This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Revive Stargate...just a little...

So I was thinking, seeing as many small-time projects are taking off rapidly these days thanks to kickstarters and such...perhaps fan awareness is where we need to push.

I say we all, band together and try to convince one of the YouTube groups like FreddieW or CorridorDigital to do a video/short film set in the Stargate universe. Perhaps sparking new generation's interest and reminding MGM that Stargate fans are far from few and they still have an opportunity to make money (seeing as that is their primary focus) and that the franchise is much like Daniel Jackson, it just won't stay dead.

I'm willing to bet some are even fans...who miss it just as much as we do.

"For crying out loud...we gotta do something!"

Well I was thinking of taking a P90 into MGM and giving them a lets say 'persuasive chat' haha but I like your idea better. Problem is things like props, to make the stargate universe what it is there are a lot of props that are needed that are difficult/costly to replicate (for example the kinda vital thing a stargate). Good idea in principle but hard to execute and very possible costly to execute, I doubt any youtuber would take on such a task, and the responsibility of having to make it absolutely epic or risk being criticized by the huge fanbase that there is.

Ash

Comment

the facts are most stargate sets have been sold it is unlikely will ever seen more stargate unless it is a new series or mgm knows for certain they'll make a profit which to be honest is unlikely, I'm not trying to attack you, stargate is one of my favourite shows I've seen some episodes up to 25 times, but I'm just being realistic

Comment

Originally posted by tomaso88 View Post
        the facts are most stargate sets have been sold it is unlikely will ever seen more stargate unless it is a new series or mgm knows for certain they'll make a profit which to be honest is unlikely, I'm not trying to attack you, stargate is one of my favourite shows I've seen some episodes up to 25 times, but I'm just being realistic
        Couldn't they do all green screen like Sanctuary did? Just for one tie it all together movie...

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
          Couldn't they do all green screen like Sanctuary did? Just for one tie it all together movie...
          yes they could but then you have to ask yourself is that how stargate fans want to see the last stargate thing ever created. So many fans would be angry mgm probably wouldn't end up making a profit

i'm sorry I really do wish we could one day get more stargate, but I doubt we will get any thing more then books or small games based on sg1 sgu and sga, the only hope is a revive of a new series in my honest opinion.

I miss stargate a lot to
          Last edited by tomaso88; 25 August 2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

If they can't find budget to build new sets, they won't have budget for CGI sets either which cost twice as much as regular sets probably.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              If they can't find budget to build new sets, they won't have budget for CGI sets either which cost twice as much as regular sets probably.
              I'm pretty sure that CG sets are significantly cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                I'm pretty sure that CG sets are significantly cheaper.
                Depends on the quality... but I doubt it.

Comment

Depends on the quality... but I doubt it.
                  The relatively cheap cost of CG sets is the reason that productions like Sanctuary and BSG:B&C opted for them. Practical sets require the renting of multiple stages, set designers and an army of workers to construct and maintain them, while a CG set tends to require a small-ish room and a load of people sat at computers.

Comment

Interesting articles about CG sets vs build-up sets:

CG vs. Sets/models/etc... Which is more cost effective?
                    An interesting comparison between LOTR and Star Wars

James Cameron Tells Peter Jackson He Would Rather Use CG Instead of Building Titanic’s Set Today

Sanctuary's first season (13 episodes) cost an estimated 21 million Canadian dollars (approx. 20 million US dollars) to make, and was almost entirely shot with green/blue screen, and filmed with a RED camera (direct to harddrive instead of film or disc).

How much does it cost to make an SG-1 episode!

In 2006, the cost for one episode was estimated to be 2 million US dollars. SG1 has 21 episodes per season --> 21 x 2m = 42 million US dollar

It depends on the production but I'd say CG still more expensive, if it's entirely green screen and no build set. As far as I can tell anyway from the info I have...

Comment

If a continuation of SGU, Movies or a completely new series is out of the question then the 1 thing Stargate needs desperately is a proper GAME!.

Stargate SG-1: The Alliance cancelled
                      Stargate Worlds cancelled
                      Stargate: Resistance cancelled

Any/All of the above would have been epic games but all were cancelled

OK so since then we have had the Unleashed game on iOS and Android but that is a pretty basic game and the type of game Stargate really needs is a FPS or MMO.

We need a game!!

Comment

Interesting articles about CG sets vs build-up sets:

CG vs. Sets/models/etc... Which is more cost effective?
                        An interesting comparison between LOTR and Star Wars

James Cameron Tells Peter Jackson He Would Rather Use CG Instead of Building Titanic’s Set Today

Sanctuary's first season (13 episodes) cost an estimated 21 million Canadian dollars (approx. 20 million US dollars) to make, and was almost entirely shot with green/blue screen, and filmed with a RED camera (direct to harddrive instead of film or disc).

How much does it cost to make an SG-1 episode!

In 2006, the cost for one episode was estimated to be 2 million US dollars. SG1 has 21 episodes per season --> 21 x 2m = 42 million US dollar

It depends on the production but I'd say CG still more expensive, if it's entirely green screen and no build set. As far as I can tell anyway from the info I have...
                        Even though everything you posted points the other way?

A Sanctuary episode going by those numbers would have only cost about 1.6m, and that's after inflation too.

Comment

Sure, if you want to... however, CG will remain a money eater if you want it to be good.

Comment

stargate resitance was playable but then it was cancelled.
                            Originally posted by maxrpg View Post
                            If a continuation of SGU, Movies or a completely new series is out of the question then the 1 thing Stargate needs desperately is a proper GAME!.

Stargate SG-1: The Alliance cancelled
                            Stargate Worlds cancelled
                            Stargate: Resistance cancelled

Any/All of the above would have been epic games but all were cancelled

OK so since then we have had the Unleashed game on iOS and Android but that is a pretty basic game and the type of game Stargate really needs is a FPS or MMO.

We need a game!!

Comment

Until another game developer comes up with a plan that's to MGM's liking, they might just get lucky. MMO seems fun, RPS too... either is fine with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X