Star Trek IV: A few thoughts after watching it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek IV: A few thoughts after watching it again

I'll find myself watching Star Trek IV every so often since it's my Favorite Trek Film and I always think about a few things that could probably be consider the "Loose Ends" or just the fact they Rushed through a couple things and if Temporal Investigations http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Depa...Investigations had to look at things

[I'm sure they probably did after Kirk Returned from Their Mission to Recover two Whales from the Past] I'm just finding there are so many events that if this little episode had been Recorded in terms of in the Trekverse History in that time period that they went too you'd have to wonder what would be in the news then.

From Checkov's Capture aboard a Aircraft Carrier, to the Doctors and Nurses in the Hospital,the Police Chasing Kirk and Crew through the Hospital. Just seems like a LOT of Interactions with people of that Period that would leave a lot of loose ends to figure out if they caused any Problems.

I think one of the things I think about at times when I see the Hospital Chase that you'd have to wonder about is the whole "Doctor Gave me a pill and I grew a new Kidney!" It's just these are the thoughts I usually have after watching this Film again and noticing all the little things.

Course we all remember Scotty giving the Formula for Transparent Aluminum to the Plant Manager to get the Tank made for the Whales and his answer to the Changing History. "How do we know he didn't Invent the thing?"

There's also the Military Records then and what was left over [Chekov's ID Badge and what he had with him when he was Captured] plus I'm sure those Whalers won't forget the Sight of that Klingon Bird of Prey decloaking above that ship. I'd have to wonder who'd believe that "Whale of a Tale" there if that Captain had to tell someone about the Whales that got away...

One last thing that always makes me think is this: Did they just leave that Klingon Bird of Prey http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty at the Bottom or was it Recovered?

Still just a few thoughts I always end up having after seeing this Film again.

And one Thought that seems to pop up at times is the Technical Aspect of using the Sun as a Time Machine when they Went to High Warp around the Sun[Had me thinking about Stargate since Suns and Wormholes Don't mix and always end up causing problems when it comes to Solar Flares interacting with the Wormholes]
    Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

You should read Greg Cox's Eugenic Wars books. In the first book, there's a scene at Area 51 where Dr. Carlson (from DS9's "Little Green Men") and Shannon O'Donnell (from VOY's "11:59") examine the equipment Chekov left behind and briefly discuss the events that occurred during The Voyage Home.

In the second book, Dr. Nichols uses the transparent aluminum formula to help construct both the cryo-satellite (from TNG's "The Neutral Zone") and, along with Shannon and others, the SS Botany Bay.
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I'll have to look into those books then.
      Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

Comment

The Klingon Bird of prey would have just gone down as a fisherman tales. Fisherman have always been known for their stories. I am sure the ship owners would be less than impress through.

Of cause the kidney regrowing, could have trigger stem cell research and research that we are seeing now that

I presumed that the Bird of Prey would have been recovered and probably handed over to R&D where it was studied and repaired before making it way on to Star Fleet intelligence, where I could imagine it had a long and prosperous history of being use for covert operations. It not everyday the Federation get the use of a cloak equip vessel, virtually untraceable to the Federation. Plus I am sure there was minor interest in replicating Spock success in repairing dilithium crystals.

I have to get around to reading the books about the Eugenic wars.

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
          You should read Greg Cox's Eugenic Wars books. In the first book, there's a scene at Area 51 where Dr. Carlson (from DS9's "Little Green Men") and Shannon O'Donnell (from VOY's "11:59") examine the equipment Chekov left behind and briefly discuss the events that occurred during The Voyage Home.

In the second book, Dr. Nichols uses the transparent aluminum formula to help construct both the cryo-satellite (from TNG's "The Neutral Zone") and, along with Shannon and others, the SS Botany Bay.
          I actually have those books. And isn't there a scene at the end of the second one where Roberta Lincoln (who was Gary Seven's assistant in the original series episode Assignment Earth), meets Rain Robinson from Voyager's time travel episode. Or am I thinking of another Star Trek novel?

In the novelization of Star Trek 4, Scotty tells McCoy that Dr. Nichols did invent transparent aluminum. So in that at least, they were just helping it along.
          Last edited by tlw; 14 November 2013, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
            I actually have those books. And isn't there a scene at the end of the second one where Roberta Lincoln (who was Gary Seven's assistant in the original series episode Assignment Earth), meets Rain Robinson from Voyager's time travel episode. Or am I thinking of another Star Trek novel?
            Yep. That's at the end of the second book. Roberta tried to recruit her as her assistant. I guess Rain didn't go for it, though maybe she did after her encounter with Paris.
            sigpic
            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:

Comment

I thought it was after her encounter with Tom Paris that she talked with Roberta Lincoln. Roberta originally wanted Shannon O'Donnell as her assistant, but something happened. I cannot remember. I'll have to dig these books out of storage and read them again.

Concerning the Russian whaling ship's encounter with the Bounty. There is a story on Fanfiction.net in the Star Trek original series section. I think it's called A Whale of a Tale or A Whale of a Time. Basically it's about a San Francisco police detective whose last name is Hatfield (descended from Devil Anse Hatfield). He is sent to investigate the disappearance of Dr. Gillian Taylor when her co-workers report her missing. He is on the verge of retirement and this is his last case. Based on all the clues he finds, he thinks he has it figured out. When he hears about the whaler seeing a UFO, he is sure of it. He just can't tell his bosses what he thinks actually happened.

In the story he reads a blurb about Greenpeace saying they would take any help they could get, including extra terrestrial. Also at the end of the story he writes a sci-fi novel based on his speculations which is a best seller. And he is approached by Harve Bennett for the movie rights.
              Last edited by tlw; 14 November 2013, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlw View Post
                I thought it was after her encounter with Tom Paris that she talked with Roberta Lincoln. Roberta originally wanted Shannon O'Donnell as her assistant, but something happened. I cannot remember. I'll have to dig these books out of storage and read them again.
                The date of the last chapter (when Roberta meets Rain) was February 2, 1996. VOY's "Future's End" didn't look like it was taking place in January. One man was even having a barbecue when he got a shot of Voyager flying overhead.

Shannon helped Roberta to steal the Botany Bay and decided it wasn't something she wanted to do full time.
                sigpic

My Books:

Comment

Originally posted by McClance View Post
                  The date of the last chapter (when Roberta meets Rain) was February 2, 1996. VOY's "Future's End" didn't look like it was taking place in January. One man was even having a barbecue when he got a shot of Voyager flying overhead.

Shannon helped Roberta to steal the Botany Bay and decided it wasn't something she wanted to do full time.
                  But Voyager was flying over Los Angeles. Isn't it warm enough there sometimes to cook out in January?

Comment

I don't know about the Los Angeles area. Where I live (in the San Francisco Bay Area), that's usually the rainiest time of year.
                    sigpic

My Books:

Comment

I can just imagine Temporal Investigations pouring over the record books for unusual activity for those few days and just making a long, long list of newspaper headlines...

"First crops now parks: The strange imprints in Golden Gate Park that seemingly appeared over night..."

"Russian Spy Scandal as Aircraft Carrier Chase leads to Soviet in Hospital"

"Soviet Spy Escape! Fears of Espionage Cell Grow as Captured Russian Escapes From Hospital"

"Miracle Kidney! Elderly woman's life saved by Miracle Worker, NOT a Doctor!"
                      (I would hope Bones would see the irony of this one)

"Fears grow for the safety of Doctor Gillian Taylor after disappearance"

"Whalers Thought Responsible for Sudden Loss of Signal from George and Gracie's Transmitters"

And in Russian:

"Boat Crew Gone Mad! Salty Sea Dogs Now in State Psychological Institute."

It's just a good thing Kirk and the others saved the world on their trip otherwise they'd probably be in big trouble.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X