This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who should play the 12th Doctor?

I'm going to be incredibly sad when Matt Smith leaves since I adore him as the Doctor and as a damn fine actor, but I have to admit I am enjoying thinking about who might follow.

Will the Doctor's next incarnation be older or younger? Might he be a different ethnicity? Might he not even be a he?

Any serious suggestions for actual actors who would be a good fit for the role? By serious, I mean try to think of actors the showrunners might audition - anybody who has previously had a significant role in the show is therefore unlikely, as are major Hollywood actors, but other than that all bets are off!
    Last edited by Sealurk; 01 June 2013, 02:50 PM.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

I would prefer a slightly older Doctor, or someone young with a better costume. No fez, bizarre hair, etc.

I'd like to see Damien Molony as the Doctor.
    Last edited by MasySyma; 01 June 2013, 03:31 PM.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

These are my picks for the 12th Doctor. I may think of more when the shock of Matt leaving has worn off a bit.

Damien Molony

Aged 29 - Recently played Hal Yorke in Being Human

Sean Evans

Aged 33 - Recently played Endeavour Morse in Endeavour

Colin Morgan

Aged 27 - Recently played Merlin in Merlin... but... was also in S4 episode Midnight. Mind you that didn't stop Colin Baker.

Oh.. and my daughter says she wants John Bishop.

Comment

I would like see someone who plays the completely different to the past three doctors at least more seriously. And look differently to tennent and smith who at least to me look alike.

I love to Hugh Laurie take on the role. If he not to big for the role.

I don't think that terrorist/traitor in homeland would be good at the role.

There a couple of actor in misfit that would be good such as the one that play the character that can spit into two or the one who could turn invicible .

Comment

I've been racking my brain trying to think who could play him, would a female doctor work? idk about that either if not a women than Rupert Grint, maybe? the doctor would finally be ginger idk if he'd be willing to do television

What about Patrick Stewart? i think he would make an awesome doctor, i've heard rumours that awhile ago they tried to get him into doctor who for an unspecified role (it might have been around the time smith was cast as the doctor i can't remember) so maybe this time they'll get him?

I've heard Benedict Cumberbatch suggested for the role, after seeing into darkness i like the idea, but it would probably mean no more sherlock (which i don't watch yet but planning to)

Tom Hiddleston - I thought he was great as Loki, but i just dunno if he will fit as doctor who

I would like the darker element to return to doctor who, matt smith has dabbled with a bit of darkness, but not as much as christopher eccleston or david tennent,
          Last edited by mr_kennedy; 01 June 2013, 03:43 PM.
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

The actor definitely needs to be British and male. I'm sorry ladies. There are most definitely lots of amazing British female actors out there but I just think the Doctor needs to stay male. Age? Well, maybe someone a bit older than Matt.

Going through names on IMDb I came across these people I thought looked quite "Doctor-ish":

Hugh Laurie (age 53)
            Paddy Considine (age 39)
            Michael Sheen (age 45)
            Mackenzie Crook (age 33)
            James Frain (age 45)
            Jack Davenport (age 40)
            Andrew Lee-Potts (age 34)

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              I would like see someone who plays the completely different to the past three doctors at least more seriously. And look differently to tennent and smith who at least to me look alike.

I love to Hugh Laurie take on the role. If he not to big for the role.

I don't think that terrorist/traitor in homeland would be good at the role.

There a couple of actor in misfit that would be good such as the one that play the character that can spit into two or the one who could turn invicible .
              The one who could split in two was Joseph Gilgun (29)

and the one who could turn invisible was Iwan Rheon (28)

All good ideas everyone.
              Last edited by Blencathra; 01 June 2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                I've heard Benedict Cumberbatch suggested for the role, after seeing into darkness i like the idea, but it would probably mean no more sherlock (which i don't watch yet but planning to)
                Please no, they may as well rename it Doctor Sherlock if that happens.

Don't forget Robert Carlisle was in the running for the role before Matt Smith got it, if they can pry him away from ABC he would probably make a good Dr.

I just want someone older, just so it blows my theory the Doctor ages in reverse, it doesn't seem right someone who is supposed to be 900 years old looking younger than the rest of the cast.

Comment

I like Robert Carlisle in Once upon a time
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

Since I'm Robert Carlisle allergic, I hope not.

I also agree that I hope the Doctor stays a man. Any ethnicity or age is fine really. I would have to trust the writers before being on board for a sex/gender switch, and right now, I don't trust them.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I used to suffer from the same allergy, but his acting in SGU & OUAT has warmed me to him.

Comment

Some great ideas so far! Personally I hope they make the next Doctor a bit older, and I wondered about a couple of possibilities: Stephen Mangan (40) or Richard Ayoade (35)?
                        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Patrick Stewart is always going to be Captain Picard no matter how hard he may try to escape it, so he's out.

Benedict Cumberbatch is too big for this role now. It's a miracle he's still doing Sherlock.

I would love a Robert Carlyle Doctor but I doubt if he has room in his schedule. (Unless they continue doing six episodes a year and Once cuts back to 13?)

Of the suggestions posted here, I like Damien Molony - but I haven't seen him in action.

And I don't want to see a female doctor either. It would just be too weird and jarring, and there wouldn't be enough episodes to get used to it so it would stay jarring and weird.
                          sigpic

Comment

Looking at the pic of Sean Evans, he looks to similar to Tennant for me...
                            Colin Morgan is a good shout as he was excellent in Merlin and currently available

Comment

I sorta want somebody a little older than Matt Smith. I'm a fan of Jack Davenport. Seeing him as the Doctor would be fun. (And that voice.) Maybe not Benedict Cumberbatch, I'm still hoping for a cross-over with Sherlock.

My inner Merlin fangirl wants Eoin Macken as a companion. That would be more fun with Colin Morgan. (The adventures of Merlin and Gwaine through time and space.)
                              Last edited by Morgania; 01 June 2013, 05:59 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                              X