I miss Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss Stargate

For the first time tonight I actually had tears in my eyes when reading through some of the threads on here. It just goes to show how much of an effect Stargate has had on some peoples lives. Having no new Stargate in my life has left such a huge hole in my heart. It feels like breaking up with a partner.

I feel kind of feel silly saying I got so emotional. Especially being a 24 year old male.

How emotional have you gotten when it comes to missing Stargate?
    sigpic

G day mate.

Im kind of a bit sad its over as in no more series.
    Hard to believe its six yrs since the series finished.

But its currently on tv over here at the moment so ive having a great time.

I guess its just a show you really loved hence you being so emotional.
    I guess you felt very sad when the final episode finished.

But yes i can understand you feeling that way.

I bet when you first started watching it you never thought you would have never expected it tohave such a bigimpact on you mate.

Comment

I know how you feel I grew up with stargate I'm now 19 and started watching it in 1999, it's hard to see it gone and make me sad when I think about it but then I also think about how I need to grow up because it's just a tv show, it feels like some one has died but it shouldn't since it's just a show so I just move on with life lol

Comment

I miss Stargate too I didn't discover it until 2006 but it's my favorite scifi franchise
        sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Having now started a Babylon 5 Rewatch and thinking about the impact both those shows had on me I guess the bottom line is this.

B5 for me is very much a show that has me flashing back to my early teenage years, it was the first scifi show I really got into but not thaty much changed during the time I was watching it(OK, in the summer of 1994 I finished primary school, then moved from Aberdeenshire to the suburbs of south west London, then started secondary school but I hadn't started watching B5 at that time). My personality has evolved a lot since the late 90s but during that period of time life and the world seemed that much more straightforward.

As for Stargate...well even SG1...well it started in mid-to-late '97(though I didn't start watching till '99) and I watched "Unending with a bunch of Gateworlders in March 2007. During that time alone I finished my GCSE's, did A Levels, did five years at Uni, moved to Exeter and started my involvement with Aspergers groups. I'm not even going to go into the stuff that the world as a whole went through in that time!

Fastforward four more years to 2011 and a lot more stuff happened, and yet Stargate was still a positive constant in my life for that time. And now it's gone.

I look back over the last 15-20 years and the only positive constant in my life over that period of time are the sporting schedules and even they may not be bulletproof(though that's another topic). I move cities, I go through school and Uni to independent living, family gets older and in some cases die, new friends are made, old friends I lose contact with...previously unimaginable things happen on the world stage, new expectations are placed on me...and you can't help but wonder "how the hell did I/we get here?".
          Last edited by Matt G; 22 June 2013, 08:57 AM.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

At the moment here in the UK it's being repeated on a couple of the digital channels.
            Namely Sky 1 and PickTV.

And I also have the episodes on video and DVD. So I don't really miss it.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Stargate was, to me, the successor to The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, in terms of what it meant to me and how much I enjoyed it. This is especially true of SG1, which was a lot smarter than it's given credit for. I miss regular, new Stargate. I particularly think SGU had the chance to be so much more.
              To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
              http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
              http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                For the first time tonight I actually had tears in my eyes when reading through some of the threads on here. It just goes to show how much of an effect Stargate has had on some peoples lives. Having no new Stargate in my life has left such a huge hole in my heart. It feels like breaking up with a partner.

I feel kind of feel silly saying I got so emotional. Especially being a 24 year old male.

How emotional have you gotten when it comes to missing Stargate?
                Totally understand! When I really think about it I'm amazed how much Stargate is a part of my life in some way. It kept me sane whenever things got bad, it was a wonderful escape when I needed time out from RL. When Stargate SG-1 was first airing on TV in another life it feels sometimes, my family knew not to disturb me, it was the only time I got to myself in the days when the kids were young, the mortgage was huge and working seemed to take up all the available hours in the day!

Stargate was a wonderful constant in a changing life, the change in SG-1 with season 9 coincided with a huge change in my life when we moved to Vancouver from the UK. It was a time when I felt Stargate would go on forever, with the added joy of being able to attend the Stargate conventions and see the sets and locations. I would have never been able to afford to do that if I still lived in the UK.

I do miss it, the way SGU was left with so much promise of more good stuff to come it just made it worse. I also have the problem of trying to shut out being reminded of how I miss Stargate sometimes as I walk to work every day down the street an SGU episode was filmed. There are days I walk down there and get all mushy wishing SGU was still on!

At least there is still GW where I can come and admit how much I miss and think about this great show, it's good therapy!

Comment

For me, it's still very much alive in my mind because I'm involved in writing fan fiction. So I think about Stargate every day, and still play in a universe in which the story isn't over.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                  sigpic
                  now also appearing on DeviantArt
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

I use to feel a bid down when I would rewatch the show (My pattern is like every 2-3 years now). I try now to watch new shows especially sci-fi. I do wish we can return to this Stargate Universe on the small screen but who knows.
                    Don't want to spoil the book I read it from but one of my favorite books as a kid the message at the end was perfect for any novel/tv/movie and story telling it doesn't spoil the plot of the series so I will quote it.
                    "And so my children the time has come to close the book. There will be other days and other stories but this tale is finished" I tend to think of this when a series, Stargate Franchise, Fringe, BattleStar etc. ends. Loved the journey I was on, but I am also looking for more. We can always return to the various series we all grew to love.
                    sigpic

Favorite quote:
                    McKay: You shot me!
                    Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                    Ronon: You shot me, too.
                    Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

As I rewatch the franchise I've caught myself thinking more than once... "Damn, SG1 was such a great show - shame it's no more." ... so yeah, I guess you could say I kinda miss it.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Going back and rewatching all 3 shows does offer a small amount of relief. But it also serves as a reminder that Stargate is over. No more new eps.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                          Going back and rewatching all 3 shows does offer a small amount of relief. But it also serves as a reminder that Stargate is over. No more new eps.
                          Being able to re-watch all of the Stargate franchise does make things easier, but it does still hurt a little knowing there are no new episodes coming. Stargate has meant so much to me over the years. All we can do is hope that someday someone who loves this franchise as we do revives it in one form or another.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I feel the exact same I miss the show so much. I still do google searches now and then for stargate to see if there is any glimmer of hope for a new show or DVD movie. Hopefully MGM will invest in the franchise once again.

Comment

I have felt a void ever since SGA was canceled. I haven't done a rewatch in a while, but I sure do miss knowing there are new episodes on the horizon. I don't even enjoy other sci-fi shows much anymore and I used to be a huge genre fan, although I wasn't really involved in the fandoms. The cancellation was such a bad experience it left a bad taste for television in general, with Grimm being the only other genre show I've even followed since then. Now I mainly follow the actor's careers and hope they get new projects.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X