No announcement yet.

Can a movie reboot save Stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a super old thread but I liked the friendly-ish banter back and forth. I liked Flyboys point about SGU going off in a new direction to start over with the concept if Us vs the universe and having a more serious tone. While I loved all the shows, SG1 started getting a little too goofy with the sword fighting a hologram and magical Merlin powers etc..., Atlantis was good but was also a little cartoonish in retrospect. Universe was serious and explored real deep and mysterious phenomena that couldn't be explained. That's what I liked about it at least.

Comment

I can see that point of view...it's just that SGU was a little TOO nuanced for me... I do like the good guys/bad guys concept and I loved that our "friends" were always trying to do the right thing, not conniving.

Also, SGU just had no sense of humor at all...I missed RDA's wry sense of humor and even Joe Flannigan was getting there with some of the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilana View Post
        I can see that point of view...it's just that SGU was a little TOO nuanced for me... I do like the good guys/bad guys concept and I loved that our "friends" were always trying to do the right thing, not conniving.

Also, SGU just had no sense of humor at all...I missed RDA's wry sense of humor and even Joe Flannigan was getting there with some of the comments.
        I'll agree with you there. Even in the face of danger you have to have some humor. RDA was absolutely epic as was Joe Flannigan. Those personalities were definitely missing in SGU. Hopefully, should a new show/movie come along they could combine the serious/humorous in a better way.

Comment

Hi,

I had not really though about it before, but one of the reasons I like or dislike a show comes down to the friendly banter as in Star Trek, Star Wars, Dr Who, etc.

Star Wars was like Han Solo's "It's not my fault".

Star Trek's banter with Spock (It's a joke).

And it's why I think I did not like Peter Capaldi as much as the other recent Doctors - the banter was missing. I always likes the Doctors getting thrown by River Song.

Doug vV

Comment

If SGU were to have continued...or still would now (unlikely I know) I believe the character of Eli could have become that funny character that was missing. He was there, but the Destiny and its crew was always in such a state of dire desperation, the humor was never able to overcome that tone. If anyone has seen David Blue (Eli) recently he is very thin and fit now. Would be great to have home wake up the crew with a newly in shape Eli that can be the off-world mission witty scientist like McKay was. Maybe less doom which would allow for more time exploring planets that have clues leading to their mission of finding the origin of the signal in the background radiation. That I believe would make it more "Stargate" and less "Battlestar rip-off."

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              I honestly disagree. I think the entire Gateverse has become too heavy and strayed too far from it's routes to be viable anymore. The beauty of SGU, for me, was that it almost completely disconnected itself from that which had been built up, making it entirely accessible to new viewers.
              Probably heavy, and I think that's what makes it interesting because it opens up so many possibilities for the whole story universe. But I hope that they can minimize loopholes if ever they venture into the established universe of the 3 series, or close some of the major loopholes.

SGU was a new take at the gate, and it was probably this reason that some abhorred the series. The series took time to build itself, but it was nonetheless deserving of the respect we all have for SG1 and SGA. SGU had so much potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner833 View Post
                If SGU were to have continued...or still would now (unlikely I know) I believe the character of Eli could have become that funny character that was missing. He was there, but the Destiny and its crew was always in such a state of dire desperation, the humor was never able to overcome that tone. If anyone has seen David Blue (Eli) recently he is very thin and fit now. Would be great to have home wake up the crew with a newly in shape Eli that can be the off-world mission witty scientist like McKay was. Maybe less doom which would allow for more time exploring planets that have clues leading to their mission of finding the origin of the signal in the background radiation. That I believe would make it more "Stargate" and less "Battlestar rip-off."
                Having the show come back and spending more time off on planets, imo would be great.. AS that is a lot of people's core complaint, that unlike SGA/SG1 SgU barely had missions on planets.

Comment

Honestly multiversum exists in the SG universe, so every reboot can be explained like a "new alternate timeline".

I would be still happier to see a TV-movie series, like an anthology where they can randomly introduce new storylines or continue old ones. At least that is how I imagined Stargate : Origins. They could have called it like Stargate : Origins - Catherine Langford. Then season 2 would be focus on an other SG minor character etc.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The SDCC panel interview eludes to this. When posing a question one panelist states (paraphrasing) "So tell us about Stargate:Origins. The first will be about Katherine Langford correct?" What I understand from that and some other comments was that more stories will be introduced as long as this thing doesn't totally bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      (Understood and noted ref - opinion, the same can be said for everything I write)

I don't personally I think that's why it failed - I just think that modern audiences have the attention span of a gnat and cannot appreciate well constructed story telling, requiring shiney things, explosions, or monster-of-the-week episodes.... I think SGU had a lot to connect to the existing universe but thematically went back to the source of Stargate - a bunch of REAL world modern day humans thrust into the unknown without any special toys.

Look at it this way;

Compare the first series of Star Trek TOS to the last series of Voyager (or Enterprise, if you will). And despite some minor changes that you have to be a fan to recognise, the identity is the same - futuristic, space travel, big ass ships, awesome tech.

Same can be said for BSG, The X-Files, Doctor Who, Buffy, etc etc...

Not Stargate though.

Stargate started off as a fairly believable US military operation, hopelessly outmatched, relying on guerilla tactics, and modern day tech to fight off threats that were astounding and discover magnificent wonders (I'll never forget the first time I saw the ascended being at Keb, travel towards the Stargate - that sense of awe as the airman laid down their rifles as it passed over head). Compare that to SGA S5's time period, and that's gone.

The sense if wonder is no more, Earth is looking like the biggest baddest MOFO in the galaxy, we have awesome futuristic ships etc etc. SGU had to relocate to the other side of the known universe to offset that issue, and Continuum needed a timeline reset to offset it.

Fine, you may argue it's a realistic progression of affairs, but that's hardly the issue. The concept of WHAT Stargate is (to me) has been lost, and unfortunately the most recent attempt to recapture it has failed.

I totally understand that to you SG is more than a spinney thing, and so it is to me. Except for me it's not the characters and plot development, it's the identity that began in "Star Gate" and was so well adapted in the first 6-7 years of SG-1 before gradually evolving beyond recognition until all that WAS left (for me) in late SG1/SGA was 'a spinney thing'. And that's why SGU holds such a place in my heart, because I recognise the cast of SGU, in people I work with and know. And the entire scenario is believable to me and goes back to the purest idea of us vs the unknown.
                      He's not alone!

I loved the progression in Stargate, hell if anything I thought (and still do!) the progression was too slow!

I thought they should have experimented with their own ships far earlier! Hell, I hated that they lost new technology they captured again and again (or at least made it so that new tech showed up in one episode and then was forgotten or under-used!)...like losing that Ha'tak they stole when they killed Chronus! Damned that ship should have had hundreds of soldiers on board (they'd still have had room for all of the Tok'ra, too!) so that the replicators would have had no chance to take it over what so ever! etc. etc.

Hell, I always thought it strange that a lot of their strategies and tactics etc. didn't change after they saw that those didn't work (like posting a few guards near the gateroom and having them run there for "Unauthorized offworld activation" - Why not place armed guards in the gateroom itself with more fixed mounted weapons like .50 cal machine-guns etc.? Why not give the gate a shield (in addition to the iris) as soon as they could? etc. etc. How about using that Kul-Armor themselves?

Sure, some of it was to "preserve" the underdog state, but then again:

A real military wouldn't do that, hell they'd have allied with those space-nazis (breeders be damned, the Goa'uld could have wiped out earth and that technology could have helped them survive and fight back!)

Part of the appeal of the later seasons (despite liking the Ori and the Wraith less as enemies than the Goa'uld!) was that humanity was finally progressing! They got access to technology that allowed them to make their mark in the galaxy! Hell, if humanity had met the damned Tollan later, when they already had their own ships, then they might have been given Tollan-Technology (!) not to mention that many races would have been more receptive to talking to us!

greetings LAX
                      ps: I hope that they'll make another show that shows humanity advancing into space, that shows colonies being started, that shows full disclosure of the Stargate Programm etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                        Part of the appeal of the later seasons (despite liking the Ori and the Wraith less as enemies than the Goa'uld!) was that humanity was finally progressing! They got access to technology that allowed them to make their mark in the galaxy! Hell, if humanity had met the damned Tollan later, when they already had their own ships, then they might have been given Tollan-Technology (!) not to mention that many races would have been more receptive to talking to us!
                        I agree with the progressing thing, but in early seasons it went too slow, and in later seasons it went too fast. I don't think there was ever a point where i was really happy with it.

The starship thing is understandable somewhat, since it would rapidly undermine the premise of the show. Still, i liked the Prometheus precisely because it took so long, and because it represented such a huge step. The daedalus ones i liked, but in hindsight came too easily and too often. It shouldn't have been done without disclosing of the Program.

To me though.. yea, what makes Stargate Stargate is that it's us, regular day humans, fighting against aliens straight from myth. The campyness, the genre savvy, i liked that. I liked that among serious sci fi, there was a show that could one week do a dark serious episode and the next one do a fun adventure with a nod.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

To me though.. yea, what makes Stargate Stargate is that it's us, regular day humans, fighting against aliens straight from myth. The campyness, the genre savvy, i liked that. I liked that among serious sci fi, there was a show that could one week do a dark serious episode and the next one do a fun adventure with a nod.
                          I completely agree that this is what made SG-1 and Atlantis good shows - more so SG-1. Honestly that is the real truth. They could be deadly serious, but they always had a sense of humor that would show up from time to time in classic moments and episodes. SGU gave that up in a poor attempt to capture something someone else had success with.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            SGU gave that up in a poor attempt to capture something someone else had success with.
                            I disagree on that one. In many ways SGU was a soft reset to older SG1 times. S8-9-10 of SG1, and season 1-5 of Atlantis were much heavier on the humor part. Early SG1 was far more of a dark episode/light episode kind of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              I disagree on that one. In many ways SGU was a soft reset to older SG1 times. S8-9-10 of SG1, and season 1-5 of Atlantis were much heavier on the humor part. Early SG1 was far more of a dark episode/light episode kind of deal.
                              I get the light/dark element of stories, I don't understand how SGU did it.
                              Looney seems to be talking about BSG, and I see nothing in SGU that comes close to BSG, just a bad copy of it.
                              sigpic
                              ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                              A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                              The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                                I get the light/dark element of stories, I don't understand how SGU did it.
                                Looney seems to be talking about BSG, and I see nothing in SGU that comes close to BSG, just a bad copy of it.
                                SG1 Season 1 isn't all that light either. SGU was far more like that, like the dark aspects of the series. It took some time to hit it's stride, sure.

I don't see it as a copy of BSG. I just don't see how there was much choice here, why do another copy of SG1? SGA was already a darker copy? And the writers evidently felt that too, that they needed some fresh ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X