Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Through Doctor Who (Spoilers all Eps aired on BBC/BBCA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Through Doctor Who (Spoilers all Eps aired on BBC/BBCA)

Hi guys!! New Whovian right here!! I've been interested in Doctor You-Know-Who for awhile now so I figured, hey... why the hell not? I decided to start with the 9th Doctor instead of the 1st because I found An Unearthly Child terribly confusing.

I've been through season 1 already(moving onto season 2) and so far, my opinion is... I like it! Eccleston's performance is occasionally rough and irritating, but as the Doctor says... FANTASTIC!
    My fav episode so far is definitely Dalek. Those cute robots never get old.

So here come the cons:
    1) Rose - She's just not a likable character. First she ditches Mickey(not Rickey). Then she keeps disregarding(and disrespecting) time and space with her daddy issues and overall, I just don't like her.
    2) Too much Earth - Does DW have some kind of "don't do two episodes away from Earth" rule or something? The TARDIS can supposedly go to any planet in any time. Why does Earth have to be some kind of special planet in sci-fi all the time?!
    3) The farting aliens. Enough said.
    4) TARDIS. It has an intriguing design, but how come we only get to see one room?

Stay tuned for my review of season 2!!
    Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2013, 11:35 AM.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Dr.WHO's biggest and most undefeatable enemy has always been its BBC Budget. And that explains a lot of Dr.WHO's problems. Although they like to hide it behind other really made up reasons.
    I like Sharky
    sigpic

Comment

I didn't like Rose much either, especially her treatment of Mickey. I really enjoyed Chris Eccleston, so it took me all of season 2 and most of season 3 to get used to David Tennant, much less like him. However, in the first season with Matt Smith, I missed Tennant. Go figure!

My favorite companion by quite a long shot is Martha.

You'll get to see a lot more of the Tardis later.
      sigpic

Comment

I prefer David to any other Dr since the show came back.
        My favourite companion would Be Rose by far.

It goes in cycles you get a lot of Earth based stories then a lot of space based stories.

Comment

But even then the majority of Space Based shows are all about Earthlings.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            But even then the majority of Space Based shows are all about Earthlings.
            Yes... but SG-1 is hardly innocent of that...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Finished Season 2 a few minutes ago.
              It wasn't bad, but I don't think I liked it as well as Season 1. For starters, David Tennant's Doctor just isn't as awesome as the previous one. He always seems to let his emotions cloud his judgment which is a direct contrast with 9 who is almost always stable and a natural leader. He also misses 9th's commanding presence.

But this coin definitely has two sides. The other side is that Tennant can also be more entertaining(That Ghostbusters joke was priceless) and his facial expressions during the darker moments are something to be remembered. He's a very good actor and pulls off the role.
              I guess it just takes getting used to.

There's still too much Earth on this show. REPLICATOR SAM here said that it goes in cycles. Um, no it doesn't. It's just Earth, Earth, alternate Earth, future Earth, past Earth, some random space station, Earth.

I did not expect Rose to leave the show this early. Martha Jones comes in next season and she seems pretty decent.

This time I don't have a favourite episode. Sorry, but this season was just a big cliche. The stories involving living drawings, Satan, vampires, that creepy Absorbadof and the Last Human are not fun, they're dumb. And yes, I know we're dealing with something that was intended to be cheesy and bizarre, but come on! That was the 1960s, this is the 2010s!

The season did have a few highlights those.
              1)The Girl In The Fireplace would've been my fav episode had Madame De Pompadour never learned so much about the Doctor. It would've been more interesting to see her go through her life, wondering about this "imaginary hero". And why did she say she's "known him all her life" when the Doctor appeared to her just twice as a kid?

2)The Daleks were like a Christmas present.

3)"Allons-y!". Enough said.

4) K-9. I guess it doesn't really count since it is from old Who, but that tin dog was supercalafragilisticexplialidocius.

5) Rose was much more tolerable this season. She had great chemistry with the Doctor.

Overall, season 2 of new Doctor Who was a disappointment. While Tennant does a fairly decent job with his performance of the mysterious Time Lord(the fact that he's incredibly handsome probably helps) and makes a good team with Rose, the rest just fails miserably. I really hope Season 3 will improve.
              EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
              Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2013, 11:36 AM.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

P.S. Daleks vs Cybermen was hilarious.

Comment

The production quality and budget of the new Doctor Who series appears very good to me. Doctor Who definitely has a better budget than anything on the SyFy channel. Somewhere around the end of season 4 the production quality / budget appears to go up significantly. They suddenly start doing more on location scenes, better sets, helicopter camera shots, and other pricy little details. Just a little detail to look forward too…

The trick is to stick with the show as they are constantly changing and improving it. They don’t try to please everyone with every episode. That is a huge plus for me even though it means there are a few episodes that I personally didn’t get. I think season 1 is a little weaker than the others but my co-worked swears it’s the best. That type of controversy is the mark of great art and great entertainment! Show me a TV show that everyone kind of likes and I will show you a TV show that no one loves!

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    P.S. Daleks vs Cybermen was hilarious.
                    Funny, The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit was one of my favourite stories from S2 of New Who, and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday one of my most despised (Daleks Vs Cybermen should *never* have happened).

I also despise S2 Rose.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Series 3 was BRILLIANT!!!
                      *beat beat beat beat*
                      *beat beat beat beat*
                      *beat beat beat beat*
                      The Massster... reborn.

This is the Doctor Who I've wanted to see. First of all, the character of Martha Jones was pretty well executed and I was a little sad to see her go(especially considering who's coming next).

The Doctor himself, played by Tennant has gone from melodramatic to GENIUS. It took awhile to grow on me, but I loved every second of his performance. Great actor, that one.
                      (I still like the Ninth more though)

Derek Jacobi(who also played Nicodemus in the classic "Secret of NIMH") was absolutely chilling as the Master. Even as professor Yana, there was a certain element of unease and when he played the bad guy, you could definitely see that evil Delgado glint in his eyes(The part where he turned around to face the camera...)

John Simm as the Master was... crazy(*thumbs up*). His performance was great, but he never seemed evil, more like delusional. However, his "Track 03" has now replaced the Ghostbusters scene as my fav DW moment ever.

The episodes themselves were all good. Utopia was the best episode of the season and is even on par with Dalek.

The episode with all the floating cars was really funny. It sounded really comfy to travel in one of those things for so long.

And here come the negatives.
                      1) Believe it or not, but the TARDIS actually went to another planet this series. The problem is, it was involuntary. I still want to see the Doctor travel to another world(New Earth was a slap in the face) intentionally.
                      2) Still not much else of the TARDIS has been seen other than the control room.
                      3) John Simm got a little annoying at times.
                      4) Captain Jack Harkness should have stayed in the main cast.
                      Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Glad to see you're enjoying the show. This was about the point where I really started to like the 10th Doctor. To be fair, though, my favorite is still the 9th and it's a pity he only wanted one season.
                        sigpic

Comment

As someone who grew up watching WHO in the 80's (5 was "my" Doctor, though through plenty of re-runs I saw 3 and 4, was a proper fan in time for 7, and then caught up with 1 and 2 on VHS in the 90's), this thread has been nice to read, seeing someone taking the journey through modern WHO over a fairly short time span.

Whilst "NuWho" has taken its time to give us an indepth exploration of the TARDIS (sorry rushy, you've got a few seasons to get through), in reality in 26 years of Classic Who, there was really very few stories that showed more than the console room. Early WHO certainly had "domestic" scenes in the TARDIS, but now days there just isn't time in a 45 minute story to enjoy scenes like eating bacon-and-egg-in-a-cheese-stick sticks from the food replicator...
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

A few little S3 highlights I forgot to share with you...

1)The easter eggs in Blink. As someone who loves easter eggs, it was tremendous fun. Why can't I have one of those DVDs with the Doctor on it?
                            2) I really like how the old Doctor in The Last Of The Time Lords looks so resigned to his fate. He just stares out, knowing deep down that the Master is screwed anyway and just waits for the moment... especially during the Track 3.
                            3) Captain Harkness clinging to the TARDIS whilst traveling through the time vortex.

And an extra negative.

Does Earth really need to get invaded twice EVERY season? It's getting kinda old. And if it does, why is it always the 21st century? And how come the 21st century is called present time when the Doctor doesn't have a present(being a time traveler and all)?
                            Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Breaking from the new series for a bit, this is my review of the Doctor Who telemovie.

Whoever said that this is only a cheesy flick with nothing but Paul McGann's performance is bonkers. This was WAY better than what the new series has offered us so far. The only episodes coming close to this swashbuckling tale of Awesome would be Dalek from Series 1 and the Master trilogy from Series 3.

Now, I know this is a movie and a bigger budget is expected, but still, compared to the console room of the Seventh/Eighth Doctor, the room of the Ninth/Tenth is pathetic.

Paul McGann loves to be the Doctor and it shows. He gives his heart and soul to the performance and by the end of the movie, I was all set to travel around the universe with him. Alas, his long era is comprised merely of comics and radio. Why couldn't BBC just hire him to do an older Eighth Doctor for the new show? Also, his costume rules.

Having previously enjoyed Sylvester McCoy in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", I knew I was gonna like him as the Seventh Doctor and I did, but he wasn't around long enough for me to get really attached. But that's understandable, it's not his movie after all.

Eric Roberts as the Master was spot-on. His performance flew over Derek Jacobi(no offense) and nearly topped John Simm. I really liked how friendly his personality was, a far cry from the previous Masters. Just the kind of guy you'd like to have on your side. He's like Han Solo, except he's evil. Plus, the Master with shades... oh yeah.

Though I never really focus that much on companions, Chang Lee and Grace Holloway were both solid characters by the end and I really wished they would've sticked around for a series, they were a fantastic pair of people for the Doctor to go around with.

The special effects were all well done, not as good as the new series but it's the 1990s, not the 2000s, so no problem with that. The regeneration scene was a bit of a letdown though. It just happened so fast and so non-dramatically and no big glowy stuff like in the series.

Also, the intro for the movie... FAN-TASTIC.
                              And the negatives? What negatives? Well, the Master's devil costume at the end was a bit over-the-top and like usual in the DW franchise, no one except the audience can hear the painfully obvious sounds of evil creatures moving by. But that's no big deal.

*I have one question. Does the quality of this movie come directly from the old series or is it a result of "Americanized Who"? Please tell me.
                              Last edited by rushy; 11 November 2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X