X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is S8 as good as others?

What are your opinions?

no - it is the worst, or season 7 is the worst. it's a tough call. seven is completly horrible save for a few eps, but season eight is really trying to top that level of crapness.

Comment

Season 8 to me has had its moments. New Order was good. I liked Covenant and Sacrifices. Gemini had its moments. It's Good to Be King was okay. Reckoning Part 1 - Threads is awesome and Moebius 1 and 2 should be great. Prometheus Unbound was horrible! Icon, Affinity - lame. Citizen Joe - bad clip show. Overall, ranks like 4th or 5th to me.

Comment

no matter how bad you think season 8 is, Reckoning 1 & 2 and Threads makes up for it.

Comment

well, I think that NOpts1&2, lock down and Zero hour were great and i was starting to think that S8 was the best yet, but most of the episode after that were either alright or good with icon being th only one that I really didn't like, so I'd rank this season 4th maybe.

Perfecto!

Comment

S8 is going to Sokar.

It's like StarGate 1-6 was the potting soil, S7 was the larvae and S8 is growing into a big fat worm. I suppose S9 (if there is a S9) will be the apple the worm crawls in and S10 (Hahahahahaha!!!) Will be the tunnel it burrows.
            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Before Seasoon 8 i had 3 Seasons as a favourite, Depending on my mood it Changes, they are Seasons 4, 5 and 7. Season 8 has joined the list. It might become my Favourite Season, I still have to see mobious to decide.

The New Order 2 parter, The Reckoning 2 parter and Threads are among my alltime favourite episodes. The episodes i dont like much are Affinity and Joe Citizen, but i still thought they were alright. I also thought Avatar, End Game and Gemini were Great, the rest were in the Good - Really Good range.

So in my opinion Season 8 is as good as some past seasons, better than some others, its to hard for me to pick a favourite overall, but it would be at the top.

Comment

Personally I think that the quality of acting, writing, directing, and special effects has grown every season from the first one.

I think some people are becoming discouraged because when a show runs this long, some things become too predictable. I mean, how often since, oh, season three have you really felt that any character's life was truly at stake? You were always sure that the episode would end with everyone in pretty much one peice and some puzzle solved/enemey defeated. Sure occasionaly they 'loose' (Serpant's Venom, The Nox, Full Circle), but SG-1's lives was never in any danger (well, the ones from this reality anyways ). Of course, whenever the decision to kill a character off ocurred, like in Meridian or Heros, its very powerful.

Also, as Earth has grown, the universe has shrunk. Remember when it was a real treat to actualy see the Asgard? Or heck, a planet that had advanced beyond the bronze age? Remember when Carter was still trying to figure out naquida generators? As the show has continued, the threat to Earth has grown, and Earth's power has had to increase to compensate. Remember In The Serpant's Grasp? Earth didn't have a pray against two Ha'taks. It was only SG-1 and Daniel accidently going to another reality that saved them in time. Some might call that pure luck, and, well, if you think about it, it probably was. It only makes sense however that Earth's governements have learned from near-fiascos like this. Season 7 spoiler: That's why when Anubis showed up in Lost City we had Prometheus and a squadron of F-302s ready for action.

Season 8 spoilers for episodes aired on Sci-Fi in the US:

Now in Season 8, we're at the point where Earth posseses a nubmer of power weapons to defend itself with, a veteran team of explorers who have seen everything, and a governemnt behind the SGC which is finally seeing some solid results from the program. To put it bluntly, new sources of danger were needed. For the first four seasons we had Apophis. Sure we'd occasionaly mix it up with another Goa'uld or the Replicators, but Apophis was always the friendly face of evil in the galaxy for the Tau'ri. After that, the writers needed to re-invigorate the Goa'uld threat, and thus Anubis made his fateful return. Anubis showed that the Asgard could not protect Earth, and he and SG-1 were constantly bumping into each other. With Anubis and Kinsey deafeted in Lost City, and the Replicators defeated in New Order, we needed new bad guys again. I was happy Ba'al was chosen to fill the role as "Really Bad Goa'uld," I never really cared much for Lord Yu. We also had a new internal threat from The Trust, something which the show has been missing during the second half of the series. After Chain Reaction the NID really started to fade as an antoganist to the SGC, only occasionaly reemerging to cause some temporary, but easily fixed, harm. In The Trust, the SGC again had enemies on Earth itself (and after Full Alert, we might have Goa'uld on Earth again, a la Hathor, Seth, and The Curse). The Replicators have also found a way around the magic plot device which almost doomed them, and are now led by none other then our own Samantha Carter. I mean, who else would you want to have for enemies in a series? I find them all waaay more interesting then the Wraith (not to knock Atlantis, which is a great series in and or itself).

Anyways, I guess my point is that I feel season 8 is just as great as all of the others. I'm not thrilled about every episode of it, but there's black sheep in every season. The show has changed, yes, but if it hadn't we'd still be wondering why the Goa'uld haven't just wiped us out, or why we can NEVER seem to get our hands on technology that might actualy be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                  Before Seasoon 8 i had 3 Seasons as a favourite, Depending on my mood it Changes, they are Seasons 4, 5 and 7. Season 8 has joined the list. It might become my Favourite Season, I still have to see mobious to decide.
                  Ditto. Season 4 is my current favorite, but season 8 may very well overtake it, which is a good thing indeed. Right now, my heirarchy of best to not-so-best seasons are season 4, 6, 7, 3 (all four are almost neck-and-neck that they could probably be considered to be tied w/ each other), season 2, season 1 (very slow moving and slightly bland in the middle, but picks up a great amount of momentum at the end w/ several gems spread throughout), and finally season 5; the only season that I can honestly say that I disliked a great deal of it, mainly because the plots this season really were bogged down w/ Earth conspiracy to the point of almost ignoring the goa'uld (seasons 7 and 8 have nothing on this season, yet the Earth-centered stories there are complained about much more; go figure ), the Kawalsky Effect seemed to be far more in use this season than any other, but the biggest mark against it was that it had the most underwhelming finale of any season (but fortunately this season still had enough gems to make it a worthy addition to the DVD collection ).

But, anyway, to reiterate, yes, season 8 is good; damn good, and may just become my new fave.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

Season 8 is the biggest stinker of all I'm afraid. I've only seen up to Citizen Joe, but even if the remaining one's are good, it still doesn't lift the season out of the toilet bowl.
                    Pardon the language, but I'm afraid the season has been pure crapola for the most.
                    It all comes down to the writing. The stories have been the pits.
                    Season 7 is Sheakespeare compared to season eight.
                    How anybody could rank season 8 in their top 3 or 4 is beyond me.
                    It sits proudly on my top 8 list flat bottom at number eight with daylight the next one above.

Comment

Season 8 has its high and low points. It started strongly, lost its way a bit in the middle but seems to be making a good comeback to end the season.

The episodes have generally been top-notch and I especially like how there are more 2-parters. I don't think this is my favourite season but it does come quite close,
                      Spoiler:
                      as they have got a good blend between character development, ie: Teal'c adapting to Earth, and the big picture, ie: the Jaffa rebellion and the replicators.

The only real problem I have with season 8 is that there are a lot of characters leaving,
                      Spoiler:
                      Jacob dying, O'Neill leaving, and Anubis effectively taken out of the picture for a while. However, RDA has to do what's right by him and what's right by him is right by me.
                      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                      The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                      Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                      An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                      Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Season two and three and five are by far the best. I also like season one and four. (Ok, lets just pretend wormhole extreme never happend)

season 6 was quite poor byt had a few eps that pulled it up. I know a lot of people really like season 6 but the acting just seemed wrong and the characters has no enthusiasm.

Season 7 was terrible. Space race? what WHERE they thinking???? I'd rather have a traditional gate to a planet and kick the behinds of some go'auld. The opener, finale and birthright where the only really good eps.

Season 8 was good, back on form methinks. It needed a little more action, and the plot was weak in areas, (but hey, its an american show and us brits are always going to compain about the plot) Threads was superb. When you get that over the atlantic you'll be very impressed,.

I'm really looking forward to season 9 with the changes i think we'll go back to the more traditonal exploration type missons. I'd love to see the return of teryl rotherrry and the tokra anise.

Comment

I've enjoyed Season 8 thus far, save a couple episodes. I'm an easy person to please.
                          Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                          Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                          Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                          Stargate Destiny, Fan
                          Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

It had its moments. Still weak though. At least it was better then season 7.
                            "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

I don't see what so bad I liked season 8.
                              You got a time machine they actually mean to travel in (not by accident.)
                              You had replicators with evil carter at the helm. You had the Avatar episode which crossed Stargate with Halo and we had the trust which were quite cool.
                              In my opinion theseasons from best to worse are 34875216
                              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Working...
                              X