Big Finish Audio Dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So - My little update.

Listened to a fair bit more Big Finish lately.

Jago and Litefoot S1 and 2 are both fantastic! Easily some of the best DW based drama BF have produced! I would highly recommend it, but make sure you listen to 'The Mahogany Murderers' first!

Despite the awesomeness of Gallifrey 1-3... Gallifrey IV is a bit dull, so unless you're a die hard fan and want to see it through to the final series, don't bother. Really.

There's some really good main range stuff going on, a three-episode sequel to 'Colditz' with Dr Elizabeth Klein, the Nazi from an alternate timeline that is no more, is fantastic! I'd thus highly recommend 'Colditz', 'A thousand tiny wings', 'survival of the fittest' and 'architects of history'!

Lastly, I'm currently listening to 'Heroes of Sontar', a 5th Doctor story, and it's GREAT! The Sontarans aren't quite how they are in New Who, but they're damn funny and lovable in that wonderful Sontaran way! Sontaran marching songs are a blast!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Special Offer on Companion Chronicles Series 1-4 This Weekend!

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/special-...4-this-weekend

In June, our acclaimed range Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles comes to an end. To honour its success, this weekend we are presenting a massive special offer on the first four series - that's 32 titles!

The Companion Chronicles comprise stories told by the companions and friends of the Doctor, and their intimate and emotional storytelling has been a huge hit with listeners.

The first four seasons are on special offer, with individual titles costing just £5 each (£2.99 on download!!!). These seasons include some of the many classics in the range including Home Truths performed by Jean Marsh as Sara Kingdom, The Mahogany Murderers which reintroduced Christopher Benjamin and Trevor Baxter as Jago and Litefoot, The Glorious Revolution performed by Frazer Hines as Jamie, The Suiffering with Peter Purves and Maureen O'Brien as Steven and Vicki, and the much-loved Solitaire which pits Charley (India Fisher) against the Celestial Toymaker (David Bailie).

Season bundles work out even cheaper!

The Companions Chronicles - The Specials Box Set, which includes The Three Companions (Anneke Wills, Nicholas Courtney and John Pickard) and The Mists of Time (Katy Manning), is also on offer for just £10.

It's a not to be missed opportunity to catch up with the range - but hurry, the offer ends on Monday morning!

Comment

OMG!

Just listening to 'The Silver Turk' a wonderful look at the Eighth Doctor before he mey Charley.... and it has THE best theme...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's amazing the different variations you can get on one piece of music. I rather enjoy listening what people have put on this site from time to time.

Comment

Nice!

I've just started listening to the 4th Doctor boxset (Tom Baker's first Big Finish offering). I'm ten minutes in and I'm chuckling like mad! Tom Baker at his absolute best! I'd forgotten how great he is!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's not Doctor Who, but I must recommend the recent "Survivors: Series 1" release. I just finished it the other day and frelling loved it.

Hey FOB, what was that horror release you recommended a while back? I've forgotten, and I'm hungry for some new BF goodness
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                It's not Doctor Who, but I must recommend the recent "Survivors: Series 1" release. I just finished it the other day and frelling loved it.

Hey FOB, what was that horror release you recommended a while back? I've forgotten, and I'm hungry for some new BF goodness
                I've been toying with Survivors, but I'm not sure about starting a new range.... I think I'll bankrupt myself! Does sound very good though!

The audio horror was 'Dark Shadows: Beyond the Grave', it really was excellent!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I've jotted down the name of the horror & I'll buy it before Halloween. Listen to it in the dark.

I'm a fan of Survivors. On the TV I loved the new rebooted version & I'm making my way slowly through the original series. I remember the original version being on TV when I was younger but my parents wouldn't let me watch it. So I'm really interested in the Big Finish version but I just can't afford it at the moment. I'll put it on my Birthday/Xmas wish list though. I may get lucky.

My latest Big Finish was their new Blake's 7 audio, Caged. Fantastic! Everything from the story, to the acting, to the music, to the production, are all spot on. I could be listening to an original TV episode. I'll thrilled to bits with their Blake's 7 range, I really am.

Have any of us come across a Big Finish story we didn't like? I don't think I have. I don't like the Companion Chronicles as much as their full cast dramas, but even then I still think they are entertaining. Far better than a lot of the drivel on TV these days anyway.

BTW Flyboy I don't think we succeeded at all in getting anyone on here interested in the Stargate stuff. Well, we tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I've been toying with Survivors, but I'm not sure about starting a new range.... I think I'll bankrupt myself! Does sound very good though!
                    It's still short and relatively cheap right now! The only release has been Series 1, which is four 1h episodes. When I bought, it was $20 (or maybe £20, I forget) for the whole thing (download, not physical). And Series 2 isn't due out for another year. Which is sad, but it's kind to the wallet

The audio horror was 'Dark Shadows: Beyond the Grave', it really was excellent!
                    Ahhh okay. For some reason I was thinking it was the Dorian Gray line, so when I was shopping last night I picked its first series up for cheap. Listened to episode 1 on my way in to work this morning, not bad so far. I'm as-yet undecided on whether or not I'll continue it once I finish series 1, but I was entertained enough by episode 1 that I've no qualms about finishing the whole first series. Time will tell I guess--maybe I'll get really into it!

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                    I'm a fan of Survivors. On the TV I loved the new rebooted version & I'm making my way slowly through the original series. I remember the original version being on TV when I was younger but my parents wouldn't let me watch it. So I'm really interested in the Big Finish version but I just can't afford it at the moment. I'll put it on my Birthday/Xmas wish list though. I may get lucky
                    I had not heard of the TV series before hearing about Big Finish's line, so it was all new to me. Very very happy with it! So I think I may have to go check out the two TV shows as well, now

Have any of us come across a Big Finish story we didn't like? I don't think I have. I don't like the Companion Chronicles as much as their full cast dramas, but even then I still think they are entertaining. Far better than a lot of the drivel on TV these days anyway.
                    There have been one or two Doctor Who stories I wasn't all that impressed with. Not being European myself, the Seventh Doctor story that lampooned Eurovision (Bang-Bang-A-Boom if I remember right) came across just...annoying.

I was also really sick of Charley by the end of her run with the Eighth Doctor, to the point that I had zero interest in following her into the Sixth Doctors stories--and even less interest in checking out her standalone line.

That said though, I absolutely agree that most BF is vastly better than "the drivel on TV."

BTW Flyboy I don't think we succeeded at all in getting anyone on here interested in the Stargate stuff. Well, we tried.
                    Heh... I'm a fan of Stargate, and I'm a fan of BF, and yet I have almost no interest in checking out the BF Stargate stories. Go figure!
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've jotted down the name of the horror & I'll buy it before Halloween. Listen to it in the dark.

I'm a fan of Survivors. On the TV I loved the new rebooted version & I'm making my way slowly through the original series. I remember the original version being on TV when I was younger but my parents wouldn't let me watch it. So I'm really interested in the Big Finish version but I just can't afford it at the moment. I'll put it on my Birthday/Xmas wish list though. I may get lucky.

My latest Big Finish was their new Blake's 7 audio, Caged. Fantastic! Everything from the story, to the acting, to the music, to the production, are all spot on. I could be listening to an original TV episode. I'll thrilled to bits with their Blake's 7 range, I really am.

Regretfully, I have come across a few that I didn't like. Most significantly was The Wormery, which was a Doctor Who/Iris Wildthyme cross over part of the main range. I'm sorry, but the character of Iris is just one that offends me, and her range is the only one I have no interest in. Played by Katy Manning, she's basically a drunken, middle aged inappropriate woman. Not a fan.

I also didn't like the Eighth Doctor's adventures in the Divergent universe. I though Scherzo was awful, as was A Brief History of Fear. They were dire. I later found out that McGann was losing interest at that time - it really showed.

But by and large, the majority has been amazing.

Though it IS odd we couldn't convince people about the SG audios....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I had not heard of the TV series before hearing about Big Finish's line, so it was all new to me. Very very happy with it! So I think I may have to go check out the two TV shows as well, now
                        I got into the show with the new reboot (as I said before, my parents wouldn't let me watch the original) and I absolutely loved it. You can get both on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I think it fair to warn you that the reboot does end on an almighty cliffhanger as the BBC cancelled it. However, it's well worth watching anyway. This is one of the few series that I would recommend despite the lack of an ending. I got some of my friends here on GW to watch it & they loved it as well.

There have been one or two Doctor Who stories I wasn't all that impressed with. Not being European myself, the Seventh Doctor story that lampooned Eurovision (Bang-Bang-A-Boom if I remember right) came across just...annoying.
                        Yes that's the Eurovision all right. One of the most annoying programmes on TV IMO. It's a Marmite programme, you either love it or hate it.

Heh... I'm a fan of Stargate, and I'm a fan of BF, and yet I have almost no interest in checking out the BF Stargate stories. Go figure!
                        I wonder why that is? How strange.

Regretfully, I have come across a few that I didn't like. Most significantly was The Wormery, which was a Doctor Who/Iris Wildthyme cross over part of the main range. I'm sorry, but the character of Iris is just one that offends me, and her range is the only one I have no interest in. Played by Katy Manning, she's basically a drunken, middle aged inappropriate woman. Not a fan.
                        I haven't listened to any Iris yet. Though I am a bit of a Katy Manning fan. LOL. I could very well pass for a drunken, middle aged, inappropriate woman myself.

I may give them a go, if they are cheap enough, but I have plenty of other stuff I want to try first, so they are way down on my list of purchases.

Though it IS odd we couldn't convince people about the SG audios....
                        I honestly don't know why. I've been pondering on it. Could it be that Stargate relies on more visual action, whereas Doctor Who etc relies more on the spoken word and thoughts?

I dunno.

Comment

I honestly don't know why. I've been pondering on it. Could it be that Stargate relies on more visual action, whereas Doctor Who etc relies more on the spoken word and thoughts?

I dunno.
                          Dare I suggest.... people miss their eye candy?

On a side note, *really* have to reccomend the Eighth Doctor and Mary Shelley trilogy. It takes Eight back to the days when he was young and care free, before he became a broken man (Eight *really* gets whumped by Big Finish, a lot more so than any other Doctor...). They're awesome!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I have a short story with the 8th Doctor & Mary Shelley. It was very good, but I do prefer longer stories if possible so I'm pleased to hear there are others worth listening to.

Digi, good news about Survivors. Big Finish have announced series 2 & 3. Though I guess it's bad news for your wallet.

Survivors - Series 2 and 3 for 2015

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/survivor...3-is-announced

Survivors, our full cast audio series based on the 1970s TV classic by Terry Nation, has been released to much acclaim and top marks reviews…

‘Compelling, arresting, devastating, invigorating, heartening and more than a little frightening, Survivors: Series One is probably about as good as the audio medium gets. More than recommended; required listening.’ 10/10 - JR Southall, Starburst

‘There’s been a lot of talk about this being the best thing that Big Finish has ever done, and I would agree… A triumph across the board.’ 10/10 - Paul Simpson, Sci-Fi Bulletin

We are delighted to reveal that, thanks to the success of the Series 1, production will be stepped up with two box sets planned for next year. Series 2 will be released in June 2015, while series 3 will be release in November 2015.

“We couldn’t have asked for a better reception for Survivors,” says producer David Richardson. “The series has been a labour of love for us, so it’s just wonderful that it is loved so much by our listeners too. We’re already at work on Series 2 and 3, and promise that it will remain just as intense, dramatic and compelling as Series 1.”

Survivors portrays a post apocalyptic world in which most of humanity has been wiped out by plague. It contains mature themes, and is not recommended for younger listeners.
                            Last edited by Blencathra; 16 June 2014, 09:27 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Oooh a third series too, you say! I already had Series 2 preordered, glad to hear there will be more!

I kind of f'ed up a bit on the Dark Shadows story... As a general rule, for 'darker' stories, I prefer to listen in bed at night in the dark. Unfortunately, this meant I fell asleep--two nights in a row--while trying to give it a go. Then yesterday afternoon, I listened to it all in the car (bright, sunny afternoon)....and wished I had listened to it in the dark after all. D'oh Anyway it was really good

I've been digging the Dorian Gray series so far too. I've only listened to the adaptation of the original Wilde book + two of the BF originals, but it is pretty neat so far.

Comment

Oh Good God!

I'm half way through Protect and Survive, and dear GOD - it's chilling. Was listening to it in bed last night, and quite frankly it kept me bolt awake for the first two halves (at which point I decided I *needed* sleep!), it's genuinely an unsettling story - in a FANTASTIC WAY! Can't recommend this one enough! Such a convincing portrayal of the terrors of nuclear war and the sheer uncertainty and fear of the Cold War.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X