Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I have realized my main problem with this show...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I have realized my main problem with this show...

The show is a bit hit and miss with me right now. I'm staying with it cause I know it has a great deal of potential, and I will stick with it until it completely loses me. But there's one nagging thing that is quite distracting.

I find the filming style to be too...bright. So bright and lit up that I can see all the flaws easily, and the style makes it look cheap to me. I know it isn't a big problem, it's just something that I find distracting.

Anyone else notice this as well? Or is it just me?
    sigpic

Yes, having studied photography as a student before working in TV production, I constantly annoy my wife by picking up on bad lighting, continuity and poorly shot scenes.

There was a 10 second scene in the pilot that drove me nuts, had I been in charge I'd have cut the entire scene it was so poorly done, would have been embarrassed to put that out.

I know one problem of modern productions is scheduling so that if something is wrong, they simply don't have time to go back and fix it, when I started the #1 rule was if you think something will take 2 hours, schedule 4 for it, now it seems they don't do that anymore.

I even see it in places like TV news reports, like when they shoot an interview with the lighting behind the subject, I mean that's photography 101, never shoot into your light source, so if they (tv companies) can't be bothered to setup a simple shoot like that properly, it's no surprise the lazyness leaks through to scripted stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

I know one problem of modern productions is scheduling so that if something is wrong, they simply don't have time to go back and fix it, when I started the #1 rule was if you think something will take 2 hours, schedule 4 for it, now it seems they don't do that anymore.
      I think time permitting and a good production team those things should be fixed in post production. Or the person responsible is told to not do that again.

But I like the show. It's only just started in Australia our last episode was "The Serpent's Egg" and I am loving it. I got excited and bought the season 1 DVDs so now I don't have to wait to watch the rest..
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Coco, Defiance was shown over a year ago here. I dunno if you are only watching FTV TV, but this is NOT a "new show" for anyone with Foxtel.
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          Coco, Defiance was shown over a year ago here. I dunno if you are only watching FTV TV, but this is NOT a "new show" for anyone with Foxtel.
          Well I don't have Foxtel and refuse to get Foxtel on principle..... Plus it's money to Murdoch whom I loathe..............

I'm happy with free to air TV and my new shiny DVDs

Comment

As a retired photojournalist bad lighting bothers me.

If it looks like it is lit it is wrong and yes it was a distraction in Defiance and is annoying in many shows.

4400 was one of the worst for amateur lighting

Another thing that is stupid are space ships with wide walk ways and tall ceilings. Right!

Wulfmann

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfmann View Post
              As a retired photojournalist bad lighting bothers me.

If it looks like it is lit it is wrong and yes it was a distraction in Defiance and is annoying in many shows.

4400 was one of the worst for amateur lighting

Another thing that is stupid are space ships with wide walk ways and tall ceilings. Right!

Wulfmann
              But every scifi show does the wide walkways / halls and high ceilings. It's mostly for aesthetics.

What does get me is the harsh lighting inside the Castithan's home. Why do they need such bright lighting inside their home? It does bug me a bit.

Over use of lens flare annoys me no end, when there is just no need for it.

Comment

Working...
              X