Stargate Convention vs Star Trek Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Convention vs Star Trek Convention

Hello, my son and I went to our first convention this weekend, Star Trek Boston. We had a great time and as he has been asking to go to the Stargate convention, I was wondering how they compare? I found the costume contest, as fun as it was, to be pretty drawn out and the vendor area was pretty small. Again, I wasn't really sure what to expect so my expectations may have been too high. Any thoughts would be appreciated! It's hard to justify flying to Chicago for us, but his 13th birthday is pretty soon and that sounds like a good a reason as any!

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
    Hello, my son and I went to our first convention this weekend, Star Trek Boston. We had a great time and as he has been asking to go to the Stargate convention, I was wondering how they compare? I found the costume contest, as fun as it was, to be pretty drawn out and the vendor area was pretty small. Again, I wasn't really sure what to expect so my expectations may have been too high. Any thoughts would be appreciated! It's hard to justify flying to Chicago for us, but his 13th birthday is pretty soon and that sounds like a good a reason as any!
    Well.....

I should start by saying I personally haven't been to the Chicago con yet...this August will be the first. I HAVE however been to the last 4 Vancouver Stargate Conventions, and from how you described the Star Trek one, you can pretty much expect more or less the same experience. From my understanding, most Creation conventions are fairly standard.

I will say this, the costume contest I have seen seem less elaborate that the Star Trek one are, but over all the conventions are quite fun. The actors are all great lovely people.

As for vendors, at the Canada conventions there have always been problems getting the good vendors to make the trip across the border (damn customs) so I imagine it will be better in Chicago but like I said I don't have any direct experience on that just yet!
    sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
    Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
    GateCon Vancouver 2011
    Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Don't expect much more in the vendor room than what you saw in Vancouver. Creation does not have alot in the way of vendor rooms anymore. It all has to be their stuff so it's shirts, coats, books DVD's collectibles, pictures for autographs..stuff like that. Once in awhile they let another vendor in, if there are licensing issues and fans really want it otherwise it's Creation vendors only so it's pretty small.

I've been to the Chicago convention multiple times. It's a great convention. Lots of fun fans and great guests. If your son wants to go, I'd recommend it.

There is a difference in the Stargate versus Star Trek fan base so you might notice that difference. It doesn't change the fun or the activities. Stargate also tends to have a much higher female fanbase at the conventions, every now and then you will hear the actors joking about it!
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
        Don't expect much more in the vendor room than what you saw in Vancouver. Creation does not have alot in the way of vendor rooms anymore. It all has to be their stuff so it's shirts, coats, books DVD's collectibles, pictures for autographs..stuff like that. Once in awhile they let another vendor in, if there are licensing issues and fans really want it otherwise it's Creation vendors only so it's pretty small.
        Thanks for the info Rosehawk. I expected much of the same but its helpful to have that confirmed. Saves the wallet anyways I guess. Its gonna be a pricey trip as it is coming from Vangroovy!!

There is a difference in the Stargate versus Star Trek fan base so you might notice that difference. It doesn't change the fun or the activities. Stargate also tends to have a much higher female fanbase at the conventions, every now and then you will hear the actors joking about it!
        HAHAHA! Thats a really good point. We ladies do tend to bring a different vibe to the fanbase! I hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it.
        sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
        Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
        GateCon Vancouver 2011
        Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

Just got my travel package for Chicago! I'm not sure if my son will be more excited, or if I will

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
            Just got my travel package for Chicago! I'm not sure if my son will be more excited, or if I will
            You'll have to give us a full report when you come back! =D
            "I'm afraid the only bandaids we have are Ninja Turtles...that's the last time I let Colonel Sheppard help me with my medical supply list!!"

--Dr. Beckett "Real Life Atlantis" Fanfic

Comment

Working...
            X