Can a movie reboot save Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    SG1 Season 1 isn't all that light either. SGU was far more like that, like the dark aspects of the series. It took some time to hit it's stride, sure.
    I agree SG-1 was not all light in S1, but SGU just seemed like a ham fisted approach to going "all dark", which is more akin to BSG, which "someone else did better", which is what looney seemed to be alluding to.
    I don't see it as a copy of BSG. I just don't see how there was much choice here, why do another copy of SG1? SGA was already a darker copy? And the writers evidently felt that too, that they needed some fresh ideas.
    The writing room needed people who could handle (or be allowed) to explore darker aspects. The writers may have felt they needed a change, and they may have been right, but I just don't think they were up to the task. I'll freely admit that's just my opinion, but that -is- my opinion. SGU had potential, but I rarely saw it realized in S1, and only slightly more in S2.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      I'll freely admit that's just my opinion, but that -is- my opinion. SGU had potential, but I rarely saw it realized in S1, and only slightly more in S2.
      I definitely agree with that. I freely admit that I was greatly disappointed with SGU, but by the end of Season 2 I did want to see what was coming next because I was getting interested.

And they were definitely trying to capture what BSG had. I agree with the comparison to SG-1 Season One, but the overall character models were completely built on the mold of a more amoral structure ala BSG. One week maybe this character seems like a good guy, the next a bad guy. One week this character does something really bad, but she did it for good reasons in her own mind. This is just me going off my personal opinions from what I saw. People around these forums know FAR more than I do about the real history behind these things. All I know is I watched BSG from start to finish and I watched SGU from start to finish. Just looking at what I saw SGU definitely took cues from BSG. Maybe that was the writing room trying to grab for a formula that had been successful or maybe the network told them they had to aim for the formula that had been successful. I don't know. I just know what I saw.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned SG-1 jumped the shark the moment they brought Prometheus into it. Now don't get me wrong they did some good stuff with it and the 304's but it simply didn't feel like the same show to me any more. Season 1, 2 and 3 are still my favourite of SG-1. SGA practically disintegrated in my estimation once they had a 304 around every week. SGU meanwhile reclaimed that underdog feel from early SG-1 which is why I loved it while it lasted.

My good friend Flyboy is right. It was simply to fast for humans to both understand and then create their own interstellar tech. And the thing is practically every story arc in later SG-1 could have gone completely without the existence of the human ships and it would have changed very little.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
        X