• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girl In the Flower Dress (105)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON ONE
    GIRL IN THE FLOWER DRESS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 105
    After a street performer with pyro-kinetic abilities is abducted by a woman promising to help him exploit his gift, S.H.I.E.L.D. is dispatched to Asia to find him. Meanwhile, a hacking by the Rising Tide throws fresh suspicion on Skye’s loyalties.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 October 2013, 09:39 PM.

I'm sad to say that I just may be giving this show a miss from now on.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

I liked this episode. The best so far for me. Of coarse it raises many questions like why didn't that guy's clothes burn. Or who is flying the bus when the one lady isn't? And biggest question of all what is the deal with the flower dresses?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
        I liked this episode. The best so far for me. Of coarse it raises many questions like why didn't that guy's clothes burn. Or who is flying the bus when the one lady isn't? And biggest question of all what is the deal with the flower dresses?
        1.) I suspect the clothes burning thing was just to make things less expensive (make-up, CGI, time/shooting schedules).

It might indeed have been a very interesting visual to have him somewhat on fire and wrestling to control the flames for attack, defense and to stop himself from becoming a cinder.

2.) They sorta' kinda' addressed the "Who's flying the plane?" issue when Coulson asked for a re-direct of their flight plan, and May said, "Already done." This means that either there's some kind of high-tech interface which allows her to control the plane while not in the cockpit, or, there is an actual pilot and the producers just aren't showing him/her. (Anyone have any other options? ?)

3.) The dress probably has the power of "looking damn good!" on her.

Otherwise:

a.) Flower dress lady should be on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar soon, wouldn't she? I suspect that the guy in prison she was visiting would be having his visits monitored, not so much that there would be be people listening in, but certainly there would be a visual record of who came to see this guy, no? I've never been in prison so I'm making an assumption here.

b.) Just how long did it take May to track down Sky? The impression I got was that Coulson had her on the go right away, so why, and for how long a period of time, did she wait around outside the guy's apartment? Was there was a sock on the door handle or something?

c.) The "kids" reaction to Sky's betrayal was annoying.

d.) Is Sky's (now former?) boyfriend really *that* naive? Was the one million dollars price tag a tribute to Austin Powers movies?

e.) The plane seems to have more rooms than a TARDIS. I'm waiting to see the pool in the library.

f.) This "centipede" thing makes me thing of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s old enemy organization, H.Y.D.R.A. Multiple legs vs. a potential infinite number of heads, for each lost "two more shall take its place!"

Spoiler:
        Maybe "flower dress lady" is Viper (aka Madame Hydra)?

g.) Aside from this episode of S.H.I.E.L.D., Shannon Lucio (Debbie) was also in tonight's episode of Supernatural (April Kelly).

h.) Why did it take so long for Coulson and May to try and trank "Scorch"? A burning hole through the chest of their HK operative should have told them that, trying to talk this guy down wasn't going to be a very high success probability course of action. And why did Coulson unload his clip of darts as he did?

i.) I saw no reason why Ward would have brought the boyfriend along when he was sent to get Skye. This being said, it was really convenient (and unexpected) that his skills were necessary to complete the mission...

j.) It will be interesting to see what happens (if they ever do show it) if someone tries to tamper with those bracelets. It could be used as a comic aside: Sky asks about what happens if someone tampers with one of these bracelets. Coulson tells her the consequences are "X". She's not sure she believes him. Jump cut to the boyfriend who is currently facing the consequences of tampering with his bracelet (he's been turned green, his hair has fallen out, a SWAT team has raided his house...).

k.) Skye should be getting the cold shoulder from the rest of the team for at least the next two to three episodes. Anything less and she's being let off easy by the writers.

l.) I don't recall that the team had ever previously used the kind of sensor which May had in this episode.
        Spoiler:
        I wonder if it will ever make a re-appearance or will be forgotten like the X-ray glasses from last episode.

m.) (almost midnight - bed time)

regards,
        G.
        Last edited by Gollumpus; 03 December 2013, 07:30 PM.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

m.) Interesting game selection used (Battleship) to reflect a lot of the action in this series.

ST: original series used their version of chess, and indeed there was a lot of strategy used by the characters in how the action was advanced.
          ***Edit: it also brought forward the idea of space battles being in three dimensions rather than the traditional Earth-based battles where the action takes place only on two. ***

ST:NG used poker as their game of choice. The idea of bluffing the opposition, rather than fighting, was very significant in several episodes over their entire run. We frequently saw this game being used to develop this skill in the main cast.

Battleship is a game of time and space. In S.H.I.E.L.D. there is a lot of hiding of assets from the view of the opposition, and misdirection as to where they are located within a given amount of space. You also have to be able to figure out where they have placed their assets, and what is the best strategy for doing this, before the other guy's strategy pays off and he sinks you.

Using this fast and "simple", child's game (note the comma) is a very appropriate choice. You gai an insight into how the other person's mind works. I don't know if we'll ever see it again (or often) as it has the misfortune of only being a two-person game.

regards,
          G.
          Last edited by Gollumpus; 23 October 2013, 08:40 AM.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

I thought the first few episodes were just purely boring.
            I was just about to ditch this show. I'm glad I didn't.

I see some change here.
            I just couldn't understand why Skye would became loyal to S.H.I.E.L.D. that fast back during the pilot. It's just not possible. She had to slip sooner or later. Now I think Skye doesn't really have the word 'loyal' in her book. I think she's just on the side of whoever she likes. I mean she was on her boyfriend's side till she found out he sold info for money. Now she's with S.H.I.E.L.D. just because she likes Ward and as long as she does, I think she can be trusted for sure.

I really like the character of May. She's one of those people who could never be held back by emotions. She knows how to do the job.

OK, I see now there's an evil bunch to look out for. That's good for a change.

IS this gonna be "superhero of the week that loses control"? I want to see one of these people choosing to join them. I want to see someone with powers on the team. Someone who'd be with them on their field job. That'd be a lot better.

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            2.) They sorta' kinda' addressed the "Who's flying the plane?" issue when Coulson asked for a re-direct of their flight plan, and May said, "Already done." This means that either there's some kind of high-tech interface which allows her to control the plane while not in the cockpit, or, there is an actual pilot and the producers just aren't showing him/her. (Anyone have any other options? ?)
            Actually, no one was flying it. It was on the ground. They landed it before they left.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgharrah View Post
              IS this gonna be "superhero of the week that loses control"? I want to see one of these people choosing to join them. I want to see someone with powers on the team. Someone who'd be with them on their field job. That'd be a lot better.
              As I see it, there is a series story arc being developed (derived from the films) where these kinds of plots could be fairly common. The Avengers have already been established to handle the larger problems. In this show, it looks like S.H.I.E.L.D. is handling the smaller problems.

The risk of having someone with powers in the group is finding reasons for that person not to dominate the screen time. I suspect it's difficult enough for the writers to try and rein in May (or even Coulson), and all of the high tech gadgets the team have, let alone adding a super hero to the mix.

Too much of this sort of power and you have to create a corresponding jump in the powers, abilities and tech of the opposition, no? I suppose a lot would depend on the nature of the power(s) available to this character.

Another angle on this is, the show is supposed to be about "normal" humans, who are very highly trained and capable of handling these kinds of unusual situations. Or at least that is my view of what it's all supposed to be about. Putting one or more folks from the spandex crowd in there (at least as a regular cast member) diminishes this theme.

It might be nice to see an episode or two where the team must face off against an opposing group of highly trained and well equipped operatives (as opposed to a group of mercenaries, or a bunch of hackers).

Actually, no one was flying it. It was on the ground. They landed it before they left.
              I thought that sequence took place in the air. I recall seeing a shot of the plane in flight, and then a cut to an interior shot where the team was being briefed about Skye's friend. Coulson announces that they have to change their destination to Texas, and May says, "Already done." I think I can get another chance to see it later this week, and I'll double check for us.

In any event, May clearly communicates with a computer(?) somewhere and relays instructions, so I guess there's still no flight crew.

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

The risk of having someone with powers in the group is finding reasons for that person not to dominate the screen time. I suspect it's difficult enough for the writers to try and rein in May (or even Coulson), and all of the high tech gadgets the team have, let alone adding a super hero to the mix.

Too much of this sort of power and you have to create a corresponding jump in the powers, abilities and tech of the opposition, no? I suppose a lot would depend on the nature of the power(s) available to this character.
                I guess you're right about that.

I thought that sequence took place in the air. I recall seeing a shot of the plane in flight, and then a cut to an interior shot where the team was being briefed about Skye's friend. Coulson announces that they have to change their destination to Texas, and May says, "Already done." I think I can get another chance to see it later this week, and I'll double check for us.

In any event, May clearly communicates with a computer(?) somewhere and relays instructions, so I guess there's still no flight crew.
                Oh and I'm pretty sure the plane was on on the ground in a very wide area.

Comment

I liked this episode. It's making this centipede villain a little more built up and showed some interesting insights into the primary cast.

If any of us get upset about the condition of the clothing a superhero wears, we might as well all give up on the genre. If superhero clothing was subject to the laws of nature they would all end up nude 95% of the time...and most of us don't want to see that.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think she was holding some kind of tablet at the time, so she probably adjusted the destination on the autopilot.

Comment

Perhaps its somewhat hypnotic?
                      Also who was that in the jail at the end of the ep?

j.) It will be interesting to see what happens (if they ever do show it) if someone tries to tamper with those bracelets. It could be used as a comic aside: Sky asks about what happens if someone tampers with one of these bracelets. Coulson tells her the consequences are "X". She's not sure she believes him. Jump cut to the boyfriend who is currently facing the consequences of tampering with his bracelet (he's been turned green, his hair has fallen out, a SWAT team has raided his house...).
                      Perhaps they generate some sort of skin covering EM field that prohibits the wearer using computers/cell phones etc..?

k.) Skye should be getting the cold shoulder from the rest of the team for at least the next two to three episodes. Anything less and she's being let off easy by the writers.
                      They should, but i also would like to know how much of her 'story to coulson' was true? Seems a little convenientto me.

I really like the character of May. She's one of those people who could never be held back by
                      emotions. She knows how to do the job.
                      Her action scenes in this weeks ep reminded me a little of when she played Chun Li in the street fighter film..

With the mentioning of that "LIST" it made me wonder what a person has to do to get on it? It also makes me wonder is the "Shield verse" in the same universe as Marvel's The Xmen and such....'

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                        I think she was holding some kind of tablet at the time, so she probably adjusted the destination on the autopilot.
                        Yep. She types it into a tablet in the shot right before he tells her to set course. The plane's engines rev and everything.

Isn't it great that all hackers are apparently good looking. I was way off about that. Single Male seeks Single Female Hacker!

I have to say that I totally didn't buy the whole Scorch going overboard deal. It just didn't seem to fit.

Seriously, this episode was NOT good. Could have been, but throwing things in like the Hacker love scene was just ridiculous.

"If you want to help me; help me find my clothes."

Comment

Oh and I'm pretty sure the plane was on on the ground in a very wide area.
                          Nope.

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                          Yep. She types it into a tablet in the shot right before he tells her to set course. The plane's engines rev and everything.
                          Yup. I finally got a chance to re-watch this episode. Definitely in the air, communication done with a remote device, and unless there's a pilot off-screen, the message was to an auto-pilot.

W/E. I would have liked to have seen more on this storyline and the dress lady.

regards,
                          G.
                          Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                          X