No announcement yet.

Is Defiance a major flop for Syfy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have missed the point. Books etc, may add to the story AFTER THE FACT if viewers are inclined to pursue them. JM's blog is an excellent example. There is nothing in his blog, nor has there ever been, that is necessary to the enjoyment of the show. More that 99% of viewers have never read it, nor even heard of it.

Using one's brain has nothing to do with it. There are many thought-provoking shows that require a great deal of brain usage. Take Doctor Who for example. You have to watch very closely and make connections - somewhat like Easter eggs - to upcoming stories. You do not, however, have to go anywhere else BUT the show for the information.

Several times folks here have pointed out that it is not the idea of a transmedia program that is problematic. It is the concept that the casual viewer is not going to enjoy the show and will therefore tune out. This is not good for SciFi as a network. You apparently think that if someone disagrees with you that they are complaining. Please learn the difference between honest critique and complaining, <Snipped by Moderator>
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 27 June 2013, 08:47 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by medegno51 View Post
      I will also give Defiance a chance, as well. I am not absolutely 'wowed' by it so far this season, but it does just enough to be keep intrigued as to where the plotlines could be heading-- especially after revealing a very dark past between Nikky and her 'daughter', the lady doctor.
      Where did you get the idea that Doc Yewll is Nikky's daughter? If anything the SGU-guest star episode would put it more likely that it was the Doc who 'created' Nikky.

Anyways, I'm not minding Defiance and for all the numbers games going on here, I would also point out that at this same slot are alot of other shows that do not repeat their line-up the way Syfy does. After Warehouse airs, Defiance repeats itself right after at 11 pm. Some people, like me, who have other shows they like and do not have tivo or anything like that, watch the non-repeating shows then tune into the repeat of Defiance. Where are those numbers?

As for poorly made or poorly written, there have also been alot of things said by Stargate fans on Gateworld about the quality of writing and production towards the end of both SG1 and SGA, let alone the movies. I actually like Defiance. I do agree that no one is really likeable. I think Amanda's prejudicial against Votan (although she tries to cover it up), Nolan as soon as either of the women he's either screwing or wants to screw (Kenya or Amanda) are suspected of anything forgets completely that he's supposed to uphold the law and instead covers his booty-call's butt, leaving Tommy to be the only one who's actually doing any lawkeeping. I liked Sukar, but he got nixed. And, yes, the Romeo and Juliet (I mean Alak and Christie) thing could jump off a cliff and I wouldn't care. However, the same flaws can be said of all sci-fi shows; some things you like and some you don't. Personally Nolan could be less the macho bullying dude and be more non-cliche, but I'm not one of the writers.

I think what the S1 problem here is is establishing everything about the world of Defiance. Now that might be done with the help of the game, but not everyone has a gaming system to play the game let alone the want or will or finances to buy it and play the way it's supposed to be played thus the info. does have to be included in the show. And there is a lot of ground work to lay down. I'm hopeful for S2 (another thirteen episodes) so that we can see less explaining everything in these really simple ways because a bunch of storylines are interlaced together and get more to the good stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.UrsulaKenmore View Post
        Anyways, I'm not minding Defiance and for all the numbers games going on here, I would also point out that at this same slot are alot of other shows that do not repeat their line-up the way Syfy does. After Warehouse airs, Defiance repeats itself right after at 11 pm. Some people, like me, who have other shows they like and do not have tivo or anything like that, watch the non-repeating shows then tune into the repeat of Defiance. Where are those numbers?
        Everyone is pretty much using the numbers from "TVbytheNumbers", which only show the top 100 shows, the repeat of defiance does not rate in that anymore. It did for the first few episodes however. The lowest one I saw (for this week) was .755 for "real housewives" so somewhere under there are the numbers for the Defiance replay. Personally I would be curious about the L+7 numbers, but I dunno if anyone on here has access to that info.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

[QUOTE=Lt.UrsulaKenmore;13868167]Where did you get the idea that Doc Yewll is Nikky's daughter? QUOTE]

==slaps head== Re-watched "If I ever Leave..." again last night WITH the CC *on* this time. Nikky said "Doctor" instead of 'daughter'...

Thanks for the correction!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.UrsulaKenmore View Post
            Here's the 11pm numbers that were published on TVByTheNumbers :
            Date.......11PM Total...A18-49
            ...........Viewers
            15-Apr-13..1,274,000....0.4
            22-Apr-13
            29-Apr-13..1,069,000....0.4
            06-May-13....920,000....0.3

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Everyone is pretty much using the numbers from "TVbytheNumbers", which only show the top 100 shows, the repeat of defiance does not rate in that anymore. It did for the first few episodes however. The lowest one I saw (for this week) was .755 for "real housewives" so somewhere under there are the numbers for the Defiance replay. Personally I would be curious about the L+7 numbers, but I dunno if anyone on here has access to that info.
            ... oh Briangate!!!
            -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
              ... oh Briangate!!!
              Brian does not comment on this stuff anymore
              sigpic

Comment

Brian does not comment on this stuff anymore
                bugger
                -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                  bugger
                  There.............was............another..........

A lass, I cannot remember her name offhand, but she gave us L+7 numbers back in the SGU debate days. Unfortunately, she seems to have left as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

There.............was............another..........

A lass, I cannot remember her name offhand, but she gave us L+7 numbers back in the SGU debate days. Unfortunately, she seems to have left as well.
                    Yeah MediaSavant, she hasn't been around the forum for ages.

It's a lot tougher to get ratings data since Nielsen put the screws to reporters about copyright.
                    -

Comment

The normal ratings that tvbythenumbers posts are live+same day. So they are including the 11 pm showing.

Comment

You know who else was good with ratings? Morjana. Whatever happened to Morjana?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
                          The normal ratings that tvbythenumbers posts are live+same day. So they are including the 11 pm showing.
                          No. Its the Live 9 PM showing and everyone who DVR that timeslot to about 3 AM. I think its 3 AM but I'm not 100% sure on the cutoff for DVR for SD
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            You know who else was good with ratings? Morjana. Whatever happened to Morjana?
                            I remember she stopped coming around less and less because of health reasons. I know she was quite old. I don't know if she stopped coming of those health reasons or she just got tired of GW
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              No. Its the Live 9 PM showing and everyone who DVR that timeslot to about 3 AM. I think its 3 AM but I'm not 100% sure on the cutoff for DVR for SD
                              Yep, that's right, 3am is the cutoff.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by techs View Post
                                Sigh............
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X