Matt G's B5 Rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt G's B5 Rewatch

OK...inspired by the Gateworld Stargate Rewatch I decided to revisit the first scifi show I really got into.

My first experience of Babylon 5 was some point in the mid-90s when I decided to order up this novel("Voices") seemingly based on this scifi show that I had never heard of before from a secondary school book catologue. A few months later and Channel 4 were airing a new season of this show so I check it out and...the rest is history.

Circa '97 I see the original pilot ep of this show is being rerun. Think I was on holiday in Cornwall at the time but I decide to check it out!

1. How much of a bleep was G'Kar in this ep?

2. Pretty sure I didn't see the scene with Ben operating on Kosh before...

3. Was coffee seriously that hard to get hold of?

4. So many things came up that had yet to be fully developed at this point. What it would have been like watching it for the first time back in '93 I don't know!
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

I was in the hospital a few weekends ago and watched the first two seasons. I'm planning on watching the rest over the summer. I've always loved this show.

As for coffee - 100% luxury good - non-essential, therefore very low priority for shipping from Earth. Now, for some of us like Ivanova, it is totally essential.
    sigpic

Comment

This show is still on my list... maybe after my Whedon Re-Watch...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        I was in the hospital a few weekends ago and watched the first two seasons. I'm planning on watching the rest over the summer. I've always loved this show.

As for coffee - 100% luxury good - non-essential, therefore very low priority for shipping from Earth. Now, for some of us like Ivanova, it is totally essential.
        But you see coffee being served in the restaurants in the later seasons.

The one line that clicked for me in this ep in a way it probably didn't as a kid/teen was "you make very good sharks Mr Garribaldi". A sentiment about humanity that a lot of 2013 humans would probably agree with.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

but do you *know* that it is genuine coffee? It would be much cheaper to ship some form of instant powder, but for a coffee lover, nuh huh.
          sigpic

Comment

Have fun with the show, it's one of my all-time favorites.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              but do you *know* that it is genuine coffee? It would be much cheaper to ship some form of instant powder, but for a coffee lover, nuh huh.

Good question. Pretty sure the people that run those restaurants wouldn't want to be serving instant though!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

well, if that's all they could get...
                sigpic

Comment

I look at it like this, how much did the restaurants charge for the coffee? Plus, The station was always evolving. Maybe more land was eventually set aside for luxury items as things changed. More than likely they meant it was instant.

Comment

Now...S1...1994 was the year I finished primary school in Aberdeenshire then moved to the burbs of southwest London that summer and started secondary school. I still hadn't even heard of B5 at that point.

At some point while I was watching S3 on Sunday evenings a couple of years later, Channel 4 were rerunning S1 eps midweek. So I started checking those out. Never caught the very first few eps though...so..."Midnight on the Firing Line"

1. The main object of this Rewatch is to see how well the show has withstood the test of time. So far, so good, FX aren't that bad certainly.

2. Biggest thing that dated this ep was the lack of reference to 9/11 in the list of "sneak attacks".

3. The Narns being the dodgy geezers of the galaxy takes a bit of getting used to.

4. The Raiders...ah yeah...the main bad guys of these early eps. Relatively small time but...

5. Duck Dodgers! That takes me way too far back!
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Good point about 9/11. I loved the contrast in how the Narns were portrayed early on and later...

And in one of the later seasons when the Homeguard steps in to the picture I get a really creepy prescient feeling when the HG guy says "If you're not with us, you're against us".
                      sigpic

Comment

As far as in-universe continuity is concerned though, you had to laugh at this line from Ivonova "A good leader should have a strong chin. Santiago has no chin. His running mate has several. This is a bad combination".
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Absolutely.
                          sigpic

Comment

1. I'm sure I should know the first Soul Hunter actor from somewhere.

2. Ah, Franklin shows up for the first time, seems he and Sinclair have history.

3. It's crazy, in the later season I knew Delenn was Grey Council and didn't bat an eyelid. Now everyone's making a big deal of it!

Slight step down from the last ep.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Well, there's only 9 members in total. William Morgan Sheppard's appeared as a minor character in lots of shows and movies.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X