General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Ship ( Relationship) Discussion

This thread is for the discussion of ship on Stargate SG-1 in general.

What are the pros and cons of inserting romance into a sci-fi show?
    What's your favorite pairing other/beside Jack and Sam?
    What do you think of ship in a ship? ;-)

Update : This thread /topic title has been broadened to encompass "Ship discussion" of all the Stargate Shows /Ship pairings ,and can also include comparisons of Ship pairings in SG vs Ship in other Scifi shows,and other shows where relevant.

This thread's open to all members,whatever their preferred Ships/Slashes/Noromo opinions.

Keep it civil,be tactful towards each other's preferences ,and have fun !

Please spoiler-tag unaired ep details of other shows where relevant and if anyone is new to SG Fandom,use spoiler tags if asked to do so ,too.

Bagpuss
    GateWorld Moderation Team.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 23 October 2012, 03:06 PM. Reason: Altered the piece about spoilers.

I can't believe you started this thread before me.

1) The pros are that I love a little romance if it's well done. I think it adds a little more humanity to the storyline. What can I say I'm a sucker for a good love story. The cons are that it can take away from the overall storylines and there is always the possablity of the show turning into a "soap opera" if it's not done well.

2) I was kind of a Daniel/Janet shipper but well.....need I go on?

3) Ship in a ship? (I love Joe M BTW) What's not love? I like ship in a ship and ship in a boat. I like ship in a car and ship in a moat. I like ship here, I like ship there I like ship everywhere. (My homage, however pathetic, to Dr. Suess)
    Last edited by Shipperahoy; 01 May 2004, 05:32 PM.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

ROFLMAO, that were some succint and memorable answers!

Comment

Yes well I try.

So are you going to answer your own questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
          This thread is for the discussion of ship on Stargate SG-1 in general.
          Cons: It takes away from the overall storyline and causes divisions.

umm...anyone. Seriously...I'd rather not see it amongst the main characters at all.

What do you think of ship in a ship? ;-)
          Not sure you really want my answer to that one.
          Webbgirl
          Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
          My Livejournal

Comment

So I was just wondering if they had Sam and Jack just get together with no real fanfare and then they were just together but the storylines didn't focus on it would you still hate it?

Or if they completely stopped the overt ship and just had them get together at the end? That is what I've always wanted. The subtle UST that could be read either way and then they could be together at the end of the series. To me that wouldn't take away from the storylines or the other characters arcs.

Comment

it works, if it's done well, but sadly romances in series and movies tend to get either cheesy or stupid... (best example: ST-Voyager the whole Chakotay and Seven thing *shudder*). I just hope they're not going to start marrying all SG-1 characters off... *fears*

Duno if it fits, but I always liked Selmak and Jacob and... Hammond and Daniels lol Maybe I should add... anyone with Urgo *eyeshift*

What do you think of ship in a ship?
              ship, car, jetfighter... whatever floats your boat *eyeshift, looks for a way to try the jetfighter shipping... bangs head against desk*

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                So I was just wondering if they had Sam and Jack just get together with no real fanfare and then they were just together but the storylines didn't focus on it would you still hate it?
                Yes. I don't like the pairing, I see no chemistry between them and even just knowing they were "together" would leave a nasty taste in my mouth, all the time.

Or if they completely stopped the overt ship and just had them get together at the end?
                It's too late, now. For me, anyway. The show has been tainted by so much blatant shippiness between the two characters that all they have to do is look at each other for it to seem shippy to me. There's no going back from where the writers have forced the characters and to try and pretend it isn't/wasn't happening would almost be worse than bulling ahead with it. It'd show that the writers are even wishy-washier than they've made Sam.

Originally posted by Izanami
                Sam/Pete and Sam/Luke are my faves. I have never and will never accept Sam/Jack. I was quite happy to live in blissful ignorance of them when ship was left to individual interpretation, but the more blatant TPTB make it, the more I hate it... and I'm hating the characters by extension, which I resent.

Comment

Or if they completely stopped the overt ship and just had them get together at the end? That is what I've always wanted. The subtle UST that could be read either way and then they could be together at the end of the series. To me that wouldn't take away from the storylines or the other characters arcs.
                  Honestly...yes to both parts.

I can't really see the first scenario ever happening at this point. It's become waaaay too big an issue.

The second scenario would be very sad for me as well. That means that yet again, Teal'c and Daniel are left out in the cold and it becomes all about Sam and Jack and what they're going to be doing for the rest of their lives. It also takes away the ability for much of the audience to project what they'd like to see for the team. It sets it in stone.
                  Webbgirl
                  Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
                  My Livejournal

Comment

ok, I'm new, but I've been reading the old forums for some time. I've searched... what does SHIP mean!?!?!?!? driving me crazy!

My personal site www.krawdaddy.net
                    Admin/Co-Owner: DiscussNASCAR.com | Admin: DiscussAnything.com | SuperMod: ChopperWeb.net

Comment

Ship = 'Ship = relationSHIP in this context and for this show ship usually means Jack and Sam, unless otherwise specified.

Here's a link to the FAQ:
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...cs#faq_shipper
                      Hope that helps
                      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Sam/Pete and Sam/Luke are my faves.

Who's Luke?

As for Pete - I've said it before I'll say it again - stalker! Sam deserves so much more than some obsessive control freak with low self esteem.

Comment

Luke is the guy who tries to serves McKay the Lemon Chicken in 48 Hours.

But he's so much deeper than that... right Shadow?
                          ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                            But he's so much deeper than that... right Shadow?
                            Oh yes. Much, MUCH more.

Luke is the lynchpin who has been directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of goings-on over the years... including Sam's black widow curse.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Luke is the lynchpin who has been directly or indirectly responsible for a lot of goings-on over the years... including Sam's black widow curse.

You mentioned the BWC just to get me going didn't you ?!
                              *takes slow deep breath, and lets it out* Ok, I'm feeling better.
                              ~BCM =)

Comment

Working...
                              X