Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would other countries name their ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The person. Well to me at least.

Comment

EDIT: Posted the same thing 2 years ago. Forgot about it.
      Last edited by Icedragon; 02 September 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        The person. Well to me at least.
        You could but at this point both names are more closely tied with the Nazi ships than the founding fathers of German military and government after their Unification.
        Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
          You could but at this point both names are more closely tied with the Nazi ships than the founding fathers of German military and government after their Unification.
          Agreed. I don't really think anyone would want to serve on a ship called the Bismarck. Maybe in another half-century perhaps.

Comment

In one of my fics I gave Canada two ships named Iroquois and Huron

For UK ships, I think (and would hope) that the names would reflect the heritage of each individual country within the Union.

But for Scottish ship names, I think naming them after famous literary figures would be good, so maybe The Walter Scott or The Robert Burns or naming them after Scottish Islands - Skye, Arran, Mull, Bute etc
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
              IBut for Scottish ship names, I think naming them after famous literary figures would be good, so maybe The Walter Scott or The Robert Burns or naming them after Scottish Islands - Skye, Arran, Mull, Bute etc
              How's about William Wallace!

Comment

Na.. they would go with the Sputnik and the Mir!
                Na... Sputnik and Mir are names for satellites, not ships.

I know I would call a Russian ship "Gordost' Dzhedaja". That's Russian. That's very patriotic. It means "Jedi's Pride"....

Comment

Smirnoff!!

Comment

Smirnoff!!
                    unfortunately, it will not take you long... But you could get the hell of the trip!

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                    Seems stupid but the Neil Robertson ship could work. (Neil is an australian snooker player, very good one) I thought that this is a good name because it exists, well, existed the O'Neill ship, so i can't be the Neil ship.
                    Neil Robertson would work for me. But is we're talking the most famous Australian person here - we should name the ship Kangaroo!

Comment

If we are going with famous Aussie people..
                      Croc Dundee
                      Kylie Minogue
                      AC/DC (they are from Australia)
                      The Hugh Jackman (or heath ledger!)

Comment

I've been thinking: what would the French name their ships? I've looked through some references to French icons, such as mythology, famous scientists and the like, but none of them really stood out to me as a cool name. I don't really buy into the idea that nations would necessarily name their space ships after their sea vessels, but if they're cool enough they might work.

Comment

Working...
                        X