Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Time travel (Continuum)

    I am fascinated with concepts such as time travel and parallel universes. But I disagree with Stargate SG1/Continuum's interpretation of the theory of time travel. For instance, if one travels back in time and changes an event, it doesn't follow that the future time line would simply begin to vanish and shift before people's eyes as it did in the movie. If time is in fact linear in this fashion, it would follow that people would be utterly unaware of the time line shifting. (I wish I could post a link to the specific scene I am referring to).

    Imo, if one travels back in time and changes an event, it would not alter the exact future he or she came from, but rather it would simply create a new time line. In fact, I do not believe in time travel in the conventional sense of the term. The past has already happened, and the future is not yet so, thus travel to a place that no longer exists, or does not yet exist is impossible.. Unless all time lines exist at every moment in some form.

    Just a few thoughts on the matter.

  2. #2
    General hedwig's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula - huggling trees
    Posts
    23,127

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I am fascinated with concepts such as time travel and parallel universes. But I disagree with Stargate SG1/Continuum's interpretation of the theory of time travel. For instance, if one travels back in time and changes an event, it doesn't follow that the future time line would simply begin to vanish and shift before people's eyes as it did in the movie. If time is in fact linear in this fashion, it would follow that people would be utterly unaware of the time line shifting. (I wish I could post a link to the specific scene I am referring to).

    Imo, if one travels back in time and changes an event, it would not alter the exact future he or she came from, but rather it would simply create a new time line. In fact, I do not believe in time travel in the conventional sense of the term. The past has already happened, and the future is not yet so, thus travel to a place that no longer exists, or does not yet exist is impossible.. Unless all time lines exist at every moment in some form.

    Just a few thoughts on the matter.
    Are you referring to the scene in the Tok'ra pyramid where the Tok'ra started disappearing, and then Teal'c disappeared?

  3. #3
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    Are you referring to the scene in the Tok'ra pyramid where the Tok'ra started disappearing, and then Teal'c disappeared?
    It was the scene in Continuum when Vala disappeared, and then many of the Tok'ra as well. If the time line can shift, it seems unlikely that people would notice.

  4. #4
    Brigadier General fems's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,283

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    That was obviously done for dramatic purposes, since the explanation about time travel on the DVD actually contradicts what happened in the movie...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

  5. #5
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    That was obviously done for dramatic purposes, since the explanation about time travel on the DVD actually contradicts what happened in the movie...
    How so?

  6. #6
    Brigadier General fems's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,283

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Because the theory they explain they're going for means that when traveling through time you actually end up in an alternate reality in which the timeline has reset, thereby bypassing the grandfather paradox, IIRC.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

  7. #7
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    ^ I rewatched Continuum last night, and I did hear Sam mention the grandfather paradox, but not anything specific to our current discussion. It was interesting when they talked about being in the wormhole when the timeline shifted so they were not effected.

  8. #8
    Brigadier General fems's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,283

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Yes but the astrophysicist on the DVD extra explained the time travel theories used in showbiz and which one was used in Continuum. His explanation made the grandfather paradox irrelevant, since they're not in their own reality. The fact that "SG-1" was in transit at the moment of the timeline shift wouldn't matter either and if they ended up in a different reality because of it, then they never should have been able to see everyone else disappear. Not to mention that it's unlikely Mitchell could go back to 1928 (I think it was?) into their original reality to fix the timeline, let alone him and Ba'al coming into the same alternate reality after traveling from a different alternate reality (the one created by the first timeline shift).

    In fact, they might as well have done nothing because they would never get back to their original reality with the original timeline. They only 'fixed' the timeline in an alternate alternate reality, one where there is probably another (but similar) version of them who now don't have to do anything at all.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

  9. #9
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Yes but the astrophysicist on the DVD extra explained the time travel theories used in showbiz and which one was used in Continuum. His explanation made the grandfather paradox irrelevant, since they're not in their own reality. The fact that "SG-1" was in transit at the moment of the timeline shift wouldn't matter either and if they ended up in a different reality because of it, then they never should have been able to see everyone else disappear. Not to mention that it's unlikely Mitchell could go back to 1928 (I think it was?) into their original reality to fix the timeline, let alone him and Ba'al coming into the same alternate reality after traveling from a different alternate reality (the one created by the first timeline shift).

    In fact, they might as well have done nothing because they would never get back to their original reality with the original timeline. They only 'fixed' the timeline in an alternate alternate reality, one where there is probably another (but similar) version of them who now don't have to do anything at all.
    I missed that part. Awesome, so an astrophysicist agrees that essentially time travel as presented by Hollywood is wonderful fiction, but simply unrealistic. Was that in the special features section? i never watch those videos. If it is, I'd love to view it.

  10. #10
    Captain Brother Freyr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    1,439

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    With the multi-verse theory, a "timeline" is essentially a path through the ever-expanding collection of realities. If you go back and "change" something, the old reality still exists, but you're not in it anymore. You've shifted your path through the multi-verse.

    So, yeah, disappearing people is definitely for dramatic effect.

  11. #11
    Brigadier General fems's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,283

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I missed that part. Awesome, so an astrophysicist agrees that essentially time travel as presented by Hollywood is wonderful fiction, but simply unrealistic. Was that in the special features section? i never watch those videos. If it is, I'd love to view it.
    Yes, it was on the DVD.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3


    My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

  12. #12
    Chief Master Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2013
    Location
    the Sky
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: Time travel (Continuum)

    ^ thanks so much. I'll check it out.

    It seems to me that most tv productions use the linear form of time travel. The only exception I have found was on Dragon Ball Z. Trucks travels back in time to destroy these deadly robots before they were created by blowing up Doctor Gero and his lab. But when he does so, and then travels forward in time to his future, he discovered that nothing had changed. He had merely created another time line. That is most logical, if indeed, time travel is possible.

Similar Threads

  1. Time Travel, Time Reactors, and Time War
    By Seastallion in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM
  2. Time Travel
    By amforster in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
  3. Time Travel
    By therealdb in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: August 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
  4. The implications of Time Travel (Continuum spoilers)
    By kymeric in forum Stargate: Continuum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
  5. Hands of time- time travel spin off?
    By Darkstar in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 27th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •