Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So now that the season is over, what do you think? (possible spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now that the season is over, what do you think? (possible spoilers)

I know the feeling here on the forums has been mixed...Some disappointment over how promising the show seemed but then fell flat for them, others cautiously optimistic, while others love it.

Overall, I find the show promising. It does have its flaws, and there were some episodes that were just boring.

If I were to compare it to another show/season, I would say this show is about the same as Falling Skies in its first season...Watchable, just not great.

Here's to hoping that it improves like Falling Skies has overall.

Now, to go and play catch up on the game...
    sigpic

It's a watchable show, it just doesn't fill my need of proper world building and scope for a show that has such a radical setting like Defiance. I don't particularly see Nolan as the "Great Protagonist" that I feel he is supposed to represent and Iressa is rather annoying at times, as well as her species. All and all, I don't really have a "favorite" character or a group of characters that I really like other than what's-his-face (The McSomething dude who owns the mines)....

But this last episode was actually very well done. Not the best, but well done. I hope that it is indicative of the things we will see in season two.

That said, I'll tune in for season two, though I can wait for it to comes out. It's just not there yet.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

I’ve been intrigued enough to want more; but, I'm afraid I haven't adjusted too well to our new network viewing reality-- the 7-11 month show hiatus.

Syfy is not the only one who has this knack for time-scheduling madness; it appears to be the latest trend among the network suits to take for grated the loyalties of a hard-core fan base of The Popular Show-- only to then wonder, with stupefying astonishment, why that same fan base has moved one to other shows/hobbies/distractions once The Show comes back after such a long period of time…

Comment

It was OK. I'll watch season 2 but it was disappointing overall.
        Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

It definitely got better for me as the season progressed. Not a great show IMO, but not bad. I really liked certain episodes, and could barely watch others. I am not emotionally invested at the moment with any of the characters. I do hope that changes. I am hopeful for Season 2, and will definitely give it a shot.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I was thinking over why this show hasn't quite clicked for me yet and I think I figured it out.

The problem is that the supporting cast, Datak, Stahma, Yewll, Rafe, are all a lot more interesting to watch than the main cast, Nolan, Irissa, Amanda.

Because they're the secondary characters though you see less of them and more of the, often flat/annoying/boring main three and thus the show suffers for it.

I also think the lighting needs work. It's odd to say because I can't recall ever complaining about the lighting on a show before, but when I watch something like Farscape there's a marked difference. Farscape uses a lot of dim directional lighting and this has the effect of hiding the flaws and fakeness of some of the costumes and sets. Defiance on the other hand looks almost washed out at times and you can see how flimsy and obviously "TV set cheap" some things look.

So dial down the lighting a little bit in season two and I'd say the show will come off looking a lot better, because let's face it. If people are turning this on and it looks as hokey and cheap as it sometimes did in season one, most of them aren't going to stick around.

Comment

ill watch the second season but will probably just put them on a drive and watch back to back one rainy day when nothing else to do

As others says its an OK show not great I don't care if any of the characters are alive for season 2

compared with something like Walking dead where I want to know who will make it shows a marked difference

Comment

I'm going to be watching season 2 , tho i'm hoping its much better than season 1
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

I'm looking forward to the second season. I enjoyed the first season, especially the last 5 or 6 episodes. The overall story and character development felt disjointed early on though. I think I'd enjoy the show more if it was more serialized, where the events of one episode continue on right into the next one; and less adventure/story of the week within an overall arc.

I liked most of the characters, I found them interesting. I like the premise. More backstory on the characters, more info on the different Votan races, and more on what happened after Votans arrived would have been nice though. Hopefully the show will go into things more during the second season.
                  sigpic

Comment

I had high hopes for season 1 and I'm a little disappointed but I'll definitely hang around for season 2. It was nice seeing Brian J. Smith since SGU days, and Rafe is my favorite character so far because of his strong on-screen presence.

Comment

I like the first season but agree it needs to step up for 2 or it will end there.

I don't like that Datak is so evil yet so easily manipulated by his wife (Jaime Murry).
                      I guess BSG just spoiled me to be able to have bad guys that are also good on occasion to throw you off but Datak is just annoying.

They could make thing a bit better in many ways.
                      Way too many things are unknown about how and why and where
                      Firefights with full auto weapons that never need mag changes and throw no brass cases is a bit stupid but they are not alone in ignoring this.

It has promise but the question is will it self reflect and become really good or continue the current path and without the novelty become past tense

Wulfmann

Comment

Working...
                      X