No announcement yet.

Is Defiance a major flop for Syfy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im willing to stay with defiance for now can see how folks are making the b5 connection the problem I can see is that JMS had a pre planned direction to take B5.

I have a sense there are many cooks on this show pulling in different directions

Comment

to be honest I can't see the show getting more than 3-4 seasons. I am sticking with it for now.
      sigpic

Favorite quote:
      McKay: You shot me!
      Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
      Ronon: You shot me, too.
      Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Just so we keep them here
        Ratings for Defiance S1 Ep 12: 1.936 / 0.6

Guess that blows a bit of a hole in the SGU/Defiance comparisons.............
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I'm a huge B5 and Farscape fan. I honestly don't see Defiance being very similar to B5 other than it taking place in one static location and being of strategic interest to other parties. In season one of B5 we had interesting storylines introduced regarding the Psi-corp, minbari castes and their tampering with Sinclair, the Narn/Centauri war and the Shadows. There's nothing interesting going on with the mythology of Defiance.

I'd say quality-wise that Defiance is a step below SGU but a step above the low budget tripe like Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary.

The cast of Defiance is fine. Being stuck in one place really hurts this series in my opinion. They mysteries are too small and uninteresting. It's still watchable for me, which is more than I could say after half a season of shows like Revolution or V.

I don't really follow the game, but I doubt it's as game changing as they made it sound. I remember the claim that things that happen in the game can affect the show. There's no way that player actions can affect the show though, so they probably put hints for future episodes into storylines of the game.
          Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

WEll since American ninja warrior is on at the same time this is, i will be giving the rest of the series a pass

Comment

i bought the game off steam the other day the price was reduced for one day while the steam sale is on. im enjoying the game very much.

Comment

I heard elsewhere, that the show (now over for S1) is on hyatus till APRIL next year? 10 months of waiting? Can that be right.

Comment

No. Its June of next year
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    I heard elsewhere, that the show (now over for S1) is on hyatus till APRIL next year? 10 months of waiting? Can that be right.
                    Its June. They have to do this really annoying filming and editing thing.

Season 1 took 10 months to film and edit and seeing as they have not started on season 2 yet the timeline is right on track.

Comment

10 months for filming what 10 eps?? Holy cow.

Comment

maybe they're trying to build a season two themed game too?
                        sigpic

Comment

They are starting on filming/prepping right now actually.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            maybe they're trying to build a season two themed game too?
                            It would just be an expansion to the current game, I wonder if the hiatus is too long for the gaming aspect however as "upgrade patches" for games like this tend to come out every 2 months or so...........
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              10 months for filming what 10 eps?? Holy cow.
                              Seems like American and British season lengths are moving toward each other. British series that (in past years) might have aired 3 or 4 episodes per year, are increasingly offering up to 13 episodes at a time. American series are increasingly abandoning the 22-episode season, instead offering 15, 13, 12, 10, or even just 8 episodes at a time. It's okay to completely forget about a show for a year. If it's a show with re-watch value, then rent/stream it soon before the next season commences. If not, well, the show itself usually does a fair job of refreshing your memory with those clips that begin with a voice saying, "Previously..."

Comment

The promotion of Defiance by SyFy was definitely interesting. I can't recall when a cable network used the cost of the program as a talking point when they described a show. Seriously, ask 100 people to name the first thing that comes to their mind when thinking of Defiance and I'll bet 100 million comes out of a lot of those peoples mouth. OK, perhaps that's just a poor example. But really, I've always been taught that it's in bad form to talk about how much things cost. Of course when the money spent is the most noteworthy event of the program, I guess it's going to get the headlines.

One things for sure, I don't think they got their monies worth. Defiance has tried to be all things to all SciFi fans. They have tried to appeal to all forms of the genre and in the end left everyone confused. There was little doubt that it would be recommissioned. After all, anything that cost that much money is going to get more than 1 series to try and get it right.

I watch Defiance along with many other sci-fi. Biggest reason? I think bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi at all. I actually was starting to enjoy where the show was going until the finale. I mean, when a show starts to get a little momentum going, finally gets the audience to become invested a bit in the characters, why in the world would they approve a script like that? Oh well.

I will be curious to see how they handle S2. As with SGU, the free passes are gone. 100 million or not, they won't allow the red ink to pile up much longer. This one will either be a great save, or a slow dive into obscurity. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Working...
                                X