Star Wars: Battlefront (DICE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Battlefront (DICE)

Posted in the EA thread the other day, might as well start a new one...

Yesterday, at E3, EA announced that DICE is working on a new "Star Wars: Battlefront" with a teaser video. Not much to show yet, but here's the video that premiered to thunderous applause:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Star Wars: Battlefront is "DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be"

Star Wars: Battlefront, the new Star Wars game announced during EA's E3 press conference earlier this week, is developer DICE's "interpretation" of what the much-loved multiplayer-focused series should be.

That's according to EA Games Label boss Patrick Söderlund, who greenlit the project.

Little is known about the game, save it's in the early stages of development, is built using the Frostbite 3 game engine and will be released for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. A brief, seconds-long clip showed a snowy scene - the surface of Hoth, on which an Empire Strikes Back-era Snowspeeder suddenly crashes.

The announcement followed EA's deal with Star Wars IP holder Disney and the closure of LucasArts.

"This is DICE's interpretation of what Battlefront should be," Söderlund told Eurogamer. "That's the best description you can have. There are absolutely things in the previous Battlefront games that you'll recognise and remember, but DICE wants to put its own flavour on it. That's the only way we can do it. Hence it's called Star Wars: Battlefront, without a 3 at the end. We want to say it's something new.

"But again, it's going to be very Star Wars and very cool."

Söderlund declined to go into more detail on Battlefront's gameplay, saying: "It's very early days."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

About a frigging time I say. Loved 2 first Battlefronts and propably will love the third one, even though EA is publisher. (Still don't have anything against EA, but still doesn't like how they release games which aren't fully finished)

Comment

Just hoping its good. Optimistic but a bit skeptical.
        sigpic

Favorite quote:
        McKay: You shot me!
        Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
        Ronon: You shot me, too.
        Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

FWIW, it's being made by DICE (the company that makes the Battlefield games) and is being built in Frostbite3, the next-gen version of the engine that currently powers Battlefield 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            FWIW, it's being made by DICE (the company that makes the Battlefield games) and is being built in Frostbite3, the next-gen version of the engine that currently powers Battlefield 3.
            Which means it should looks amazing and be massive.

Comment

EA Executive: DICE 'Begged' To Do New Battlefront Game

In an interview over at ComputerAndVideoGames.com, EA Games executive vice president Patrick Söderlund described how EA's DICE studio asked for the opportunity to develop a new Battlefront game as part of EA's exclusive multi-year Star Wars deal with Disney. According to Söderlund, DICE was adamant about developing the game, which was a surprise coming from a studio with a history of preferring original properties like Battlefield.

Here's the Star Wars part of CVG's interview with Söderlund:

So one of your big surprises was DICE working on the new Star Wars: Battlefront. As you said, that's pretty much a match made in heaven for fans... but those sorts of dream collaborations don't happen often.

I'm glad you say that because it was almost not happening. It was just something as boring as resources and availability. The DICE guys Karl Magnus Troedsson and Patrick Bach were talking and I told them we were in dialogues with Disney over this deal and they just looked at me and said, "Why haven't you spoken to us? What are you doing? We want to make Battlefront."

DICE is a very particular place and they are very proud of what they do and you don't really tell them what to do. I didn't anticipate them wanting to work on a license - they've always been new IP or their own IP. But they were just like, 'we would kill to make this game' and the whole studio started talking about it like, 'please give us this game'.

That's when I called Frank [Gibeau, EA Labels boss] and I realised we had something here. 'If they want it that badly, then the game will be freaking awesome - we have to figure it out'. So we figured it out, we got them the game and it was that simple. They begged to do it, the opportunity was there and that's exactly why you'll see a game that will be what it needs to be.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...ame_152770.asp

Comment

EA exec: Battlefront "will most likely come out around the same time that the Star Wars movies start to come out, probably in the summer of '15."

Comment

2015 is going to be a great time to be a fan!

Comment

Working...
                  X