• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love Story (203)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    LOVE STORY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 203
    Willoughby is besieged by Titus Andover’s people after a prisoner escapes with something precious, forcing Miles to negotiate with him. Neville and Jason find it difficult to infiltrate the Patriots, and Monroe confronts Charlie with news about her mother.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 10 October 2013, 09:04 PM.

Very good episode.

Spoiler:
    I liked how we saw that the Patriots not only took advantage of situations that came along but also went out of their way to pay people in order to be able to save others and become heroes. Very devious.

Also got to see just how clever and observant Neville really is, he knew those people were not muggers and was able to make himself very believable when telling his story.

Comment

A Love Story
      Spoiler:
      It seems like Kirple has found the formula for a successful show, sensible action + better character moments + more comedy + neglect of the first season + mystery = x(y + 8) / y(2). Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they've figured out how to mix the pot properly as we get yet another episode which is just barely good enough but doesn't manage to be the revelation critics are praising this to be. Too soon?

Let's get to the main problem, I don't care for anything that's going on. Why? There's no real threat or danger involved. Rachel comes in, saves the day with minimal effort thereby neglecting the setup of the enemy which has been made to be creepy and powerful and when the guys come en masse to the town which they're resided in, there's still no real threat despite the massive number of guys; yes we've seen what we can do but oddly enough I didn't feel fear for the town nor the residents inside it. Why is that? it's because they're not developed enough. The town doesn't feel like a character much like Storybrooke, Springfield, Celesteville as every person feels generic and complacent, the only thing that's helping me keep my interest is the slightly better acting from everyone all around. Aaron fuels the mystery by just being there and trying to figure out a belief, Miles drops any hints of reverting to his former self and becomes the hero he was in Season 1 (although better) and Rachel's father hints of his protective nature towards her daughter.

Even the involvement of the wife of the creepy guy and the trademark "stand up and fight" routine doesn't help matters much for most of the episode. It does bring some good points such as the creepy guy giving genuine emotional response and showing true love, the wife acting good even though his point was to make the crazy guy even more crazy and furthering the grasp of the patriots by making his act look like a sham, something that makes us doubt the backstory he told before. (which does make you think about them a bit.) but it also brings some bad stuff such as the tired confrontations where Miles plays the tough guy and the enemy plays the enemy, the wife killing herself for no reason other than to support viewer perception and questionable decisions such as not considering what the guy would feel. The sheer fact that Revolution can't take good things and make them into even better things seems to continue throughout Season 2 although I was impressed by a couple of the surprises and dialogue.

Big crowd...

Not surprisingly, the patriots are being made to look like the next big Monroe Milita even copying similar actions by wanting Rachel Matheson alive (presumably for research purposes as before). Look at them, they're shifty, they pay mercenaries, they even do similar initiation routines but they differ in that they're actively trying to manipulate the situation and trying to make themselves look like the good guys. I find this good for the mystery at hand because it gives viewers something to tune into unlike that gimmick filled episode from before. Who knows what the plans are for these patriots and it seems like this episode is the catalyst for what should be good things for Revolution mystery wise; and as a plus they don't seem completely evil, they seem somewhat sympathetic and human which helps build their ambiguous nature. Who knows what would of happened had they been cold and heartless, I'm guessing people would of tuned out en masse like they did in Season 1.

Other things that may want to make you tune in is Nevil's plot which takes a detour and sends us into a direction where aliases and alibis don't matter; some of the plot was boring, making me think that the entirety of Nevil's plot was going to be him rising through the ranks while sprouting out stuff like "Darn boy! Those US must pay!" but most of it was good material, especially the stand out moment where he looks them in the eyes and tells them dead serious the reasons for why he wants revenge. Of course, there are other moments such as his attempts to keep up an alibi and him talking to the senator but that moment is by far the best moment in the episode, it showcased aggression, it showcased his deceptive abilities and best of all, it even looked convincing. The actor behind Nevil has a lot to congratulate as it took guts to do that scene, sheer guts. Of course, they're still going to milk the Nevil plot for what it's worth (thus fueling viewer excitement for his future actions) but this was a pretty good detour. Nevil should confront people more often.

A girl you will ever see.

Of course, there's also the plot with Charlie and that bounty hunter/Miles that seems to be the most comedic of the bunch. There's a serious side to it such as when the bounty hunter talks about his dead father and showing us Charlie's ambitions, both of which the episode does okay with but it's mostly comedic. Seriously I don't understand what makes the show so funny; maybe it's the snarkiness, maybe it's the comebacks, maybe it's the jabs but the way they deliver it, it almost seems like they're forcing it out of their mouths. I get the need to insert humor, especially considering that Supernatural was humorous but this isn't a humorous series, this is a serious show about a blackout where people are out to kill you at every turn. I'll admit, Monroe was good in this, he has successfully shed his Darth Vader suit and put on some normal clothes like the rest of us with his compassion and helpfulness; it's like he projected that he cared about the family, like he wanted to help them but his past reputation preceded him. That alone redeemed him in my eyes.

I don't get what the hype is all about, this is nothing more than an above average episode in the long line of above average episode but it was slightly better. There was mystery, there was some character action but bad things like drawn out scenes and lack of interest preceded the episode. Still, I'm going to give it some bonus points but don't think you're getting off scotch free Revolution. You still got a long way to go.
      6.0/10
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Good episode
        Spoiler:

I enjoyed the Neville Storyline and how the patriots have cottoned onto already and how he just rolled with it, heck he owned it, but i wonder what they have instore for jason? my guess is there going to kill him if they can at the first sign of treachery

Spoiler:
        alternatively i like how Munro has cottoned onto the patriots and has become an anti hero of sorts (atleast thats how it seems) i kinda like him and charlie together

Spoiler:

My guess right now is that first half of the season will be about the patriots and then they will move onto the nano machine storyline in the 2nd half
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

I think this season is off to a great start.
          Spoiler:
          I can't say I am in love with the whole Charlie/Munroe plot line, but I feel like other aspects make up for it.

I just read that they are in ratings trouble, possibly because of moving to the new night. Does anyone know if it is just a ratings drop off from last season or is it a drop off that puts the future in jeopardy?

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
            I think this season is off to a great start. I can't say I am in love with the whole Charlie/Munroe plot line, but I feel like other aspects make up for it.

I just read that they are in ratings trouble, possibly because of moving to the new night. Does anyone know if it is just a ratings drop off from last season or is it a drop off that puts the future in jeopardy?
            Both
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Both
              Well that stinks! I would assume there might be a little drop off from changing nights, but enough to put the future of the show in jeopardy is a real shame.

Comment

Well that stinks! I would assume there might be a little drop off from changing nights, but enough to put the future of the show in jeopardy is a real shame.
                Adding to the fact is that nobody posts in these forums; aside from recent episodes, it's like a literal ghost town. You'd think the "improvements" of Season 2 would have people flocking to these forums en masse.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

The main buzz is probably on the tv sites and social media.
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I liked the first two a little bit more though. I'm really enjoying this season so far. I really like that none of the main characters from last season are the bad guys this time around. I love Monroe this season, and I also really like Miles, Rachel, and Neville. So far, I feel that Neville has the most interesting storyline; though I'm finding Monroe's pretty interesting too. I really like the dynamic between Charlie and Monroe(not in a romantic way though).
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      Very good episode.

Spoiler:
                      I liked how we saw that the Patriots not only took advantage of situations that came along but also went out of their way to pay people in order to be able to save others and become heroes. Very devious.

Also got to see just how clever and observant Neville really is, he knew those people were not muggers and was able to make himself very believable when telling his story.
                      Yea, nevil has become one of my 3 favorite characters in this show.. And the actor has done a damn good job with the character.
                      Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                      Good episode

Spoiler:
                      alternatively i like how Munro has cottoned onto the patriots and has become an anti hero of sorts (atleast thats how it seems) i kinda like him and charlie together

Spoiler:

My guess right now is that first half of the season will be about the patriots and then they will move onto the nano machine storyline in the 2nd half
                      Spoiler:
                      On the Monroe storyline, i like that they are setting him up to almost be a savior for the group, makes a change since he was their biggest thorn in the side during the first season. Maybe this is his 'redemption'.

As to the patriots and nanobots, i hope they develop them further at the same time..

To me its more the former (the move to Wednesday where it competes with Arrow AND survivor) vice being on monday where it only really had castle to compete against.

Look at SGU.. and the drop in viewership it had when they moved it..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Yea, nevil has become one of my 3 favorite characters in this show.. And the actor has done a damn good job with the character.
                        Neville has been one of my favorite characters since the first season, second to a minor character called Page; the best character in Revolution hands down.

Spoiler:
                        On the Monroe storyline, i like that they are setting him up to almost be a savior for the group, makes a change since he was their biggest thorn in the side during the first season. Maybe this is his 'redemption'.
                        Spoiler:
                        I agree, perhaps losing everything made him a different person but that doesn't excuse his horrendous acting from last season no matter how powerful he was.

To me its more the former (the move to Wednesday where it competes with Arrow AND survivor) vice being on monday where it only really had castle to compete against.
                        Don't forget about The Middle. I usually watch that live and record Revolution since it's impossible for me to get KABC reliably on an antenna.

Look at SGU.. and the drop in viewership it had when they moved it..[/QUOTE]
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

I hate that this show was moved to Wed at 8. I already watch too many shows on Wed; this and Arrow are on the same time and I really like both shows a lot. I liked it a lot better when it was on at Mon at 10, since I don't really watch much in that timeslot for most of the year. Oh well, lol.
                          sigpic

Comment

I, too, liked the Monday at 10(9 for me) timeslot much better. For me on Wed it comes on at 7(c) not the best time.

Good ep I am also liking Monroe and Neville's storyline so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X