Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Stargate a good franchise for gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Stargate a good franchise for gaming?

I would like to know should a studio even consider investing in a Stargate game with the track record the franchise has in gaming. Or is it the games themselves or even the platform that the games are being released on. Could a Stargate game be good on a home console rather than mobile or PC? And what do you think would be good game ideas to explore with the franchise?(MMO, FPS, Post-SGU, etc)

Also if you think Stargate could still have a future in gaming, which studio would you like to see make the game?

Comment

An open world rpg/shooter similar to Rage/Fallout/Skyrim would be perfect. Those games work fine on home consoles, so a Stargate game would as well. Considering it's done by the right studio.
      sigpic

Comment

Blizzard could make a Stargate RTS/MMorpg a la Warcraft franchise. It would be great...

Comment

It should be. But it seems stargate is cursed by rubbish studios or studios with inadequate funding picking up the licensing to produce games base on the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            It should be. But it seems stargate is cursed by rubbish studios or studios with inadequate funding picking up the licensing to produce games base on the franchise.
            I hear you but I read somewhere that SONY owns 20% of MGM. I just thought it would be cool to see a Stargate game end up on the PS4

Comment

I would love 2 versions.. One an "Empire at war like" RTS (not just a fan based re-mod of EoW), and the other say a FPS like the Delta force series.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakkBilli View Post
                I hear you but I read somewhere that SONY owns 20% of MGM. I just thought it would be cool to see a Stargate game end up on the PS4
                That was before they went into almost bankrupcy this last time. As of 2010/11, they don't own any now.

Many games have been developed or proposed. About 5 or 6 yrs ago RDA was even promoting one at some industry trade shows. But there have always been problems with the companies funding the games.

There is one out now that Michael Shanks and Amada Tapping did voice overs but I haven't seen it personally.
                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

The franchise has (had) lots of potential. Unfortunately, the morons managing the license kept giving it to startup companies that had no idea how to fund/make/market a video game and now it'll never happen.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Stargate is a rich universe for the gaming experience in all formats from computer/console games to "old skool" pen and paper ( http://www.stargate-rpg.com/ ) and tabletop (minifigs) games. The problem is, they have never had any group do it really "well" unfortunately. SG-1/SGA would lend themselves quite well to FPS's or squad based RTS (a la "Dawn of War" ). SGU would lend itself better to a darker RPG based experience, perhaps on another "destiny class" vessel at the other end of the universe from the TV shows Destiny (of course, if you wanted to play minor characters, the normal Destiny would be fine).

Why it has wandered in the wilderness for so long is somewhat confusing but I will bet that the entire Scifi genre will get a proverbial kick in the pants in 2015 with the buzz that is sure to be generated by SW.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Did Unleashed get cancelled ? They released Episode 1 & nothing for a few months or more now

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                        Did Unleashed get cancelled ? They released Episode 1 & nothing for a few months or more now
                        Did not know that game was episodic maybe they should try to put it on the PS Vita and see how that works because I hate playing games like that on my phone.

Also I never played a pen and paper type game I would like to try it just to see how the rules work

Comment

It would have seemed like a natural choice for a vaguely Borderlands type co-op MMO. You get 1-3 of your friends, form an SG-Team and go through Stargates to do various missions, play out a storyline or all kinds of other things.

You could also give people the option to create teams of Jaffa, an Wraith to act as opposition and co-habitate in the same shared world. Then when they run across the teams from the rival two factions on the same planet you get on the spot PvP action.

I'd play that.

Comment

I would rather have a FPS/Adventure/RPG/Puzzle mixture on PC and next gen consoles( PS4 and X Box One). Just the right amount from each of the genres I mentioned could make it a kick ass game. Plus they have to make amazing graphics for it to be able to compete with the games they release nowadays, because I just watched a game play footage of Crysis 3 and I had a visual orgasm. And that game is not even using all the capabilities of the cry engine.
                            So I would chose either cry engine or unreal engine 4 to base the game upon.
                            Studio wise I would go with Epic or ID/Bethesda. Don't need Sony or Square Enix to japanize the whole for me, no sir. And forget about letting Obsidian near at all. they f***ed up one of my best ARPG, Dungeon Siege in unison with Square Enix. They are both hacks if you ask me.
                            sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakkBilli View Post
                              Also I never played a pen and paper type game I would like to try it just to see how the rules work
                              As a major P&P Rpger, most games have real simple rules to learn. Some though require a lot more in knowledge.. but most after the first 2-4 sessions are quick to pick up.

Comment

Working...
                              X