Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Going Through Doctor Who

I hope this is an ok place to ask this, when does the next season start? From what I've read online, (skimming to not get spoiled, we're only at the beginning of season 3) it looks like the 50th special in Nov, a Christmas special and then the next season sometime in 2014? My son is trying so hard to power watch them all now, I keep trying to tell him he has some time

Yes that's right. The 50th Special (The Day of the Doctor) is on 23rd November, then there will be the Christmas Special on Christmas Day and series 8 sometime autumn 2014.

Also there will be lots of other programmes about the 50th anniversary but I think it depends on where you live if you will get them or not, for example, An Adventure in Time and Space (a drama about the beginning & making of Doctor Who) is also being shown on 23rd Nov in the UK and the US. Not sure about the rest of the world.

As a kid, I was once watching TV when I came across this Roman guy holding his girlfriend or something...
    and then suddenly a man with a fez and a mop teleported into the scene and I was hooked forever...

Does Series 5 hold up to what little I recall from my childhood? Yes.
    Matt Smith gives a riveting performance as the hyperactive Eleventh Doctor, even more ready to cut off his own sentences and add something than the last guy. I love the bow-tie, I love the tweed and I don't care what anyone says, the fez works.

Karen Gillan isn't Rose, but she sure glues eyes to the screen, I'll tell ya that. Love da accent. She should've been paired with Tenth instead of Donna. Then they could share accents together. BTW, that is one small skirt. *grin*

Arthur Darvill is... funny, at times. I think Rory is cooler when he's sarcastic. When he's doing the Mickey... meh.

Contrary to most people's opinion, I did like the New Paradigm Daleks. They were a great contrast to both the background and the old Daleks and they got me a little worried for the Doc's wellbeing. I actually thought that was how classic Daleks looked like when I first saw them.

The Dream Lord is definitely a character who should come back. He was played masterfully by Toby Jones and was a great mirror to the Eleventh Doctor persona.

I absolutely adored the new intro, giving the old theme song a little more curiosity and wonder. Took me a while to get into the thunderclouds, but now that I think about it, it shows pretty well how destabilized the vortex has become.

And here we come to The Big Bang, the episode that I saw so long ago... it was exactly as wonderful as I thought back then. The Doctor beaming in and out should've been a running gag, but oh well. And how did Rory not go mad after spending 2000 years awake?
    The Doctor screaming "LISTEN TO ME" as the Pandorica shut gave me real chills.

I was also highly fond of the historical characters like Winston Churchill(Having already been a fan of Ian McNeice) and Vincent Van Gogh(why did he go insane? I don't get it.) who seemed rather accurate(especially when compared to some caricatures done in the run of the series.)

Here I have an important question though... how did remembering the Doctor's existence bring him back? I mean, when Amy recalled Rory was alive, it didn't just pop the real him back into existence.
    And if the Doctor never existed how was it possible for River Song to deliver Amy the empty diary, much less exist? Where'd she come from?
    And if the future River had said to the Doctor that they'll see "when the Pandorica opens", how come nobody figured out that their survival was pretty much meant to be?
    And what was the Doctor thinking when he left a walking Dalek android with a deactivated but still intact super-bomb into the 1930s?!

Ooh, the new TARDIS design! A bit too mosaic if you get what I mean, but could've been worse...
    Spoiler:
    no it couldn't have, it was horrendous. Worse than the leopard skin!
    Last edited by rushy; November 11th, 2013 at 11:33 AM.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    As a kid, I was once watching TV when I came across this Roman guy holding his girlfriend or something...
    and then suddenly a man with a fez and a mop teleported into the scene and I was hooked forever...
    I've been watching WHO since before permanent memories... and as such, I envy you this wonderful defining moment... I instead grew up with an absolute mixed bag of mixed up moments in my head from Drs 3, 4, and 5 having seen most of their stories on first or re-runs whilst under the age of 7... (mostly only once, maybe twice if I as lucky) I then had quite a wonderful journey revisiting them all as I grew older and saw the episodes on rerun again as time went by... But, no real defining moment.

Probably the closest for me was circa 1988, with my first VCR on hand to tape the omnibus editions that were screening at the time from Tom's last few seasons... and just knowing that something big was coming... Off to check my brother's "What's What and Who's Who" of Doctor Who, to discover that Logopolis was indeed coming up, followed by Castrovalva - the first episode of "my" Doctor... The excitement built so much, on the day of Logopolis airing, I had a migraine... spent the day in bed vomiting with 7 nine inch nails thru my head.. but not to sick to stagger out and hit REC on the VCR...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Time and the Rani. Good lord... *sobs* What were they THINKING?!
    Positives? THERE ARE NO POSITIVES!!! This is as bad as Love and Monsters!!
    But let me explain step by step. The episode begins with the TARDIS under attack. The Doctor and his companion(whom I cannot elaborate on out of fear of throwing up) are unconscious. The TARDIS lands on some random quarry planet and the Doctor has the most pathetic regeneration scene EVER.

I mean seriously, this is the only time where it felt unimportant. Even he himself was like: "I must have regenerated. Oops." And what killed him? A bump to the head? An electric shock?

And then we get the Doctor Who intro. Which has been utterly lobotomized. The sound pierces and twists my ears like a screwdriver(pun intended). Even the DOCTOR WHO sign is wrong! The "Doctor" is too small and the "WHO" is ugly and ginormous. It's a little stylish, but that's about it.

The CGI is something you cannot make up in your worst nightmares. I know DW had a small budget, but come on, it was the 1980s, by that time we had A Space Odyssey and Dune!! Couldn't they have made a little plastic TARDIS and fly it around a black background?

The Rani is basically a regenerated professor Umbridge without the intellect(the Doctor literally did the "look behind you" and took her out).

Sylvester McCoy does an okay job as the Seventh Doctor, but he has little personality besides moping and being drunk and I swear his clothes(after he changes them) have a perception filter on them.

Even the scene where he picks himself new clothes was wrong because it was the Rani, not the companion who was helping him pick(I don't know if that's a curse or a blessing).
    The aliens suck, the villains suck, the story sucks, the Doctor sucks, the companion sucks.
    That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by rushy; November 11th, 2013 at 11:27 AM.

The Daleks made for a fascinating watch. One thing I truly enjoy about Moffat's way of handling Doctor Who is that he hides these little things(like sounds and objects) from the old series into the new one. For instance, the beeping sound from the Dalek control room was the same as the sound of the Progenitor in Victory of the Daleks. But let's start with characters.

*William Hartnell is underused but also the only really effective character here. Many complain about his selfishness and amorality, but I think they should remember that at this point, the Doctor is still alien to Earth(which is where he learned to become the man who said "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."). Just take the First Doctor as the learning antihero that he is and you'll be fine for the most part.

Note that the Fifth and Tenth Doctors were not the only ones who wore "brainy specs".

Unfortunately, other than force the group to the Dalek City, he had very little to do in this episode but just be the Doctor. Because the show has to have one.

*I am not fond of the companions. Barbara is useless, Ian is a pompous cardigan-wearing headache and Susan is unusually childish for a species who "serve at the age of 8. Not that you'd call it childhood."

The storyline was a hit and miss. It's arguably the most important Doctor Who serial ever produced as the introduction of the Daleks, but I'm a little shocked at how unscary they were. I mean seriously, the way they just open up one of them and toss the mutant out makes them look pathetic. However, I do admire that the Daleks firing at people caused them to go negative was a thing even then. Also, how come we never saw them extend their plungers in the new show? That's a practical function!

*The Thals are generic Star Trek(yes I know which came first) aliens. In fact, they look a lot like the utopian folk who tried to kill Wesley for stepping on their flowers.

Despite all these setbacks, I have to applaud the old series for its creativity, something that the new series still lacks. Where are the colorful new planets with historical backgrounds that have NOTHING to do with the OVERUSED human race?

If I could've changed anything about this one, I would've erased the last two episodes. Everything was set to end and we even would've gotten a lesson about non-interference had Ian not left the bloody fluid tank in the Dalek City.
    Last edited by rushy; November 12th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Useless, pompous and childish... Mmm...

Sadly, I certainly agree that Susan was regrettably played like the 15 year old she appeared to be, rather than (as Carole Ann Ford had originally anticipated) as a very intelligent and capable child of another race... I believe originally it was intended she would be a much stronger character, however ultimately they turned her into the damsel in distress/access point for the young audience. If you watch the unaired Pilot of An Unearthly Child, you get a bit of a glimmer of that other option...

As for Babs and Ian being useless and pompous... I think really it's just this story. Barbara goes on to prove her abilities many times over the following 2 years, and Ian is I think quite simply a man of his times...

Given that this 160-odd minute story was condensed into 90 for the Cushing movie, it obviously could have been quicker on its feet... (and I'm working on such an edit as we speak) But it was serial television from the 60's...
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    and lots more!

15 year olds are NOT that pathetic. Or pathetic at all, they're actually pretty smart already by that age.

Had Susan been played as a proper Time Lady, we would've gotten some excellent material. And the character might have returned(instead she was just ditched in the 22nd century.)

Even though I usually stay away from non-canon material and I've heard some bad things about it, I might check out the Cushing movies.

But definitely not before Genesis of the Daleks.

Genesis is epic.

The Cushing movies are dire - avoid.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

I dunno. The First Cushing isnt' all that bad and it stays pretty close to the orginal story. (only real downside is the guy playing Ian gives a real hammy out of character performance. Is all klutzy and goofy. The Dalek Invasion is pretty bad. It gets all wacky and very very Mod Style 60's at times. That one I couldn't get thru. And its not a sequel to the first Cushing movie either.
    I like Sharky

An Unearthly Child
    The beginning of an era...

William Hartnell is a bit more active in this(being the introduction and all). I particularly liked some of his more Time Lord-y bits in the unaired pilot. He comes across as arrogant, absent-minded and very alien. Unlike later Doctors, we have no clue what this guy is thinking about or who he even represents. This mystery quality is one I favor.

Carole Ann Ford does a much better Susan here than in the Daleks. In the unaired pilot, I was shocked by how intelligent she appeared(as opposed to the personality they eventually went with). You could really see parts of the Doctor shining through her.

I liked Ian a lot more in this serial because 1) Very little visible cardigan and 2) He's far more realistic. Unlike the Daleks, he's not in charge, but is simply trying to survive. I like how calm he appears throughout the whole thing.

Barbara hasn't made much of an impact on me. She starts out sort of okay and then has a mental breakdown in the later part and that's pretty much it. I hope she gets some character development.

Overall plot: The last three episodes of the serial(read: all but the first) were useless. It started out great, with Ian and Barbara discovering the TARDIS(looking almost like Matt Smith's version in the unaired pilot and like an old piece of junk in the regular). But then the story degenerated into some stupid cavemen politics schtick. It was well acted(except when they make it look like a school play here and there) so I sort of got into it, but still worthless.

The first episode should've just kicked off the Daleks and continued from there. But I'm not one to complain... as the beginning of Doctor Who, it was pretty brilliant and mysterious.

I didn't mention this in the above review, but I do like the TARDIS console room. The furniture is a bit out of place(fitting much more in McGann's room), but it mostly looks okay. The console's pretty cool-looking for the 60s.

I will get back to Series 6 as soon as possible, but you can definitely expect some more Hartnell serial reviews in the near future.

The Edge Of Destruction
    This one is just confusing...

It seems that the writers felt the need for some character development, so here comes Doctor Who's very first bottle show. The story itself is very simple: the TARDIS's rewind switch has gotten stuck, sending the ship back to the Big Bang(not explicitly, but probably). The crew have to figure out what's going on before the ship gets blown up.

Despite that simple premise that could've easily fitted into one solitary episode, we get a large amount of filler(mainly the Doctor and Susan being paranoid plus some nonsensical clues given by the TARDIS) which really drags it down. And it's only two episodes!!

On the plus side, the Doctor finally starts warming up to his companions and I'm really beginning to enjoy William Hartnell as the First Doctor. Man, was he awesome. When he's good, he's a grandfather role model. When he's evil, he drips with malignancy. Awesome.

William Russell(Ian) didn't have much to do in this episode except look confused, but his performance was fine as usual. I've even gotten used to that cardigan.

Barbara... just as weird as before. She's really creepy at the end when she looks into the distance. It's supposed to signify that she's insulted, but... still.

Susan was mostly okay, especially towards the end, but in the first episode, she acts completely OOC and starts threatening people with scissors... I mean, if she thinks Ian, Barbara and the Doctor are possessed, why doesn't she just ask who they are? Instead, she goes nuts. I don't like the way her character is written at all.

What I did love about this ep was that we got to see more of the TARDIS than we've seen in the new series, the Doctor's speech at the end and getting to know about the Heart of the TARDIS so early on. We even found out how the time rotor works.

I'm already halfway into series 6, so that WILL be the next review. See ya!

The Edge of Destruction was created as a 2-parter specifically because at the time, Doctor Who had gone from basically a "yes, go make us 52 episodes - one for every week of the year", to "err well... This looks bloody expensive... Let's try 13 first". AUC (4), Daleks (7)...

There had also been some story ideas fall through... and the budget concerns... making this 2 parter fit the bill.

No one seems to quite remember WTF was going on, but one story is that during episode 1, the director told them to act like they were being possessed... Then in ep2, that was scrapped!

Yes... Odd, weird, but I like it... I think.

--

Oh - And, I just was reading over on doctorwhonews.com... Around the time of filming Edge, there was concern that the actors may be getting cold feet due to the shadow over the show's future (ie only 13 episodes guaranteed), and Barbara actress, Jacqueline Hill, for instance was considering a film role... all of which may have caused the actors to perhaps not "give their all"... (So the higher echelons were hassled into giving a firm commitment to at least 26 episodes, with maybe 39...)
    Last edited by cosmichobo; November 22nd, 2013 at 12:21 AM.
    and lots more!

The oldest question in the universe... doctor who?

It's a little difficult to come up with an opinion for Series 6. I'll just start with what I loved.
    First of all, the running mystery was my favourite so far. The Doctor's deathdate was scary and the idea of him running from it(again) would've made material for more than one series.
    The episodes weren't as interesting as usual though. I just can't put my finger on it, but everything felt different than Series 1-5. Perhaps more complicated. Too complicated. I could barely follow it at times, we just jumped from one place to another(Moffat has an obsession with paradoxes) so fast.

My head ached after every episode, I kid you not.

The Silence are a brilliant enemy species(finally we replace the Daleks). I thought the way people forgot them instantly after seeing them was really cool(where did they get a marker to count every time it happened?). I hated Madame Kovarian. In fact, she is the first villain I ever actively hated(usually I love them). Good writing, I suppose.

It was nice to see more of Ian McNeice(since I'm a big fan of him) as Winston Churchill. Especially when he became a Roman Emperor.

Matt Smith is absolutely dashing in his role as the Eleventh Doctor, always hyperactive and switching costumes. I haven't seen Patrick Troughton yet, but I can guess that this is supposed to be him on steroids.

Karen Gillan as Amy and Arthur Darvill as Rory are a lot more likable this season now that Amy is fully committed to her relationship and their baby. Rory is much more confident and has fully grown out of his proto-Mickey role. I do like the way the Doctor finally has a family(a much more believable one than the Tylers). The Pond Life episode made me cackle.

Craig from the Lodger was fun to see again. He's a really nice friend to have.

Steven Moffat brings the universe of Doctor Who to life in ways that have never been seen before(and we are finally done with the stuck-on-Earth-jinx) with aliens and technologies that aren't explained, making it very realistic. My second favourite moment was when the Doctor explained that the reason our lives can be weird is because time is being rewritten all around us(can't time travelers mess with the future for a change?)
    And here comes my favourite moment: "Hello Dalek." Just so epic and creepy.

Now come the things I DISliked.
    *The random prophecies that go nowhere. They sound good in theory but where did "A Good Man Goes To War" and "Tick-tock, Goes The Clock" originate from anyway? Who wrote the songs?
    *Forgettable episodes. Unlike previous seasons, I really don't have any episodes I'd go back to and enjoy just for the sake of it other than the Almost People. Because I'd likely just hurt my head again. I wanna watch some straightforward Hartnell, damn it!
    *Not enough GERONIMOOOO!!!!
    *The Doctor obliterated several races and he's not feeling 'sorry, so sorry'? He sounds lighter, but I think he is or at least, is becoming a much darker Doctor than the Tenth.
    *I've gotten more than used to the new TARDIS, but why can't we still see more of it?
    *What was with the Apollo astronaut suits?
    *And the point of Canton Edward Delaware the Third was...?
    Last edited by rushy; December 10th, 2013 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rushy View Post
    *And the point of Canton Edward Delaware the Third was...?
    Meh - pure and simple cross sci-fi-show gratuity...

But yes, the character is pointless. Both in his normal form, and his aged form.

But it meant I got to see Mark Sheppard live in the flesh here in Australia, as host of the WHO Symphony, so - I don't mind!
    and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Meh - pure and simple cross sci-fi-show gratuity...

But yes, the character is pointless. Both in his normal form, and his aged form.

But it meant I got to see Mark Sheppard live in the flesh here in Australia, as host of the WHO Symphony, so - I don't mind!
    ... I really don't get that...

How was he a pointless character...? How can any character be pointless, even if they only have a small roll...

"Over 900 years of time and space and I've never met anyone who wasn't important..."

"Five Rounds Rapid"

I think it's just that he starts out with a lot of promise, but seems to be discarded along the way...

He's a Dibber...
    and lots more!

It's really a shame that Marco Polo only exists as a recon. This is definitely the best serial I've seen so far(yes, better than the Daleks). The story flows nicely, the pacing is some of the best I've ever seen and it feels like a long and fulfilling journey(the Indiana Jones-esque maps + Marco's voiceover helped).

I loved the fact that the story had no alien influence in it whatsoever. The Doctor and his companions merely get caught up in the events of the past and spend the entire time working their way back out. Just what a proper historical should be like(not giant bees and invisible monsters).

My one complaint is that the Doctor is virtually non-existent in this story. I can see this incarnation prefers to work behind the scenes and here it's literal. He barely even showed up and when he did, it was usually in the background.

The main focus of the story is on Ian and Marco Polo. And that's not bad in itself since Ian is a very strong character and this story reinforces it tenfold. His heroism is believable and he's a great role model for kids.
    Marco is presented very believably. He isn't exactly the most likable person and he never actually becomes friends with the crew, but you can see he's got big morals and tries to follow them to the best of his ability. He also represents the way people thought back then.

Tegana was a chilling, slippery villain. His picture should be in the dictionary next to the word insidious. If only I could've actually seen him act... great casting here. You just see him and you know, "that's a villain, man."

Susan had some character development here with a girl named Ping-Cho who was forced to marry an old guy. That was rather nice. She also became a bit braver and learned a few lessons about wandering off.

Barbara... still nothing.

Overall, I thought it was brilliantly done. It seemed a bit slow at times and the ending was very rushed, they sort of just got into the TARDIS after the final action scene and disappeared.

Despite what I said above about pacing, it seemed like a few episodes too long, just like the Daleks. However, this one never got boring.

P.S. In the original timeline, how did Tegana's assasination attempt on Kublai Khan play out?

I must admit to never having watched this full recon... despite the allure of colour... though I did get through the 30 min terribly abridged version that's... on... one of the DVDs (I forget which - didn't even know I had it til someone told me).

Which is a shame, as I remember loving the novelisation when I was a kid!

Let's hope the latest rumours are true, and the story has been recovered... even a few episodes from it would be great... and of course, thanks to those colour telesnaps... We'd have the only real viable potential to see a Hartnell story in colour... Shame the other telesnaps weren't done in colour too.

(Actually, it's a shame they didn't make WHO in colour right from the start. Might have helped to sell it to the States... and potentially have averted the current missing episodes saga altogether, with more prints potentially out there to track down...)
    and lots more!