (despite the fact that I Love his Doctor...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I've only just started on audio dramas.

    I've listened to Demon Crest 1: The Relics of Time, that I got from Audio Go. That one is the 4th Doctor and Mrs Wibsey (played by Louise Jameson but she doesn't sound like Leela at all). From Big Finish I've got Dark Eyes and Blood of the Daleks. Both 8th Doctor and both excellent, though Dark Eyes was my favourite, very atmospheric, as it is set during WW1.

    I do have another three yet to listen to that I got for my birthday - The Auntie Matter (4th Doctor & Romana I), Phantoms of the Deep (4th Doctor & Romana I) & Energy of the Daleks (4th Doctor and Leela). I haven't got round to listening to those yet as at the moment I'm steadily working my way through the Blake's 7 Liberator Chronicles.

    Hopefully Santa will bring me some more audios this Christmas. On my wish list are Castle of Fear, The Eternal Summer and Plague of the Daleks (5th Doctor & Nyssa). I also fancy some of the Lost Stories.

    Something else I really liked (that isn't drama) is Toby Hadoke's Moths Ate my Doctor Who Scarf, which is about fandom and his lifelong obsession with DW. It's fun & I recommend it.
    I cannot wait till I get to Dark Eyes - really looking forward to it, and seeing what Eight's new image is like (though I'm a little sad that he'll lose his Movie charm...). What did you think to Blood of the Daleks? I've just listened to it, and whilst I liked the plot - I'm not impressed by Lucy Millar... maybe I'm more of a snob than I thought (not financially, just personality wise), but she just annoys me so bloody much - particularly the scene where she tried to make herself more of a candidate for an early rescue - if you get me....

    These audios out here in the desert have been a life saver, I can just about download one whole audio drama from Big Finish in a day if I leave my netbook running whilst out of the accomodation. I've spent FAR too much money on them - given they're quite expensive! Having just made the jump from Eight's 'Monthly Audio Dramas' to the specific 'Eighth Doctor Adventures', I feel a little short changed that they seem to have shorted somewhat and moved away from the lengthier classic episode style format...

    Soon as I've finished the Eighth Doctor audios, I'm really looking forward to some of the spin offs - namely Counter-Measures, Gallifrey, and Dalek Empire! I can wait with regard to other Doctor audios - (I have the remaining classic DVDs that I've not yet watched that I ordered, waiting for me at home for when I return in November), but the spin offs are so intriguing!


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  6. #6
    General Starfist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm..!
    Posts
    23,882

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    I've yet to try the Doctor Who Audio dramas from Big Finish.
    But I do have 'Vienna' which is a spin off.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    I have been tempted to give them a shot but they are kind of expensive and I am trying to get as many of the Classic Series DVD's before they all hit collectors prices.
    I like Sharky

  8. #8
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Yeah, that's what I did - just got all the classic DVDs up till release date, so I've moved onto audios!

    I've fallen in love with them, coming to the end of the 8th & Lucie series, and they're SO good! Also, just listened to "An Earthly Child", a really good reunion between Susan and the Doctor...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  9. #9
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,964

    Default Audio dramas

    I've been working my way through the Eighth Doctor audio dramas lately. Bit of a retro experience, like sitting in front of a radio for an hour or two at a time. They're really very good though. I didn't know what to expect going in, but they're well-written and generally well-acted as well. I'm closing in on the end of the Charley/C'rizz stories; will be sad to see him go, but boooooy am I ever tired of Charley! If I have to hear "Charlotte, Charlotte Pollard--CHARLEY to my friends" too many more times I might break something

    Whenever I finish the McGann stuff, I might dive into the McCoy stuff. Or maybe the Dalek Empire stories. Not sure

    I'm sure there's at least one or two others on here who've checked these out....favourites? Comments? Discussions? Recommendations?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  10. #10
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    I've only just started listening to DW audio's myself Digi, so I'm not really the best person to comment. But of the few that I have listened to my absolute favourite is Dark Eyes with the Eighth Doctor and a new companion Molly O'Sullivan (see sig!). It starts off in the trenches during WW1 where the Doctor, during various adventures, picks up a new companion in Irish nurse Molly and ditches his old clothes.

    I got quite a few audios with the 8th Doctor & Lucie Miller for Christmas but I haven't had time to listen to those yet.

    Edit - Flyboy started a thread on the same topic - http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...h-Audio-Dramas. Don't know if you want to combine the two threads?
    Last edited by Blencathra; January 5th, 2014 at 04:01 AM.

  11. #11
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,964

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I've only just started listening to DW audio's myself Digi, so I'm not really the best person to comment. But of the few that I have listened to my absolute favourite is Dark Eyes with the Eighth Doctor and a new companion Molly O'Sullivan (see sig!). It starts off in the trenches during WW1 where the Doctor, during various adventures, picks up a new companion in Irish nurse Molly and ditches his old clothes.
    I am very much looking forward to Dark Eyes! The premise is really interesting, new companion, etc. Plus new look for the Doctor, which might sound ridiculous for an audio drama, but it affects how I visualize things in my head


    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Edit - Flyboy started a thread on the same topic - http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...h-Audio-Dramas. Don't know if you want to combine the two threads?
    Ah, good call. Didn't see it, requested merge
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  12. #12
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I've been working my way through the Eighth Doctor audio dramas lately. Bit of a retro experience, like sitting in front of a radio for an hour or two at a time. They're really very good though. I didn't know what to expect going in, but they're well-written and generally well-acted as well. I'm closing in on the end of the Charley/C'rizz stories; will be sad to see him go, but boooooy am I ever tired of Charley! If I have to hear "Charlotte, Charlotte Pollard--CHARLEY to my friends" too many more times I might break something

    Whenever I finish the McGann stuff, I might dive into the McCoy stuff. Or maybe the Dalek Empire stories. Not sure

    I'm sure there's at least one or two others on here who've checked these out....favourites? Comments? Discussions? Recommendations?
    I know you mean about Miss Pollard. I thought she was alright up until they -

    Spoiler:

    entered into the divergent universe


    then she became just quite annoying, and rather clingy to the Doctor... When she eventually departs and is replaced by Lucie, it really is a refreshing change.

    I've listened to a heck of a lot of BF since starting this thread.

    I'd whole heartedly recommend the UNIT mini series (starting with the short - "The Coup" - only available from the BF website, free download though). Dalek Empire is also exceptional and I would definitely suggest it to anyone, but the first series is the strongest.

    Otherwise, to be honest - the Monthly Range is great. I went back to the first one and started working my way through and they're exceptional, especially the McCoy ones. Ace gets some fantastic character development. Although beware, whilst most follow on in chronological order for McCoy - every now and then there's a Bernice Summerfield story which is set much further into the Doctor and Ace's timeline...

    You should also check out 'The Light at the End', the 50th Anniversary audio...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  13. #13
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,964

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    I know you mean about Miss Pollard. I thought she was alright up until they -

    Spoiler:

    entered into the divergent universe


    then she became just quite annoying, and rather clingy to the Doctor...
    Agreed. I'm not sure exactly what it was that changed, but I think you might be on to something with the 'clingy' observation. She also seems to have gotten a lot more....I don't know, shrieky, somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    I'd whole heartedly recommend the UNIT mini series (starting with the short - "The Coup" - only available from the BF website, free download though).
    What's the setting of the UNIT series? I gather it's Doctor-lite/less and Earthbound, but does it specify a time period or is it typically 'UNIT vague'? Does it tie into any other story arcs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Dalek Empire is also exceptional and I would definitely suggest it to anyone, but the first series is the strongest.
    Aha, great to hear! I'm working my way through the Eighth Doctor range, but I've also been slowly doing a rewatch of episodes from the timeline perspective of the Daleks (as best I can reason it). I think I may incorporate Dalek Empire into that...I guess probably fairly close to the end of the classic era/pre-Time War Daleks.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  14. #14
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,964

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Also, I didn't realize till I 'researched' Blen's sig that there were going to be three more Dark Eyes series. Awesome
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  15. #15
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Also, I didn't realize till I 'researched' Blen's sig that there were going to be three more Dark Eyes series. Awesome
    LOL, glad to help.

    If you are interested in getting Dark Eyes 2 from Big Finish, both CDs and downloads are heavily discounted if you pre-order. So for the first Dark Eyes it's £40 for the CD or £35 for the download but if you pre-order Dark Eyes 2 it is £20.

  16. #16
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Agreed. I'm not sure exactly what it was that changed, but I think you might be on to something with the 'clingy' observation. She also seems to have gotten a lot more....I don't know, shrieky, somehow.
    I think that about sums it up... for me it was when she decided she was in love with The Doctor...

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    What's the setting of the UNIT series? I gather it's Doctor-lite/less and Earthbound, but does it specify a time period or is it typically 'UNIT vague'? Does it tie into any other story arcs?
    Basically, it's very X-Files-ish. You have two lead characters, one male one female, responsible for investigating mysteries. Every now and then you get more in the way of UNIT grunts show up. It's bookended by guest star appearances from the Brigadier. It was always meant to be 'not too distant future', much like usual UNIT. However, with the canonical passing of the Brig and the rejuvination of UNIT in the new series under Kate Stewart, I'd suggest it's set somewhere during the early days of RTD's era, or maybe a little before. Though there are a couple of issues with a certain species that throw a few questions in the air given recent episodes (you'll see!).

    It's not perfect, but it was my first introduction to Big Finish, and I love them. There's also a UNIT boxset with McCoy, which I've not had the pleasure of yet, but it's reportedly focused on a different UNIT bunch. I look forward to that one!

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Aha, great to hear! I'm working my way through the Eighth Doctor range, but I've also been slowly doing a rewatch of episodes from the timeline perspective of the Daleks (as best I can reason it). I think I may incorporate Dalek Empire into that...I guess probably fairly close to the end of the classic era/pre-Time War Daleks.
    Definitely a good idea, though the key want to listen to before starting The Dalek Empire is 'The Apocalypse Element' with the 6th Doctor. It's essential for backstory for the Dalek Empire, and the spin off 'Gallifrey'.



    Side note - the Sarah Jane Smith dramas are also epic if you want to fill in the gaps between The Five Doctors and The Sarah Jane Adventures!


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  17. #17
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,964

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Basically, it's very X-Files-ish. You have two lead characters, one male one female, responsible for investigating mysteries. Every now and then you get more in the way of UNIT grunts show up. It's bookended by guest star appearances from the Brigadier. It was always meant to be 'not too distant future', much like usual UNIT. However, with the canonical passing of the Brig and the rejuvination of UNIT in the new series under Kate Stewart, I'd suggest it's set somewhere during the early days of RTD's era, or maybe a little before. Though there are a couple of issues with a certain species that throw a few questions in the air given recent episodes (you'll see!).
    Cool, sounds like fun! Seems like something I'll want to tackle independently of other stuff, but it does strike me as interesting. X-Files-ish and UNIT sounds like Torchwood but more Doctor Who-ish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    It's not perfect, but it was my first introduction to Big Finish, and I love them.
    Why does it not surprise me that you dig UNIT

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Definitely a good idea, though the key want to listen to before starting The Dalek Empire is 'The Apocalypse Element' with the 6th Doctor. It's essential for backstory for the Dalek Empire, and the spin off 'Gallifrey'.
    Yeah I gather that there's a couple of stories that make up a Dalek Empire story arc prior to the first series that's actually labelled as Dalek Empire; Genocide Machine, Apocalypse Element, Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. I've actually already heard Time of the Daleks in my Eight listening, but that's okay.

    Gallifrey is on my 'maybe' list... I like Romana (though I prefer Lalla Ward to Mary Tamm), but I always found Leela a little bit crass/rough around the edges for my liking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    Side note - the Sarah Jane Smith dramas are also epic if you want to fill in the gaps between The Five Doctors and The Sarah Jane Adventures!
    Ohhh how I miss Lis Sladen
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  18. #18
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Audio dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Cool, sounds like fun! Seems like something I'll want to tackle independently of other stuff, but it does strike me as interesting. X-Files-ish and UNIT sounds like Torchwood but more Doctor Who-ish.
    Certainly not Torchwoody at all. Far less sex!

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Why does it not surprise me that you dig UNIT
    I don't know what you could POSSIBLY be referring to

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Yeah I gather that there's a couple of stories that make up a Dalek Empire story arc prior to the first series that's actually labelled as Dalek Empire; Genocide Machine, Apocalypse Element, Mutant Phase, and Time of the Daleks. I've actually already heard Time of the Daleks in my Eight listening, but that's okay.
    I must admit, I wasn't convinced by the supposed 'Dalek Empire' arc prior to the Dalek Empire series... they didn't seem at all connected at all, and only one of them (apocalypse element) has any real connection to the Dalek Empire series... as for Time of the Daleks, I find it hard to perceive HOW that fits in with the series...

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Gallifrey is on my 'maybe' list... I like Romana (though I prefer Lalla Ward to Mary Tamm), but I always found Leela a little bit crass/rough around the edges for my liking.
    Gallifrey is on my undecided list at the moment... I was very much looking forward to it, mostly because the new series of Who has made me fall in love with Gallifrey, what with it's beautiful orange skies and awe inspiring citadels... but I've found many of the plots a little too complicated for audio drama. Either you need the visual frame of reference that a tv show provides, or the slow and indepth coverage of a novel... I also find the score to be a little out of keeping with what I expect of Gallifrey... far too Spooks and not Murray Gold enough...

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Ohhh how I miss Lis Sladen
    Me too


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  19. #19
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Interesting article about Big Finish Eighth Doctor Adventures

    Getting into the 8th Doctor Audio Adventures


    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/getting...ures-57959.htm

    Guest contributor Nick Ferrazza provides a guide to Big Finish’s 8th Doctor range.

    Last November, Doctor Who fans were treated to a little surprise. Along with the other festivities of the program’s 50th anniversary, we were treated to a spectacular minisode featuring the surprise return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Since then the internet has exploded with petitions and articles explaining why the 8th Doctor should get more minisodes, or maybe even his own spin-off. What many fans fail to realise however is that the 8th Doctor already received his own spin-off, not on television, but on radio. Between 2007 and 2011, BBC7 broadcast a series of full-cast audio dramas by Big Finish starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith. In this article, I plan give a brief overview of the series to fans who have not experienced it in the hope that this may inspire them to do so. Before I begin however, I should point out that, while I have done my best to avoid spoilers, some smaller plot elements will be discussed.

    Spoilered for length

    Spoiler:


    The Story

    The story begins with the 8th Doctor doing what he does best, travelling through time and space in his old type 40 TARDIS, when all of a sudden Lucie Miller (Sheridan Smith), a seemingly typical Blackpool girl appears in a very Donna Noble style on board his TARDIS. While trying to work out exactly how she got there, the Doctor quickly warms to her and the two go off on a series of adventures together, battling monsters, solving mysteries and running down a whole lot of corridors. Along the way the meet new friends like Tamsin and Alex, old friends like Susan, and a whole heap of enemies. That’s about all I can say without giving too much away.

    The Format

    The format for the first two seasons is fairly consistent, with eight 50-minute episodes each, some acting as single stories while others make up two part adventures. Season 3 sees a notable change in the format, with the eight 50-minute episode format being swapped for one of sixteen 25-minute episodes. This still means the same number of stories, only that single part stories are now made up of two episodes and 2-part stories are now made up of four episodes instead. The length of each story remains the same, with the only real difference being the inclusion of an extra cliff-hanger in the middle of each story. These first three seasons all keep the same cast of Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith.

    It’s during series fourth and final season that things are really shaken up. This season is given an extra 4-part episode, taking the total up to twenty 25 minute episodes. It’s also during this season that we see the biggest change in cast, with the inclusion of several new regulars, namely Niky Wardely as new companion Tamsin Drew, Jake McGann (son of Paul McGann) as the Doctor’s great-grandson Alex, Graeme Garden as a new incarnation of the Meddling Monk, as well as Carol Ann Ford returning as the Doctor’s grand-daughter and very first companion Susan. It’s also worth noting that between the first and second stories of this season, the Big Finish bonus release ‘An Earthly Child’ occurs. This story is technically not an Eighth Doctor Adventure and was not broadcast on BBC7, however, it does introduce Alex and reintroduce Susan who become important characters later in the story and I would highly recommend listening to it as well if you have the chance.

    Is it Any Good?

    The fact that I’m even bothering to write this article pretty much answers that question, but I think a more in depth analysis is needed. Season 1, I’m sorry to say, is not the best the series has to offer. Listening to them, I get the feeling that the Big Finish writers, who are used to writing much longer stories, haven’t quite gotten used to the shorter 50 minute time yet. Both two part stories are brilliant, but most of the single part stories feel a bit squeezed for time. It seems like just as a story is beginning to get off the ground, it’s suddenly over, which is a shame because season 1 has some of the most original story ideas and it would have been great to see them get a lot more fleshed out. The only exception to this is Phobos, an absolutely brilliant story written by Eddie Robson, who also writes that season’s finale story, the 2-parter Human Resources, which is in my opinion the highlight of the season. Despite any problems story wise however, all of the actors are on top form, with Paul McGann really expanding on his Doctor and Sheridan Smith instantly becoming a fan favourite companion.

    It’s during season 2 that the series really finds its footing. The writers finally seem to have wrapped their heads around the 50 minute timeslot with the stories being consistently brilliant. Of particular interest is the second story ‘Max Warp’. The basic premise of the story is Top Gear with spaceships, and a good old murder mystery thrown in for good measure. It’s also during this season that we enjoy the long awaited return of Morbius in the season finale. Without giving too much away, it’s definitely one of the series best stories.

    By season 3, the format of the Doctor and Lucie running about and having adventures is getting a little old, so the writers find a new way to keep it fresh. I can’t really go into too much depth on this matter, but in the first episode we encounter a very different 8th Doctor to the one that had been present in the previous seasons, and it’s very interesting seeing how this affects his relationship with Lucie. My highlight of this season would have to be ‘The Cannibalists’, an interesting tale set on a robot inhabited space station. Of particular note is Phil Davis’ (Fires of Pompeii) portrayal of the evil Titus.

    Season 4 is perhaps the series’ most interesting. For the first time, the series gets not one, but two Christmas specials. Both of these are brilliantly written and both very different. The first, ‘Death in Blackpool’, is a very emotional story that deals with several plot elements that have been in play since nearly the beginning of the series. Once again, it’s hard to really dig into without giving too much away, but the ending is brilliant with both Paul and Sheridan giving their best performances to date. The second Christmas special is a far more light-hearted story, but still manages to deliver on the emotional side when necessary. This story alongside the earlier mentioned ‘An Earthly Child’ deal with Alex’s new found knowledge that his mother Susan is from another planet, as well as the Doctor and Susan’s long awaited reunion. Both are brilliantly executed by both the writers and actors.

    Also introduced in this season is a new companion Tamsin Drew, played by Niky Wardley. She may be a little annoying and will never be as great as Lucie, but she’s definitely still a great character with a great story filled with unforeseeable twists and turns.

    This season, and indeed the entire range, are brought to a crashing end in the finale story ‘Lucie Miller/To the Death’. This story sees the return of the Daleks, who last appeared in season 1’s opening 2-parter. If ever there was a story to remind you exactly why the Dalek’s are the Doctor’s arch-enemies, this is it. The first part of the story ‘Lucie Miller’ is particularly interesting in that it introduces the Doctor fairly late into the story. Up until then we see the story through the eyes of his companions, and how they, as human beings, deal with the Dalek’s latest threat against humanity. The second part ‘To the Death’ is perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction even released within the franchise. I can almost guarantee you’ll cry in it. Why you ask? Well I’m hardly going to tell you, but the title is ‘To the Death’, so that might give you a clue. The final scene is one of the franchises most brilliant. Paul McGann delivers some of his best acting to date, guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.

    Dark Eyes and Into the Future…

    With ‘To the Death’ the Eighth Doctor Adventures may have come to an end, but that doesn’t mean time’s up for the 8th Doctor. Following on from the series thrilling conclusion, Big Finish delivers us a brand new adventure in the form of ‘Dark Eyes’. This story was not broadcast on radio and is available exclusively from Big Finish’s website. It sees the 8th Doctor with a new look and a new companion, battling it out once again with the forces of the Daleks, as well as the mysterious X. This story is much darker that the previous one’s but just as brilliant. The story of the 8th Doctor is still going though, with the announcement of Dark Eyes 2, 3 and 4. While little is known about these releases at this stage, of particular interest is the return of Alex McQueen’s ‘Other Doctor’ from ‘UNIT: Dominion’, another story I must highly recommend.

    Final Thoughts

    I would highly recommend the Eighth Doctor Adventures to any Doctor Who fan. With no baggage from previous Big Finish releases, it’s a brilliant starting point for anyone wanting to get into the audios. Hopefully this article has convinced you to give to range a look, whether it’s something you’ve been meaning to get into for a while or something you’ve never even glanced at. Either way I can guarantee you won’t regret hopping on-board the TARDIS with the 8th Doctor and Lucie Bleedin’ Miller.


  20. #20
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Interesting article about Big Finish Eighth Doctor Adventures

    Getting into the 8th Doctor Audio Adventures


    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/getting...ures-57959.htm

    Guest contributor Nick Ferrazza provides a guide to Big Finish’s 8th Doctor range.

    Last November, Doctor Who fans were treated to a little surprise. Along with the other festivities of the program’s 50th anniversary, we were treated to a spectacular minisode featuring the surprise return of Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor. Since then the internet has exploded with petitions and articles explaining why the 8th Doctor should get more minisodes, or maybe even his own spin-off. What many fans fail to realise however is that the 8th Doctor already received his own spin-off, not on television, but on radio. Between 2007 and 2011, BBC7 broadcast a series of full-cast audio dramas by Big Finish starring Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith. In this article, I plan give a brief overview of the series to fans who have not experienced it in the hope that this may inspire them to do so. Before I begin however, I should point out that, while I have done my best to avoid spoilers, some smaller plot elements will be discussed.

    Spoilered for length

    Spoiler:


    The Story

    The story begins with the 8th Doctor doing what he does best, travelling through time and space in his old type 40 TARDIS, when all of a sudden Lucie Miller (Sheridan Smith), a seemingly typical Blackpool girl appears in a very Donna Noble style on board his TARDIS. While trying to work out exactly how she got there, the Doctor quickly warms to her and the two go off on a series of adventures together, battling monsters, solving mysteries and running down a whole lot of corridors. Along the way the meet new friends like Tamsin and Alex, old friends like Susan, and a whole heap of enemies. That’s about all I can say without giving too much away.

    The Format

    The format for the first two seasons is fairly consistent, with eight 50-minute episodes each, some acting as single stories while others make up two part adventures. Season 3 sees a notable change in the format, with the eight 50-minute episode format being swapped for one of sixteen 25-minute episodes. This still means the same number of stories, only that single part stories are now made up of two episodes and 2-part stories are now made up of four episodes instead. The length of each story remains the same, with the only real difference being the inclusion of an extra cliff-hanger in the middle of each story. These first three seasons all keep the same cast of Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith.

    It’s during series fourth and final season that things are really shaken up. This season is given an extra 4-part episode, taking the total up to twenty 25 minute episodes. It’s also during this season that we see the biggest change in cast, with the inclusion of several new regulars, namely Niky Wardely as new companion Tamsin Drew, Jake McGann (son of Paul McGann) as the Doctor’s great-grandson Alex, Graeme Garden as a new incarnation of the Meddling Monk, as well as Carol Ann Ford returning as the Doctor’s grand-daughter and very first companion Susan. It’s also worth noting that between the first and second stories of this season, the Big Finish bonus release ‘An Earthly Child’ occurs. This story is technically not an Eighth Doctor Adventure and was not broadcast on BBC7, however, it does introduce Alex and reintroduce Susan who become important characters later in the story and I would highly recommend listening to it as well if you have the chance.

    Is it Any Good?

    The fact that I’m even bothering to write this article pretty much answers that question, but I think a more in depth analysis is needed. Season 1, I’m sorry to say, is not the best the series has to offer. Listening to them, I get the feeling that the Big Finish writers, who are used to writing much longer stories, haven’t quite gotten used to the shorter 50 minute time yet. Both two part stories are brilliant, but most of the single part stories feel a bit squeezed for time. It seems like just as a story is beginning to get off the ground, it’s suddenly over, which is a shame because season 1 has some of the most original story ideas and it would have been great to see them get a lot more fleshed out. The only exception to this is Phobos, an absolutely brilliant story written by Eddie Robson, who also writes that season’s finale story, the 2-parter Human Resources, which is in my opinion the highlight of the season. Despite any problems story wise however, all of the actors are on top form, with Paul McGann really expanding on his Doctor and Sheridan Smith instantly becoming a fan favourite companion.

    It’s during season 2 that the series really finds its footing. The writers finally seem to have wrapped their heads around the 50 minute timeslot with the stories being consistently brilliant. Of particular interest is the second story ‘Max Warp’. The basic premise of the story is Top Gear with spaceships, and a good old murder mystery thrown in for good measure. It’s also during this season that we enjoy the long awaited return of Morbius in the season finale. Without giving too much away, it’s definitely one of the series best stories.

    By season 3, the format of the Doctor and Lucie running about and having adventures is getting a little old, so the writers find a new way to keep it fresh. I can’t really go into too much depth on this matter, but in the first episode we encounter a very different 8th Doctor to the one that had been present in the previous seasons, and it’s very interesting seeing how this affects his relationship with Lucie. My highlight of this season would have to be ‘The Cannibalists’, an interesting tale set on a robot inhabited space station. Of particular note is Phil Davis’ (Fires of Pompeii) portrayal of the evil Titus.

    Season 4 is perhaps the series’ most interesting. For the first time, the series gets not one, but two Christmas specials. Both of these are brilliantly written and both very different. The first, ‘Death in Blackpool’, is a very emotional story that deals with several plot elements that have been in play since nearly the beginning of the series. Once again, it’s hard to really dig into without giving too much away, but the ending is brilliant with both Paul and Sheridan giving their best performances to date. The second Christmas special is a far more light-hearted story, but still manages to deliver on the emotional side when necessary. This story alongside the earlier mentioned ‘An Earthly Child’ deal with Alex’s new found knowledge that his mother Susan is from another planet, as well as the Doctor and Susan’s long awaited reunion. Both are brilliantly executed by both the writers and actors.

    Also introduced in this season is a new companion Tamsin Drew, played by Niky Wardley. She may be a little annoying and will never be as great as Lucie, but she’s definitely still a great character with a great story filled with unforeseeable twists and turns.

    This season, and indeed the entire range, are brought to a crashing end in the finale story ‘Lucie Miller/To the Death’. This story sees the return of the Daleks, who last appeared in season 1’s opening 2-parter. If ever there was a story to remind you exactly why the Dalek’s are the Doctor’s arch-enemies, this is it. The first part of the story ‘Lucie Miller’ is particularly interesting in that it introduces the Doctor fairly late into the story. Up until then we see the story through the eyes of his companions, and how they, as human beings, deal with the Dalek’s latest threat against humanity. The second part ‘To the Death’ is perhaps one of the most brilliant pieces of fiction even released within the franchise. I can almost guarantee you’ll cry in it. Why you ask? Well I’m hardly going to tell you, but the title is ‘To the Death’, so that might give you a clue. The final scene is one of the franchises most brilliant. Paul McGann delivers some of his best acting to date, guaranteed to send a shiver down your spine.

    Dark Eyes and Into the Future…

    With ‘To the Death’ the Eighth Doctor Adventures may have come to an end, but that doesn’t mean time’s up for the 8th Doctor. Following on from the series thrilling conclusion, Big Finish delivers us a brand new adventure in the form of ‘Dark Eyes’. This story was not broadcast on radio and is available exclusively from Big Finish’s website. It sees the 8th Doctor with a new look and a new companion, battling it out once again with the forces of the Daleks, as well as the mysterious X. This story is much darker that the previous one’s but just as brilliant. The story of the 8th Doctor is still going though, with the announcement of Dark Eyes 2, 3 and 4. While little is known about these releases at this stage, of particular interest is the return of Alex McQueen’s ‘Other Doctor’ from ‘UNIT: Dominion’, another story I must highly recommend.

    Final Thoughts

    I would highly recommend the Eighth Doctor Adventures to any Doctor Who fan. With no baggage from previous Big Finish releases, it’s a brilliant starting point for anyone wanting to get into the audios. Hopefully this article has convinced you to give to range a look, whether it’s something you’ve been meaning to get into for a while or something you’ve never even glanced at. Either way I can guarantee you won’t regret hopping on-board the TARDIS with the 8th Doctor and Lucie Bleedin’ Miller.

    Good article, it's a shame they didn't talk about the Main Range 8th Doctor adventures, but I can understand why... the spin off range is far more accessible to new listeners.... not only due to format but also due to the fact that it's a clearly defined set...

    I'm going to throw it out there... Dark Eyes didn't wow me... it wasn't BAD, but it just could have been much better... as good as the 8th Doctor Adventures, for example... I hope the next lot improve upon it.

    So far I think I've most enjoyed the 8th Doctor spin off range and the 7th Doctor main range offerings... (the ones with Ace, not Melanie...)


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Stargate audio dramas special offer...
    By JMSwallow in forum SG-1 Merchandise
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM
  2. Stargate audio dramas special offer...
    By JMSwallow in forum SGA Merchandise
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM
  3. New Stargate SG-1 Audio dramas upcoming (Big Finish )
    By Richard Dinnick in forum SG-1 Merchandise
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 28th, 2012, 09:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM
  5. anyone here watch any j-dramas?
    By eri-chan in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •