No announcement yet.

I miss Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get sad every time I think about Stargate. I very much grew up with it, from 8 to 21. It was a constant through my childhood and formative years and I miss it. It's probably the show that has had the biggest influence on me.

I've loved every iteration of the show. And whilst I still have the books (which I've brought from #2) it's just not the same. I'm glad to hear the films are coming but they're so far away.

Hopefully Sci-Fi might be interested in a new series now they've changed their attitude.

Originally posted by SGAWACKO View Post
    I forgot to add but I also miss Stargate:Resistance the game a lot! Sadly it didn't last long,but it had a great community,fun it was great to have a Stargate game. I still hold out hope that one day there will be a game. I'd love to go on my own SG adventures.
    I miss SGR too. It's a shame all the SG games have died. I was watching footage of Alliance the other game and got a gamer pang.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

it changed my life in many ways
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

It has been i while since i posted on here but currently feeling nostalgic about Stargate, Sg1 will always hold a special place in my memories. It is such an under appreciated franchise and i still wish we could see another Stargate show( i am not counting that mini prequel show they are making online).

SG1,SGA,SGU were all special to their fans in some way and in hindsight i think the biggest regret is how the fandom became so divided during the Atlantis cancellation and SGU debut. I believe the best way to have prevented the bad blood would have been to give the SGA fans a miniseries or a shortened final 6th season to run alongside SGU. Another idea could have been to emulate what Star Trek Deep space nine did which was run with another more traditional Trek show(TNG,VOY) during it's entire seven years, so that the fans who did not like the changes in DS9 still had a more old school entry in the franchise. Obviously this would have helped with those that did not enjoy the changes in SGU, so basically a 4th more old school Stargate could have aired with SGU to please most of the fandom.
        sigpic
        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

I know the feeling.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of something Stargate related in one way or another.

Often when there's a crap-day at the office (of which there are way too many unfortunately), my thoughts drift to Stargate.

I'm often relistening the audio-interviews with the cast from gateworld at work or during my commute. Think I can recite those in my sleep by now.

Actually Stargate for me ended around the time I graduated from university. Had seen all of SG1 but none of the movies and not the last 2 seasons of SGA.

Had never seen SGU, still haven't seen it and don't plan on it either. From what I read of it, doesn't really appeal to me.

Around the beginning of this year I saw all the dvd-boxes of SG1 and SGA for about 10 € per box in a store.

I thought: holly sh*t, gotta jump on this. Bought them and even convinced my wife to watch along, although she doesn't like scifi at all.

And guess what: she absolutely loved it! We binge-watched all of SG1, SGA and all the movies in a few months time, just one after the other.

So have only seen the movies of SG1 and the last 2 seasons of SGA this year, although SGA was and still is my favorite.

We also rewatched all the star trek series recently. In the past I liked star trek way more but now I was constantly thinking: "how did I ever like this more than Stargate?" Or "wtf? How unrealistic is that? They would have tackled this far better in Stargate!"

Sometimes, when I'm alone at home, I still pop in the random dvd to keep me company or as background noise while I'm working on something.

Think Stargate is something I'll be carrying with me all my life.

Comment

Yeah, I know it ("that feeling"), too

I miss science fiction on television in general, because the last years haven't been all that kind to us science fiction fans! Mostly boring shows or good shows that were cancelled after one season (like: "The Tomorrow People" or that one show about the Cop and his Robot-Policeman-Sidekick...damned, most of the good shows these days get cancelled because too many people aren't into quality science fiction and would rather watch stuff like "Two and a Half-Men" or "Big Bang Theory"...or worse: Reality TV )

I do miss Stargate the most however because it had a mix of things I enjoy:

- Aliens
            - Space Ships (without the focus being one ship or station like in Star Trek or Babylon 5 (as much as I love that show!))
            - Fights against oppressive enemies
            - mythology (gods being aliens!)
            - politics (I loved to hate the NID, the Trust and the IOA...hell, I had a love/hate relationship with the character of Wolsey! Not to mention the other human governments, the Russians and the Chinese...for a science fiction nerd like me having hundreds of governments on a single planet is RETARDED! Unite Humanity at once and stop this foolishness! Hell, even more radical: Evacuate the human population of the United States and other progressiv/modern nations via the Stargate and leave those ****ing terrorists etc. behind on Earth to fight it out )

So yeah, I miss Stargate (hell, they ended SGA when it was really getting interesting and started SGU, which I hated - at least the first season, the second one wasn't that bad...damned guys WHY? Why stop SGA? It was getting good ratings as far as I remember!)

Hell, I am not remotely interested in "Stargate: Origins" - why? Because that story has been told! We know where the stargate came from, how it got there etc.

Not to mention that prequels are almost always a bad thing because they are so limited (can't go wild with the story because a lot of things simply can't happen because they'd ruin canon!)!

BRING BACK SGA - OR: MAKE A NEW SHOW! One that happens after SGA/SG-1 with a new team, a lot of Asgard/Ancient technology etc. (hell, maybe make the first season about disclosure of the Stargate-Programm!)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
              ...rather watch stuff like "Two and a Half-Men" or "Big Bang Theory"...
              You are seriously putting BBT in the same sentence as TAAHM?!?

The first is epic, the second... well, that's funny for what it is.

Also, "stuff" like the above two is much cheaper to make than scifi shows, and whether you like it or not if there's no guaranteed revenue shows will simply not get made or get cancelled when the money is no longer worth it.

If they make a good show that captivates people, then the audience will be there to watch it.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I miss Stargate : Worlds. I know it wasn't a prefect game and it was cancelled before we could get used to it, but the artwork is so amazing. There are so many cool concept arts about new Jaffa Guards, new Asgard techs and new exciting planets. Honestly some pictures are much more convincing than Stargate : Origins.

http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Images

For example:

Nox Homeworld :
                http://stargateworldsmmo.wikia.com/w...homeplanet.png
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Yeah, I know it ("that feeling"), too

I miss science fiction on television in general, because the last years haven't been all that kind to us science fiction fans!
                  I feel the same way LAX. There are days i just feel melancholy over the loss of some of my favorite shows over the decades.. BUT i at least have all the seasons on DVD to console myself

Comment

Originally posted by BlowitUpistus View Post
                    I feel the same way LAX. There are days i just feel melancholy over the loss of some of my favorite shows over the decades.. BUT i at least have all the seasons on DVD to console myself
                    I sometimes envision people sitting in their sofas, surrounded by their DVD sets and reminiscing on old times.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      I sometimes envision people sitting in their sofas, surrounded by their DVD sets and reminiscing on old times.
                      I do that - sometimes alone (just remembering stuff and re-watching certain episodes) and sometimes with friends!

As for "science fiction costs more to make" - yeah it does, but it also has a geek fan-base who will watch if it's any good while other shows don't have a pre-defined fanbase that is ready to watch!

Yeah, I did mentiont "Two and a Half Men" in the same sentence as "Big Bang Theory" because I simply don't like either (the first is just stupid and the second is just too geeky even for me, I mean I had to watch that sometimes and the thought processes of those characters? Damned, who uses sound that shatters a window to get rid of a bird instead of getting a broom and opening said window (at least if banging on the window doesn't get rid of the bird already)?)

greetings LAX

Comment

...Damned, who uses sound that shatters a window to get rid of a bird instead of getting a broom and opening said window (at least if banging on the window doesn't get rid of the bird already)?)
                        Err... when one's brain works in different ways, one does things slightly different than the average human.

I can attest to that -- nothing so extreme as that though.

Comment

Been watching since... I don't know... 2000? I just remember that my first episode was "The Serpent's Lair". But since I live in the Low Countries, I don't remember exactly how the series was broadcast in relation to the US/Canada. It wasn't until I bought the first season on DVD that I realized I only missed the first season, because since "The Serpent's Lair" I've never missed an episode. Always around 18:00 until 20:30, two episodes at a time, eventually even Monday to Thursday and on Saturday.

That same channel is now continuously broadcasting the same **** over and over again. Why can't they broadcast Stargate again? We don't even have Syfy here anymore (though I still didn't want to pay for the whole TV channel pack just to get Syfy). Now there's absolutely no Stargate on TV anymore (unless you count the constant reruns of the early Big Bang episodes, including the one where Sheldon makes an awkward reference to an episode that has no relation to what they're doing).

Still, I've got everything on DVD (and Atlantis on both DVD and Blu-ray). Actually, I don't really mind no more episodes. Ten seasons for SG-1 is quite a lot. Five seasons for Atlantis is quite small, and I did wish they would close it off with at least that one film. SGU, well, it just didn't appeal to me (and I only have the first season on DVD).

There are only two things I really want to see: all three series and all films on Blu-ray (preferably remastered like Star Trek of course) so they can survive the times, because I especially feel that the visual effects of the older seasons don't age well compared to the later seasons and Atlantis/Universe (that and the grain). My Blu-ray player does a good job of up-scaling, but the grain is just annoying. And the second thing is a proper PC/Console video game (and not an MMO because, as a game designer, I feel the scope of the game doesn't fit with Stargate, especially considering the game was set before Atlantis was found). So more like Mass Effect (because I became a fan of ME simply because of its similarities to Stargate). It's a lot to ask, but that's simply what I feel. I wouldn't mind a proper ending for SGU either, just to wrap things up.

But, I think Origins renders all this moot. I just have this bad feeling that MGM no longer gives a crap about the past twenty years and just wants to milk as much money out of this as possible. If I didn't know better, I would say the Goa'uld have taken it over.

Comment

No more stargate over here either, south of the Lowlands, that is.

Comment

Stargate is still so popular (and cheap probably) in Hungary that they air two episodes between 6PM-8PM.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Some Stargate still airs in the area I'm from on two different channels. SGA is currently on Comet TV and SG1 has also been on the channel but not currently. El Rey also airs both SG1 and SGA after Quantum Leap, every Monday through Friday and then Stargate reruns latter in the middle of the night.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Working...
                                X