How Powerful can a wraith hiveship get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Powerful can a wraith hiveship get?

Just how powerful do you think a wraith hive ship could get with justly naquadria based reactors? Large fusion reactors? Subspace capacitors? Naquada Based Reactors? Nuitrino Ion Generators? Or even worst of all, a working Arcturus reactors, or even worse muiltiple Arcturus reactors? Just how powerful do you think they can get? Might there be upper limits to how powerful they could get?

What if they were upgraded with sheilds, or other such technology stolen from other races? Maybe more efficient weapons, and engines?

It always surprised me that they didn't upgrade them with shields too. It would seem the sensible thing to do.
    A dual level defense of armor and shields would give a ship a significant advantage. I really think Earth should be aiming to do something similar with our own ships either by retrofitting Wraith armor or something based on the Anubis Kull warrior suit material to coat the hull.

I think the reason why the Wraith superhive was able to get so powerful was because it used the energy of the ZPM at different times. The Wraith armor was grown and used the ZPM for that purpose, but by the time the ship went into battle the armor did not need energy the way a shield would so the full power of the ZPM could be diverted to weapons.

I'm not sure that adding a more powerful energy source would continue to make a Wraith hive more formidable in a linear way.

Comment

i think quite powerful. The wraiths main weakness is power generation (enemy at the gate) and when this was solved it allowed the ship to grow far larger and more powerful that a standard Hive. i don't think the increase in strength would be linear (diminishing returns and such) but being organic the ships systems, including its power grid, could continue growing to accommodate the increase in power.

Assuming they could interface their tech with the new power sources, then the armor of the ship may become so thick that no known weaponry would be able to penetrate it. as for shielding, perhaps they cant use it because of the organic design of their ships? if this wasn't the case then surely they would have found a way to develop their own shields in thousands of years, especially considering all other space faring races in the Pegasus Galaxy have shields.

Comment

Originally posted by acegunner View Post
        Just how powerful do you think a wraith hive ship could get
        Depends on what size you give to it. If we go by the original 11km, then it's a true godship.

With such a size, and with such simplified thermodynamics in Stargate, each shot would instantly vaporize a 304. Truly, they'd be able to destroy every known ship.

Comment

give it a power source like a Zero Point Module, or an alternate power source, it be powerful as the hive ship in (enemy at the gate) or even more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlantisStargate View Post
            give it a power source like a Zero Point Module, or an alternate power source, it be powerful as the hive ship in (enemy at the gate) or even more powerful.
            Unnecessary. Give it naquahdah generators alone and it can kick major ass. A ship that big can be filled with a ****load of power generators.

Comment

There is also a zpm in Aurora class ship. I dont think even a zpm-supported hive ship can rival an Aurora controlled by the ancients.

Comment

Originally posted by ljxjcz View Post
                There is also a zpm in Aurora class ship. I dont think even a zpm-supported hive ship can rival an Aurora controlled by the ancients.
                You over estimate the Aurora class.

I don't even think there are ZPMs in the ships anyway.
                Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                  You over estimate the Aurora class.

I don't even think there are ZPMs in the ships anyway.
                  According to Spoils of War some had ZPM's.

If a hive is 11km as mentioned in the show, and an aurora is some 2.5 km (according to Ship Scaling Sprites thread), and i look at the geometry of the ship, one Hive can hold DOZENS of Aurora's.

Aside from the economy of size, a hive -if we even remotely realistically approach this- should be able to utterly annihilate Auroras.

The problem is the same with the Ha'tak tho: it's a ship filled with weird compromises and strange design decisions. It's not a warship by miles.

Comment

Well those were Replicator ships and those ZPMs did nothing. In fact, a 304 equipped with a ZPM does better.

Honestly there should be a practical limit to what a powerful energy source can do a Hiveship. Perhaps the ZPM powered Hiveship is the limit.

Or the sky is the limit and they could have planet destroying capabilities.
                    Hi There!

Comment

Well those were Replicator ships and those ZPMs did nothing. In fact, a 304 equipped with a ZPM does better.
                      That's Be All My Sins Remembered. I'm talking about Spoils of War, where they say the facility used to be powered by ZPM's stolen from Ancient Auroras

Honestly there should be a practical limit to what a powerful energy source can do a Hiveship. Perhaps the ZPM powered Hiveship is the limit.

Or the sky is the limit and they could have planet destroying capabilities.
                      There is a limit. However, as i mentioned before, the hive design... well it sucks. It's a ship built entirely on compromises and bad assumptions and it's far, FAR from a warship. If it were retrofitted with proper weapons, stuffed with power generators and associated systems, it could definitely give any ship in the SG universe a run for it's money.

A superhive is probably a good example of what it can do with "pump a ton of power into it" although i still doubt the design is optimized.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        That's Be All My Sins Remembered. I'm talking about Spoils of War, where they say the facility used to be powered by ZPM's stolen from Ancient Auroras

There is a limit. However, as i mentioned before, the hive design... well it sucks. It's a ship built entirely on compromises and bad assumptions and it's far, FAR from a warship. If it were retrofitted with proper weapons, stuffed with power generators and associated systems, it could definitely give any ship in the SG universe a run for it's money.

A superhive is probably a good example of what it can do with "pump a ton of power into it" although i still doubt the design is optimized.
                        That's probably why they have cruisers. Hive ships are hives. Troop transports and all with heavy weapons.

It would be interesting in how a true Wraith battleship would look like.
                        Hi There!

Comment

That's probably why they have cruisers. Hive ships are hives. Troop transports and all with heavy weapons.

It would be interesting in how a true Wraith battleship would look like.
                          they are battle-carrier-command-transport-research-city-ships.

Their role is "everything a cruiser doesn't do"

Comment

I personally would LOVE to see a super hive, say akin to the Executor versus the regular ISD (hives)..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              I personally would LOVE to see a super hive, say akin to the Executor versus the regular ISD (hives)..
                              It would be kinda cool like the supreme ship of the oldest Queen from the days when they defeated the Atlanteans for example.
                              Hi There!

Comment

Working...
                              X