Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 910
  1. #41
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    ^



    Finished Dark Eyes off... I liked it, though not as much as I did the NEDA range.
    Yes! I found that. I just don't like Molly... maybe it's because I KNOW she's putting the accent on... but... whilst it was good, it just wasn't NEDA material.... I also have not taken to The Doctor's 'new look' in Dark Eyes. If BF have anything about them, they'll cash in on NotD and move towards Eight looking as he did there...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  2. #42
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    I found it a bit puzzling that it had his 'new look' on the cover, but the in-episode dialogue pretty explicitly described the movie outfit and hair.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  3. #43
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I found it a bit puzzling that it had his 'new look' on the cover, but the in-episode dialogue pretty explicitly described the movie outfit and hair.
    Yeah, I was kinda waiting for the point at which he actually got a new outfit... like... a haircut when in hospital to conform to military regs etc...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  4. #44
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Question...what on Earth is up with Big Finish's pricing system?

    As you may have guessed from the speed of my listening I didn't exactly do so legitimately...but I enjoyed so much that I'm now going back and buying every last one that I listened to. I'm just a bit baffled that some (ie the Charley stories) are only about $9 a pop, while the Mary Shelly ones are around $25 each

    In any case, I just bought 13 stories on CD. That's a start until I can balls up enough to drop another $150+
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  5. #45
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Question...what on Earth is up with Big Finish's pricing system?

    As you may have guessed from the speed of my listening I didn't exactly do so legitimately...but I enjoyed so much that I'm now going back and buying every last one that I listened to. I'm just a bit baffled that some (ie the Charley stories) are only about $9 a pop, while the Mary Shelly ones are around $25 each

    In any case, I just bought 13 stories on CD. That's a start until I can balls up enough to drop another $150+
    It's part of the 'Big Finish for a Fiver' thing. The first 50 Monthly stories are all £5 each. After that they're about £15. Spin off stories, with less big names and a shorter run time are usually around £10 for new ones, and in many instances, £5 for older ones (like I, Davros).


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  6. #46
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    That certainly bodes well for my wallet. Or at least, better...
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  7. #47
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    That certainly bodes well for my wallet. Or at least, better...


    Also - if you subscribe you usually get things cheaper. Doctor Who Unbound, for example, (which I've not had the pleasure of yet), costs £5 each (total of 8) but about £30 for the lot in a oner...

    EDIT:

    I've just purchased S1-3 of Jago & Litefoot. That's THIS months purchases.... next month it's going to be the next 12 monthly audios (after Army of Darkness) and the 4th Doctor S1-2 subscription...

    I'm loving it so far, but am finding every other Main Range drama to be a bit substandard, alas. It seems to me like with the increasing range of spin offs and side dramas, the main range may have suffered a little more... "Nocturne" and "Year of the Pig" were both dismal...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  8. #48
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Have either of you had any problems receiving CDs?

    I placed a large order on 8th January, which I still haven't received. Nor have I had any response to e-mails sent. This seems odd to me, as I've always found Big Finish to be very helpful in the past. I don't know whether to be worried or not.

    Incidentally I know I can download the audios from my account page on Big Finish but I prefer to have CDs.

    Edit - I'm now trying to get a response via their Forum. Let's see if that works.

    Edit edit - Reading other peoples comments, it seems there is a large backlog of orders waiting to be sent out. Some people are waiting for CDs ordered before Christmas.
    Last edited by Blencathra; February 7th, 2014 at 01:26 AM.

  9. #49
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Hmm so I'll be waiting a long time for my order then? Poo. Oh well, I guess that kind of karmically balances out my earlier need for NOWNOWNOW...
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  10. #50
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    You may get them Digi. I also ordered a Blake's 7 CD on 22nd January and that arrived promptly (bloody good it was too! ). I don't know why some orders are being sent and others are not. I wonder if the increase in their popularity has caught Big Finish off guard.

    BTW you will be able to download your CDs from your account page. I could do that with my order if I wanted to, but my preferred method of listening is on my CD player.

    Edit - Got a response on the Big Finish Forum. My order should have arrived by now, so they are re-sending it.
    Last edited by Blencathra; February 7th, 2014 at 04:16 AM.

  11. #51
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    You may get them Digi. I also ordered a Blake's 7 CD on 22nd January and that arrived promptly (bloody good it was too! ).
    Hmmmm...I guess I will just have to see then! I also have the transit time (and oh lord, the customs duties) of international shipping to contend with. They gave me a rather broad delivery estimate (28 days), so I have some time to just wait and see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I don't know why some orders are being sent and others are not. I wonder if the increase in their popularity has caught Big Finish off guard.
    Yeah and damn you and FOB both for that, thank you very much

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    BTW you will be able to download your CDs from your account page. I could do that with my order if I wanted to, but my preferred method of listening is on my CD player.
    I noticed that yes...I guess it isn't available for everything, but it is for most things. At any rate, I did order physical CDs and will continue to do so.

    I've got almost all of the classic DW DVDs (I think I'm down to about 4 I'm still missing), which ended up being a lot more shelf space than I wanted to give up for all those DVD cases. So what I ended up doing was buying one of those binders with disc pages, which holds something like 250-300 discs, and migrated all the DVDs over to that and just boxed up the cases.

    So getting the BF audios on CD is going to be nice; I can add them into my Who binder about where I figure they fit into the chronology of it all. Plus, Paul McGann is finally going to have more than one entry





    On another note, I almost made myself late for work this morning, listening to the Seventh Doctor story Flip-Flop. Of all the audios I've listened to so far, this one definitely ranks very close to the top. Just could not stop listening (to time being twisted into a pretzel), and my brain is still broken by the ending--I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it all resolved.

    If you've not heard it, or not listened to much of the Seventh range, I highly highly recommend it. Because, wow.

    Alternatively, Bang-Bang-A-Boom was absolutely cringe-inducingly bad. I don't know how (or why) I even managed to finish the thing!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  12. #52
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    So last night, I discovered that the Big Finish website is AGONIZINGLY slow. I ponied up and bought the CD bundle of Dark Eyes 2-4, but given their shipping cycle I decided to download it from their site in the interim.

    No faster than 30 kb/s the whole time I was keeping an eye on it. I had to leave the thing running overnight!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  13. #53
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Yeah and damn you and FOB both for that, thank you very much
    You're welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I've got almost all of the classic DW DVDs (I think I'm down to about 4 I'm still missing), which ended up being a lot more shelf space than I wanted to give up for all those DVD cases. So what I ended up doing was buying one of those binders with disc pages, which holds something like 250-300 discs, and migrated all the DVDs over to that and just boxed up the cases.

    So getting the BF audios on CD is going to be nice; I can add them into my Who binder about where I figure they fit into the chronology of it all. Plus, Paul McGann is finally going to have more than one entry
    ooo.... see, I have my DW DVDs in a similar folder... you've now tempted me to do just the same with the audios and the DW DVDs in one... *plots*


    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    On another note, I almost made myself late for work this morning, listening to the Seventh Doctor story Flip-Flop. Of all the audios I've listened to so far, this one definitely ranks very close to the top. Just could not stop listening (to time being twisted into a pretzel), and my brain is still broken by the ending--I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it all resolved.

    If you've not heard it, or not listened to much of the Seventh range, I highly highly recommend it. Because, wow.

    Alternatively, Bang-Bang-A-Boom was absolutely cringe-inducingly bad. I don't know how (or why) I even managed to finish the thing!
    Flip-Flop is excellent!!! But SO timey-wimey, and I think a LITTLE against the laws of physics (Captain!), even Who's 'laws'...

    Bang-bang-a-boom?

    Well... yes. It's *meant* to be cringe-worthy.... that's why it's great! It was a parody of US television sci-fi and the Eurovision song contest at the same time... I suspect it was Brit humour, but everyone in it was meant to be a a cliche! And Logon was a take on good ol' Terry Wogan...

    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    So last night, I discovered that the Big Finish website is AGONIZINGLY slow. I ponied up and bought the CD bundle of Dark Eyes 2-4, but given their shipping cycle I decided to download it from their site in the interim.

    No faster than 30 kb/s the whole time I was keeping an eye on it. I had to leave the thing running overnight!
    Hm, odd, I've NEVER had probs with their site...



    I've been listening to some great ones recently...

    Frozen Time is an all time favourite 7th Doctor story now, highly recommend - great new approach to a certain reptilianesque species in Who... (spoilers!). Also been re-listening to NEDA again, as part of my 'marathon'. Really DO love 'Human Resources' and the Cybermen... in fact, they've rapidly climbed to be one of my favourite villains of all time...


    "Five Rounds Rapid"




  14. #54
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    I'm absolutely kicking myself that I didn't start to listen to Big Finish stuff earlier. There are so many excellent plays to listen to. I do wish I'd started years ago.

    At the moment I'm very slowly making my way through the Main Range. Though last night I took a slight detour & listened to Blake's 7 Battlefield, which was fantastic and left me on such a cliffhanger!! Arrgghhh! I can't wait for the next one! [BTW It amused me that Dan "Strax" Starkey was in it and the planet they visited was called Straxis.]

    I think tonight I really need to refresh my memory of Dark Eyes before (hopefully) starting Dark Eyes 2 tomorrow.

  15. #55
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Big Finish are having a sale on Companion Chronicles series 1-4 - £5 each CD or download.

    http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doct...l-offer-now-on
    Last edited by Blencathra; February 14th, 2014 at 08:07 AM.

  16. #56
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Wheeeee! Dark Eyes 2 has just come in the post! But unfortunately my daughter wants me to take her shopping so I can't listen to it just yet.

  17. #57
    Colonel Flyboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    7,933

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    Wheeeee! Dark Eyes 2 has just come in the post! But unfortunately my daughter wants me to take her shopping so I can't listen to it just yet.
    I'm delaying listening to it until my marathon reaches it... Which is *kinda* frustrating....

  18. #58
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Listened to LIVE 34 the other day. Ooh that was a fun one!


    In BF news, apparently there's a new Seventh Doctor trilogy of stories on the way.


    SAMUEL WEST JOINS THE SEVENTH DOCTOR
    The next Doctor Who trilogy starring Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor was completed in studio today, with special guest Samuel West in attendance, playing Aristophanes!

    It turns out that the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) has quite a bit invested in famed Greek playwright Aristophanes (Samuel West - son of acting legends Timothy West and Prunella Scales, star of Any Human Heart, Mr Selfridge and currently on TV screens in Fleming). The Doctor, Ace (Sophie Aldred) and Hex (Philip Olivier) drop by for a visit in one of our two main range September releases, Doctor Who: Mask of Tragedy.

    Written by James Goss with a beautiful blend of the tragic and comic, there's romance, drama on an epic scale and a spot of feminism thrown in. But to say more would be to give too much away!

    Doctor Who: Mask of Tragedy is the second story in this year's main range Seventh Doctor trilogy. Already recorded is Jonathan Morris's Revenge of the Swarm, featuring the return of the monster last seen in TV story The Invisible Enemy, and Signs & Wonders by Matt Fitton, which wraps the trilogy up and is also already in the can.




    Now I have to figure out when these stories occur!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  19. #59
    Lieutenant General DigiFluid's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,845

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Well since I last posted I've listened to a ton, and spent a ridiculous amount of money at the BF website. And still I want MORE!

    Related: Listened to the Seventh Doctor (sorta) story "Protect and Survive" last night. Holy freaking grim, Batman. Loved it. While there are a few misses here and there, I'm blown away by how much I'm enjoying the Seventh Doctor's stories. Makes me think that maybe I ought to check out Fifth's & Sixth's stories too, even though they were far from my favourite Doctors.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

  20. #60
    General Blencathra's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    26,460

    Default Re: Big Finish Audio Dramas

    Aren't they fantastic!

    I haven't listened to anywhere near as many as I would like to. I have them lined up ready & waiting but no time to listen to them.

    Though last night I did get chance to listen to The Scorchies, a companion chronicle with Katy Manning. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It reminded me very much of the kiddies programmes I used to watch when I was little (many moons ago )

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Stargate audio dramas special offer...
    By JMSwallow in forum SG-1 Merchandise
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
  2. Stargate audio dramas special offer...
    By JMSwallow in forum SGA Merchandise
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 13th, 2013, 01:22 AM
  3. New Stargate SG-1 Audio dramas upcoming (Big Finish )
    By Richard Dinnick in forum SG-1 Merchandise
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 1st, 2008, 07:20 AM
  5. anyone here watch any j-dramas?
    By eri-chan in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •