Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Can a movie reboot save Stargate?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    Part of the appeal of the later seasons (despite liking the Ori and the Wraith less as enemies than the Goa'uld!) was that humanity was finally progressing! They got access to technology that allowed them to make their mark in the galaxy! Hell, if humanity had met the damned Tollan later, when they already had their own ships, then they might have been given Tollan-Technology (!) not to mention that many races would have been more receptive to talking to us!
    I agree with the progressing thing, but in early seasons it went too slow, and in later seasons it went too fast. I don't think there was ever a point where i was really happy with it.

The starship thing is understandable somewhat, since it would rapidly undermine the premise of the show. Still, i liked the Prometheus precisely because it took so long, and because it represented such a huge step. The daedalus ones i liked, but in hindsight came too easily and too often. It shouldn't have been done without disclosing of the Program.

To me though.. yea, what makes Stargate Stargate is that it's us, regular day humans, fighting against aliens straight from myth. The campyness, the genre savvy, i liked that. I liked that among serious sci fi, there was a show that could one week do a dark serious episode and the next one do a fun adventure with a nod.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post

To me though.. yea, what makes Stargate Stargate is that it's us, regular day humans, fighting against aliens straight from myth. The campyness, the genre savvy, i liked that. I liked that among serious sci fi, there was a show that could one week do a dark serious episode and the next one do a fun adventure with a nod.
    I completely agree that this is what made SG-1 and Atlantis good shows - more so SG-1. Honestly that is the real truth. They could be deadly serious, but they always had a sense of humor that would show up from time to time in classic moments and episodes. SGU gave that up in a poor attempt to capture something someone else had success with.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    SGU gave that up in a poor attempt to capture something someone else had success with.
    I disagree on that one. In many ways SGU was a soft reset to older SG1 times. S8-9-10 of SG1, and season 1-5 of Atlantis were much heavier on the humor part. Early SG1 was far more of a dark episode/light episode kind of deal.

I disagree on that one. In many ways SGU was a soft reset to older SG1 times. S8-9-10 of SG1, and season 1-5 of Atlantis were much heavier on the humor part. Early SG1 was far more of a dark episode/light episode kind of deal.
    I get the light/dark element of stories, I don't understand how SGU did it.
    Looney seems to be talking about BSG, and I see nothing in SGU that comes close to BSG, just a bad copy of it.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I get the light/dark element of stories, I don't understand how SGU did it.
    Looney seems to be talking about BSG, and I see nothing in SGU that comes close to BSG, just a bad copy of it.
    SG1 Season 1 isn't all that light either. SGU was far more like that, like the dark aspects of the series. It took some time to hit it's stride, sure.

I don't see it as a copy of BSG. I just don't see how there was much choice here, why do another copy of SG1? SGA was already a darker copy? And the writers evidently felt that too, that they needed some fresh ideas.

SG1 Season 1 isn't all that light either. SGU was far more like that, like the dark aspects of the series. It took some time to hit it's stride, sure.
    I agree SG-1 was not all light in S1, but SGU just seemed like a ham fisted approach to going "all dark", which is more akin to BSG, which "someone else did better", which is what looney seemed to be alluding to.
    I don't see it as a copy of BSG. I just don't see how there was much choice here, why do another copy of SG1? SGA was already a darker copy? And the writers evidently felt that too, that they needed some fresh ideas.
    The writing room needed people who could handle (or be allowed) to explore darker aspects. The writers may have felt they needed a change, and they may have been right, but I just don't think they were up to the task. I'll freely admit that's just my opinion, but that -is- my opinion. SGU had potential, but I rarely saw it realized in S1, and only slightly more in S2.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I'll freely admit that's just my opinion, but that -is- my opinion. SGU had potential, but I rarely saw it realized in S1, and only slightly more in S2.
    I definitely agree with that. I freely admit that I was greatly disappointed with SGU, but by the end of Season 2 I did want to see what was coming next because I was getting interested.

And they were definitely trying to capture what BSG had. I agree with the comparison to SG-1 Season One, but the overall character models were completely built on the mold of a more amoral structure ala BSG. One week maybe this character seems like a good guy, the next a bad guy. One week this character does something really bad, but she did it for good reasons in her own mind. This is just me going off my personal opinions from what I saw. People around these forums know FAR more than I do about the real history behind these things. All I know is I watched BSG from start to finish and I watched SGU from start to finish. Just looking at what I saw SGU definitely took cues from BSG. Maybe that was the writing room trying to grab for a formula that had been successful or maybe the network told them they had to aim for the formula that had been successful. I don't know. I just know what I saw.

As far as I'm concerned SG-1 jumped the shark the moment they brought Prometheus into it. Now don't get me wrong they did some good stuff with it and the 304's but it simply didn't feel like the same show to me any more. Season 1, 2 and 3 are still my favourite of SG-1. SGA practically disintegrated in my estimation once they had a 304 around every week. SGU meanwhile reclaimed that underdog feel from early SG-1 which is why I loved it while it lasted.

My good friend Flyboy is right. It was simply to fast for humans to both understand and then create their own interstellar tech. And the thing is practically every story arc in later SG-1 could have gone completely without the existence of the human ships and it would have changed very little.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.