Episode 4x12 "Tangent" Science Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 4x12 "Tangent" Science Question

Okay, here is a question that comes to my mind every time I am watching that episode, that I just cannot let go. It gives me headaches - almost as bad as time-travel episodes do.

"Tangent" is the episode where Teal'c and O'Neill are stuck in a glider that has a security by Apophis built in, and is on its way out of the solar system.

Well, as they are flying out, the SG-C stays in radio-contact with them, and the time that the signal needs to travel to them gets longer. However, at some point, it is mentioned that they fly a lot faster than sound.

Well, if they are traveling at a speed faster that sound waves - how can the radio waves reach them at all? Shouldn't they be beyond reach, becaus etechnically, if an object travels faster that the speed that radio can reach, the radio waves cannot be able to catch up with them)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - it is moments like this where I think, I should have paid a bit more attention in physics at school, because I am sure there's a logical explanation. The entire Stargate franchise is usually very acurate when it comes to basic science.

It is really bugging me.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question - it is moments like this where I think, I should have paid a bit more attention in physics at school, because I am sure there's a logical explanation. The entire Stargate franchise is usually very acurate when it comes to basic science.
    TBH, you're right. Pay attention at school.

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves. They go at the speed of light, not sound.

Comment

Thanks, that explains it!!!

You're right, but school time for me was over 10 years ago, so now it's too late to pay attention.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X