Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is Stargate a good franchise for gaming?

I would like to know should a studio even consider investing in a Stargate game with the track record the franchise has in gaming. Or is it the games themselves or even the platform that the games are being released on. Could a Stargate game be good on a home console rather than mobile or PC? And what do you think would be good game ideas to explore with the franchise?(MMO, FPS, Post-SGU, etc)

Default Re: Is Stargate a good franchise for gaming?

Also if you think Stargate could still have a future in gaming, which studio would you like to see make the game?

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

An open world rpg/shooter similar to Rage/Fallout/Skyrim would be perfect. Those games work fine on home consoles, so a Stargate game would as well. Considering it's done by the right studio.

Blizzard could make a Stargate RTS/MMorpg a la Warcraft franchise. It would be great...

It should be. But it seems stargate is cursed by rubbish studios or studios with inadequate funding picking up the licensing to produce games base on the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    It should be. But it seems stargate is cursed by rubbish studios or studios with inadequate funding picking up the licensing to produce games base on the franchise.
    I hear you but I read somewhere that SONY owns 20% of MGM. I just thought it would be cool to see a Stargate game end up on the PS4

Major General

I would love 2 versions.. One an "Empire at war like" RTS (not just a fan based re-mod of EoW), and the other say a FPS like the Delta force series.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakkBilli View Post
    I hear you but I read somewhere that SONY owns 20% of MGM. I just thought it would be cool to see a Stargate game end up on the PS4
    That was before they went into almost bankrupcy this last time. As of 2010/11, they don't own any now.

Many games have been developed or proposed. About 5 or 6 yrs ago RDA was even promoting one at some industry trade shows. But there have always been problems with the companies funding the games.

There is one out now that Michael Shanks and Amada Tapping did voice overs but I haven't seen it personally.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

The franchise has (had) lots of potential. Unfortunately, the morons managing the license kept giving it to startup companies that had no idea how to fund/make/market a video game and now it'll never happen.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Stargate is a rich universe for the gaming experience in all formats from computer/console games to "old skool" pen and paper ( http://www.stargate-rpg.com/ ) and tabletop (minifigs) games. The problem is, they have never had any group do it really "well" unfortunately. SG-1/SGA would lend themselves quite well to FPS's or squad based RTS (a la "Dawn of War" ). SGU would lend itself better to a darker RPG based experience, perhaps on another "destiny class" vessel at the other end of the universe from the TV shows Destiny (of course, if you wanted to play minor characters, the normal Destiny would be fine).

Why it has wandered in the wilderness for so long is somewhat confusing but I will bet that the entire Scifi genre will get a proverbial kick in the pants in 2015 with the buzz that is sure to be generated by SW.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Captain

Did Unleashed get cancelled ? They released Episode 1 & nothing for a few months or more now

Quote Originally Posted by JackO'Neill View Post
    Did Unleashed get cancelled ? They released Episode 1 & nothing for a few months or more now
    Did not know that game was episodic maybe they should try to put it on the PS Vita and see how that works because I hate playing games like that on my phone.

Also I never played a pen and paper type game I would like to try it just to see how the rules work

It would have seemed like a natural choice for a vaguely Borderlands type co-op MMO. You get 1-3 of your friends, form an SG-Team and go through Stargates to do various missions, play out a storyline or all kinds of other things.

You could also give people the option to create teams of Jaffa, an Wraith to act as opposition and co-habitate in the same shared world. Then when they run across the teams from the rival two factions on the same planet you get on the spot PvP action.

I'd play that.

I would rather have a FPS/Adventure/RPG/Puzzle mixture on PC and next gen consoles( PS4 and X Box One). Just the right amount from each of the genres I mentioned could make it a kick ass game. Plus they have to make amazing graphics for it to be able to compete with the games they release nowadays, because I just watched a game play footage of Crysis 3 and I had a visual orgasm. And that game is not even using all the capabilities of the cry engine.
    So I would chose either cry engine or unreal engine 4 to base the game upon.
    Studio wise I would go with Epic or ID/Bethesda. Don't need Sony or Square Enix to japanize the whole for me, no sir. And forget about letting Obsidian near at all. they f***ed up one of my best ARPG, Dungeon Siege in unison with Square Enix. They are both hacks if you ask me.
    Hallowed are the Ori.

Major General

Also I never played a pen and paper type game I would like to try it just to see how the rules work
    As a major P&P Rpger, most games have real simple rules to learn. Some though require a lot more in knowledge.. but most after the first 2-4 sessions are quick to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    It would have seemed like a natural choice for a vaguely Borderlands type co-op MMO. You get 1-3 of your friends, form an SG-Team and go through Stargates to do various missions, play out a storyline or all kinds of other things.

You could also give people the option to create teams of Jaffa, an Wraith to act as opposition and co-habitate in the same shared world. Then when they run across the teams from the rival two factions on the same planet you get on the spot PvP action.

I'd play that.
    I also had an idea like that. Players could choose different classes, an archaeologist with the right skills could give the team the ability to access hidden rooms for secondary objectives or rare loot.
    I want to see a game like this come to life but it needs a story. What would be the time line. What and why are we fighting for. Being able to choose different races like with the Jaffa could allow you to have choices like keeping the goa'uld symbiote or use tratonin.
    What do you guys think?

It could play out in an alternate universe where the story goes toward the direction we made with our choices. Also could have multiple different endings based on my previous thought. Most good games have 2 or even 4 different endings. We could end up on the light side, defeating all of the enemies and that could have two sides depending on for example how we treated our allies, how many casualties were there, how many sacrifices we made etc...Or we could end up as the bad guys, like becoming a goa'uld system lord or an Ori ascended being, or just simple evil human etc. You get the idea.
    Also with this alternate universe the creators, studio can take the storyline basicly anywhere and still leave the legacy what the Stargate series left behind completely intact.
    Hallowed are the Ori.

I also had an idea like that. Players could choose different classes, an archaeologist with the right skills could give the team the ability to access hidden rooms for secondary objectives or rare loot.
    I want to see a game like this come to life but it needs a story. What would be the time line. What and why are we fighting for. Being able to choose different races like with the Jaffa could allow you to have choices like keeping the goa'uld symbiote or use tratonin.
    What do you guys think?
    You could set it after the close of the series and have the plot be that the Wraith are invading the MW galaxy. The Free Jaffa blamed Earth for it so split off their alliance so now it's a 3 faction war.

It would also get around the problem of "everyone wanting to play as a Goa'uld but no one as a Jaffa" that might otherwise occur with their faction. Since the Goa'uld would seem to be just plain better at everything where as the other races, SGC and Wraith, would be more balanced. So like you said if you played SGC you could be a marine, an archaeologist or a scientist for example, and each would bring their familiar skill sets to the team dynamic. So you might need the archaeologist to figure out what some lettering means or the location of a hidden loot room. Where as the scientist would help you to reactivate dorment alien tech etc.

The Wraith would have to work a bit differently, you'd have the marine/warrior and scientist class but the archaeologist would be substituted with a Wraith queen who would be useful, to a lesser degree, for some of the same kind of knowledge tasks, but would also have command skills and such that would buff the other Wraith in her team, and psychic attacks to debuff enemies.

Jaffa classes would be a bit trickier and you'd probably have to take more liberties in just making things up there, but in general if you keep it similar to the other two so it's balanced, it should be fine. It might work to give them a character class that's a Tok'ra, as their queen/archaeologist type class.

Or the Jaffa could have a gizmo for sorting ou archeological questions and stuff. For example a holocron like in Star Wars. They could upgrade it during the missions by finding hidden databanks, downloading data from enemy computers etc. It could be visualized as a holographic companion which either talk you trough step by step or give hints and clues. It would depend on the difficulty and importance of certain quests. That would keep the balance. Tok'ra would not be a good choice since the Jaffa hate them maybe more than Earth people (in case you consider Ouroboros' three faction setup).
    I would also bring in the Lucian Alliance as a faction. Plus I would give the Earth faction more ready access to ancient tech to balance the missing Jaffa alliance.
    Hallowed are the Ori.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    As a major P&P Rpger, most games have real simple rules to learn. Some though require a lot more in knowledge.. but most after the first 2-4 sessions are quick to pick up.
    *Throws a variety of polyhedral dice at garhkal*
    Did I get a crit??
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast