Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth seeing?

Hi! I'm new to this forum, but I'm not that probie for Stargate franchise

So I'm at the fifth season of SGA and I've seen all episodes of SG-1 and the original movie and the two movies.

And my question is: I know that SGU is canceled after two seasons, so is it worth seeing? I mean its a little disturbing that it doesn't have a conclusion. I really enjoyed all the Stargate, but I don't want to get disappointed in SGU.

So, opinions?

Well, it's definitely worth a try. It has more drama than SG-1 and Atlantis, you must be ready you won't like some of the main characters (at least for first few eps). Generally, in first ten eps there's some not so enjoyable stuff (characters' family issues) but it gives depth to the characters, so you can get to know them and be more concerned when some serious stuff happens. But there still is some of the Stargate humour, it's just concealed well, so you have to pay attention.

Comment

Absolutely! The Destiny is a wonderful ship, the Ancient's story is intriguing, the characters are mean, cranky, villainous, heroic, humorous, messy as we real humans are. Not to mention the production elements are superb. Just now I'm listening to Joel Goldsmith's music. I think he did his best work on the show.

Don't listen to the nay sayers, make up your own mind by watching.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd definitely recommend it! It's got more drama, and is more character-driven than the other two shows, but it's really good. First few episodes might be a little hard to get into because it starts off a bit slow, but it gets much better after that (and I personally really enjoyed the pilot episode).

The cast is absolutely brilliant and you get to see quite a few familiar faces pop up throughout the first season. It's got an open ending, yes, but it's all worth it.

and I agree with Jeri; please don't let the nay sayers get to you.

Comment

It develops slowly and some of the charachers seem pointless and cliché. However, if you stick with it, it gets more and more interesting, with a very good second half of the second season. You have to be patient to enjoy it.

see, the nay sayers aren't that mean, uh?
          sigpic
          Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
          Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Well, I'm currently at the 4th season of SGA and I actually watched SG-1's last 3 seasons and SGA's first three seasons back-to-back, just like they were filmed, including The Ark of Truth, which is very nicely done. I'm waiting for Search and Rescue to watch Continiuum, because that movie takes place after that episode. Both SG-1 and SGA were great shows and I was able to refresh my memories of both, although the initial hype seems to be gone after SG-1's last and SGA's third season. I'm taking my time finishing SGA before I move on to SGU once again. But I agree with everything said in this thread... it's a real shame that the producers didn't get to at least do 1 more season/movie of SGU so they could finish up the story... However, it's just like I've said in another thread... all 9 chevrons were explored so at least we got to see that part of Stargate mythology be completed.

I definitely recommend SGU. Yes, some episodes are slow, but considering that the previous two shows weren't character-driven and character-focused, I'd say that the last series was definitely the best of Stargate and it brought the series and the franchise to its full potential.

You should definitely watch it. It's awesome!

Comment

All right, thanks for the answers. I already decided that I'll watch it, before I posted this, I was just curious about your opinions.

By the way, it's good to see, that this stargate community is "alive" after all this years. You don't hear a lot about the franchise nowadays, well at least in my country..

Comment

Yes, I'd say that as well. I actually believe that the Stargate franchise isn't dead, but only in a hibernation state. It's standing still and nothing is being done with it.

It just took some time for SGU to gain appreciation. I was just on a slovenian torrent tracker and a lot of members there - judging by their comments - actually love SGU now and desire more Stargate. But then again, there are still some that complain about SG-1 and SGA being cancelled, that those two shows sould've still be airing and/or that SGA could have been running for at least one or two more seasons.

One of the comments was actually interesting - one of the members on the same slovenian tracker actually stated that the producers could have done SGU as a movie (series) so SGA would get more seasons.

Comment

Definitely worth seeing! The fact you've left it till now to watch means you still have the joy of new Stargate!

I'm revisiting early season 1 again and appreciate it more with each re-watch. I did find it hard to watch first time round as it was so different to SG-1 and SGA with the more character driven nature of it and the way it was presented. However, I kept an open mind and stuck with it, and it really was worth it as it took off in the second season.

It's sad it ended when it did, just as it hit its stride, the fact that the latter part of the show was so good, it really showed what could have been. It was a fitting end in a way, it ended on a high for me.

I'm glad that there are still people around who keep the love of Stargate alive, sort of helps deal with the lack of Stargate to indulge in happy memories on forums, at conventions and just sitting on the couch watching our heroes on screen!

Enjoy!

Comment

Gotta say I didn't really like SGU's season one a lot, some episodes are simply pretty boring. It does however get better - a lot better.

The destiny is an amazing ship launched millions of years ago from the MW. Rush says it's hundreds of thousands of years but he is not right (I figured he was trying to stop people panicking) as the ship not only has push buttons instead of crystals and head grabbers but also carries a earlier stargate than the MW gates. The propulsion and power systems seem to differ too.

Despite that, the ship is pretty incredible considering it's a rust bucket thats been on an automated mission for millions of years and been though numerous space gun fights etc. It's battered, low on power (like every ancient creation lol), failing shields, tons of things not working but it's still out there exploring looking for something that the ancients thought was important. Quite what that is we never found out as the show got canned but it was certainly interesting and kind of brings you as a viewer a bit closer to the ancients despite all the mystery. The ship is also very mysterious and clearly has onboard AI and character. Despite not directly communicating with the crew, it does create holographic people in a couple of episodes and also puts visions in peoples minds etc. Despite being automated and unmanned, the ancients clearly intended it to be boarded and for the ship to communicate with its crew in its own mysterious way.

To be honest, once you get into season 2, the show actually becomes a lot stronger with more action and the plots get more interesting. Once you get to the end of S2, you're left thinking how boring SG-1 and SGA were in comparison. SGU had a lot of potential.

Comment

The show has a shaky start. In my opinion the pilot is good, but the middle part of season 1 is slow (minus the episode "time" which is one of my favorites of the whole frantize). Some of the characters are good (Eli, Rush, Young). The end of the season is good (and has sg-1 guess stars).

Season 2 started off with the same problems as season 1, but really got amazing in the second half, which each episode being better than the one before. The finale is well done but sadly ends in a huge cliffhanger.

Overall, I'd say its worth checking out but you have to be okay with the very different tone than the other two series and make through some "ah" episodes to get to the good stuff.
                      sigpic

Comment

Stargate Universe is great and should be re-aired

Comment

I was a bit hesitant in starting to watch it. Indeed, when I started watching this franchise two years ago, I pretty much watched SG-1 through Atlantis in a few months, and then I kind of waited on SGU. I wish I hadn't, because although it did have a shaky start it grew on me tremendously, and I was quite sad when it was done.

But watch it, you most likely won't regret it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X