Few questions about the Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions about the Gates

I am relatively new to SG and I'm only known with tech from the Trek universe. Though I like Trek better, it's really a nice and different approach SG had made.

My questions are the following:
    1) Take a random planet with a Gate, and it's dial thingy. Is it possible to take that away, place that on another planet and just go there by dialing the same number? Or are there any restrictions?

2) What happens when you run into an activated Gate from the backside?
    3) What happens when you are stuck - if possible - between two Gates?

That's all. Thanks in advance.

In regards to the 3rd question, watch an SG-1 Episode called "48 Hours"
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by carterrooij View Post
      I am relatively new to SG and I'm only known with tech from the Trek universe. Though I like Trek better, it's really a nice and different approach SG had made.
      Welcome.

1) Take a random planet with a Gate, and it's dial thingy. Is it possible to take that away, place that on another planet and just go there by dialing the same number? Or are there any restrictions?
      Well you can't dial the gate without the gate dialler (which is called the DHD - Dial Home Device) so you can't dial up a gate, disconnect the DHD and take it with you. You can, however create a sort of dialling device/programme with the right power and technology, as is the case with the SGC where the gate is dialled by a computer. Also you can manually dial a gate (by physically turning the wheel with the chevrons on) provided you can harness some power from somewhere - e.g. a lightning strike.
      In addition, if you have a spare DHD, you can hook it up to another gate if necessary.

I think (although I am sure someone might correct me) that you're de-atomised. i.e dead.
      sigpic

Comment

I think Teal'c once mentioned a Jaffa that tried to run into the other side of a gate and the results "weren't pretty"
        sigpic

Comment

Remember Jackson's lecture from the movie. Each Glyph in an address represents one of six points in space, when these points are entered, they line up to point to the destination coordinates, if there is no gate at those coordinates, the wormhole will not engage. The address is not tied to the gate itself. This is why, in the early seasons of SG-1, the SGC had to use a program to compensate for the stellar drift of the destination gate. There are a few occasions where we see them take gates from other locations, in each case, the gate assumes the new address.

Lets say you have a phone on a land line, you can't just plug the phone into the jack at your neighbors house and take calls from your number, instead the phone will ring when someone dials your neighbor.

Comment

Thanks all of you so far.

So when you take away the Gate and it's DHD, place it on another planet no problem?
            Like taking your own landphone to another house, as well as keeping your number. (Which is possible in the Netherlands.)

Comment

So when you take away the Gate and it's DHD, place it on another planet no problem?
              Like taking your own landphone to another house, as well as keeping your number. (Which is possible in the Netherlands.)
              I'm pretty sure that the 'Gate address corresponds to the Stargate's location, not the Stargate itself. For example, when the Earth had two active Stargates, the one that you would arrive at depended on which one was receiving power (e.g., "Touchstone"). Similarly, in "Enemy at the Gate," anyone trying to dial Earth would connect to the Stargate on the Hiveship in orbit because its Stargate would take priority.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                I'm pretty sure that the 'Gate address corresponds to the Stargate's location, not the Stargate itself. For example
                Adrift says all actually. For the stargate to work, you need to know where you are, and you need to remain in a relatively small area.

Comment

My questions are the following:
                  Do you mean just the DHD (dial thingy), just the gate, or the pair? All DHD's within a network (galaxy) have a subspace link with one another so that they can update each other and compensate for stellar drift. So if you were to transplant a DHD to another planet, I suspect through that network it would readjust to the new coordinates. If you transplanted a gate from one planet to another, it would still work but it would have a different address. The gates tend to function like a receiver, if you enter coordinates to a particular area of space and there happens to be a gate there, then a wormhole will connect to that gate.

Nothing has ever been seen. Teal'c has mentioned that he's either heard about or personally witnessed such a thing and that appeared to be "most unpleasant", it has also been speculated that you would merely walk through the event horizon to the front of the gate or that it would "spit" you back out.

3) What happens when you are stuck - if possible - between two Gates?

That's all. Thanks in advance.
                  I second P90_177's recommendation, that whole episode answers your question.

Comment

Working...
                  X