X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Rebels

NEW ANIMATED SERIES STAR WARS REBELS COMING FALL 2014

May 20, 2013

Production has begun on Star Wars Rebels, an exciting, all-new animated television series based on one of the greatest entertainment franchises of all time. Scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel, it will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

Leading the development of the series is a creative team of exceptional talent. Screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class, Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels and will write the premiere episode. He is joined by Dave Filoni as executive producer, who served as supervising director of the Emmy nominated Star Wars: The Clone Wars since 2008. Executive producer Greg Weisman brings with him a wealth of animation experience with credits such as Young Justice, The Spectacular Spider-Man and Gargoyles.

Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, "The entire team at Lucasfilm has provided extraordinary creativity and innovation for over three decades, and we're thrilled to be bringing the expansive and imaginative world of Star Wars to Disney XD's viewers."

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president, Lucasfilm. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.

Star Wars Rebels will be produced by Lucasfilm Animation, featuring many of the key talents that made Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced at a later date. More information about this developing project will be found on StarWars.com and on Facebook at facebook.com/starwarsrebels.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Could be alright i guess, I kinda hope they make one between 6 & 7 aswell, that would be cool, have to 2 star wars shows on at the same time might be a bit confusing tho
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Hmmm, can you say Live Action/1313? Or the fate of Ahsoka, is she still alive? Will there be a over all story arc that has an end or will we have yet another open ended story that leaves you want to know what the...?

Still have hope there will be more of a close to the Clone Wars. I still think there is a need to bring things right in to RotS. But will have to see what is brought out with season 6 stuff.
      Last edited by Doze; 20 May 2013, 09:37 AM.
      Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Sounds interesting. I'll just have to wait and see. Finishing arcs from Clone Wars will be the main thing I'll be looking for.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I miss the times when I could safely say I've seen everything in Star Wars.
          Now there's Clone Wars 1, Clone Wars 2, that live-action thing, so many cartoons I can't count them, new movies...

I miss simpler times when EVERYTHING in Star Wars didn't have to be explained.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

TheForce.net was liveblogging Dave Filoni's Rebels panel at Celebration Europe II. It's over now, but their blog is as follows:

12:32: Warwick Davis takes the stage! He is now talking to a fan. What brings her to Celebration? “My boyfriend.” The crowd laughs, but she adds that she like Star Wars now.

12:36: Davis asks, “Do you know which character I played?” She answers, “The little one?” “A lucky guess,” Davis replies.

12:39: R4-CEII, Davis’ translator astromech, has taken the stage. Davis points out that it does actually say CEII on his dome.

12:42: Now showing the video previously released of Pablo Hidalgo’s chat with Dave Filoni about Star Wars Rebels.

12:45: Filoni takes the stage! Standing ovation from the crowd. Says this is his fourth Celebration. “You fans are always so gracious. I really appreciate it.” He’s wearing a shirt made for him by a fan.

12:47: Filoni says that he had a part for Davis set up in The Clone Wars, but then the series ended. They’re trying to figure out the best way to bring out the remaining episodes. “What I really like about it is, I feel that Clone Wars got its place and time in the Star Wars saga.”

12:50: “You’ll see in Lucasfilm now a collaboration across many fronts…that’s something I never really had on Clone Wars.” – Dave Filoni. Now showing a video from Greg Weisman and Simon Kinberg addressing the fans. “I’m just swamped on Rebels and very glad.” — Greg Weisman. “I am super, super excited to be working on the Rebels show and to be working on the movies, as well.” – Simon Kinberg

12:53: Kinberg discusses how his children love Star Wars, and he sees that he “can’t mess this up” for them and for the fans.

12:55: Where did the idea for Rebels come from? Filoni says Lucasfilm’s story team got together and talked about what they wanted to see, and they all agreed it was this era. He adds that it will visually be different from The Clone Wars, particularly it will have a strong influence from Ralph McQuarrie. “I looked at his paintings, and there are tons of paintings that he did that have never made it to the screen.” Concept art shows on screen, they look very Star Wars. “Ralph had such a mind for the future.”

12:59: Filoni says they opened the archives and looked at all of Filoni’s originals, to see texture and details. They were often slightly different from what made it to film, which was perfect. “We wanted to create a look for this part of Star Wars that precedes A New Hope by just a little bit.” He adds “We have created a set of digital brushes that replicate McQuarrie’s style…We’re going for something that’s much more an illustrative look.”

1:03: Now talking about the influence of Miyazaki’s character design. They’re creative but believable dramatically. The same goes for Star Wars.

1:05: No animation has really been created yet, but Filoni shows off some Star Wars Rebels concept art, including an Imperial interior! He talks about very specific color schemes. The Empire is always glossy and silver. Luke wears browns and sandy colors. Han is multi-colored. Leia wore white because she was in the Imperial Senate.

1:09: More concept art for an astromech, which will feature arms that McQuarrie originally intended for Artoo, and a protocol droid. Now showing a Star Destroyer. Great applause. Filoni points out that the design will feature elements of the Star Destroyers from A New Hope.

1:11: Now showing a Stormtrooper! Audience applauds. “They get excited about anything bad, don’t they?” – Davis

Filoni says, “You can see a lot of the texture and line work is meant to represent McQuarrie and the way he paints.” He adds that seeing characters he drew in The Clone Wars come to life via fan costumes is one of his favorite things.

1:14: Now showing the Ghost, a new ship from the show, which will be central. Filoni says he wanted it to feel like a home, the way the Falcon did. They’re also working hard studying the original films, hoping it will match the look of classic Star Wars.

1:15: “There has been such great support at Lucasfilm for this endeavor…if you told me as a kid growing up in Pittsburg that I’d be mentored by George Lucas and then Kathleen Kennedy, my had would have exploded.” – Dave Filoni

1:18: Just unveiled the official Star Wars Rebels logo, and Filoni is now throwing some T-shirts with the logo into the crowd.

1:21: Now onto trivia!

1:23: Filoni gets one wrong! What was the opening sentence to the Revenge of the Sith crawl? “War!”

1:24: “You have no idea how much pressure this is!” Filoni says. He scores a 9/10.

1:27: Twitter question: The Clone Wars’ goal was 100 episodes. What is Rebels’ goal? “I’m really excited. Rebels is a really important project to me…It’s something that I want everybody at Lucasfilm to be proud of…Let’s shoot for 100. Why not?”

1:28: Will Rebels be told out of sequence like The Clone Wars? Filoni explains that that came from George Lucas.

1:29: Will Rebels see a young, skinnier Porkins? “Just to show you that the people working on this show are not so different from you, it’s actually come up,” Filoni says.

1:32: Will Rebels continue storylines from The Clone Wars? Filoni is non-commital, but says, “I love all Star Wars characters, especially the ones I created.”

That’s it! Thanks for reading!
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Rebels TIE Fighter

Ghost, a Rebel ship

The series' logo

Twitter: "Inspiration for #StarWarsRebels? Dave: story team at LFL brainstormed new directions & all picked OT lead-up." #StarWarsCelebration

Twitter: "This show will be different from Clone Wars. It's intentionally gonna visually look different." #StarWarsRebels #StarWarsCelebration

Comment

I'm generally less interesting in stories that fall in between events we know a lot about. Doesn't leave as much room for the unexpected I guess. We all want events post ROTJ at this point...
                sigpic

Comment

Teaser trailer.

Comment

"The Jedi will Rise?" sounds vague.

Comment

Live tweets from the Rebels panel at NYCC today

c/p:

In response to bounty hunters, "It's not just black and white Rebels versus Empire" #StarWarsRebels #NYCC

since Episode IV is five years from #starwarsrebels , no specifics, but that information will be referenced #starwarsrebels #nycc

People will die in this series. Ep 4 of the Rebels will see a real tone shift in series.#StarWarsRebels

asked if people will die and if ahsola is still alive. there are deaths, no comment on second question #nycc #starwarsrebels

There is a big focus on the Imperials in the show, and they'll be as developed alongside the heroes #StarWarsRebels

'Hidalgo couldn't answer a question about The Inquisitor and his possible relationship to Starkiller'. Hmm.. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC

#StarWarsRebels will go in chronological order and follow the same group of basic characters.

Hildago: #starwarsrebels being developed much faster than clone wars. in part because they learned from clone wars #nycc

Lucas not involved in #starwarsrebels at all, but influences it through his prior work. #nycc

clone wars was completed a year out, but #starwarsrebels 'does not have that lead time' #nycc

"One of the things that's really exciting is I have a lot of Clone Wars veterans working on this new show." - @dave_filoni

The Inquisitor will have a double-bladed lightsaber. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC2013

won't confirm, but hints that some clone wars characters may appear in #starwarsrebels #nycc

some clone troopers go on to train stormtroopers while others become disgruntled as per Lucas' notes #starwarsrebels #nycc

The inquisitor will carry a lightsaber and there will be a Jedi presence in the show. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC

The new villain is an Imperial Inquisitor. Brought in to hunt down Jedi #StarWarsRebels #NYCC

The back of the Rebels version of a star destroyer. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC Image

"The Empire doesn't have the best interests of Lothal in mind." Rebellion ensues. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC

Imperial freighter. #StarWarsRebels #NYCC Image

Comment

Imperial Inquisitor revealed...

The next great villain from a galaxy far, far away is here. Fans attending Lucasfilm's Star Wars Rebels panel today at New York Comic Con got the world's first look at the Inquisitor, a black-clad, intimidating figure who will play a prominent role in the upcoming animated series. In a special video (available below) screened at the end of the panel, Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni officially revealed the character, showing a sculpted maquette, design sketches, and disclosing that the Inquisitor is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights."

The panel, hosted by Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo, focused on the Empire and how it is central to the story of Star Wars Rebels. Hidalgo revealed that the series takes place about 14 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a time in which the Emperor's rule is secure and the Empire is seeking to expand its power to Outer Rim territories. That leads Imperial forces to Lothal, a poor planet that initially welcomes the Empire on the promise of security and prosperity. It soon becomes obvious, however, that the Empire does not have Lothal's best interests at heart, as the Imperials exploit its people and begin recruiting young citizens to join TIE fighter and Stormtrooper academies, or to work in the Sienar Fleet Systems factory -- which builds TIE fighters -- in the planet's capital. Hidalgo showed new art focusing on Lothal, including the planet itself, a town, and alleyways, as well as an Empire recruitment poster.

The show is fully embracing the Star Wars legacy, taking direct inspiration from the original trilogy and its concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Hidalgo displayed new Star Wars Rebels imagery and animation models for Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, and TIE fighter pilots, all of which fit seamlessly with classic Star Wars. Additionally, Hidalgo introduced several new Imperial vehicles and designs created for the series: the All Terrain Defense Pod (AT-DP), a ground attack walker based on an early Joe Johnston (the filmmaker who designed Boba Fett's armor and speeder bikes, and made other major contributions to Star Wars) illustration from 1979; the new AT-DP pilot, which blends designs of the classic AT-AT walker driver from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the AT-ST walker pilot from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi; the Imperial Troop Transport, which comes from an early Kenner toy that was actually not based on designs from the films; and the Imperial freighter, a reimagining of an Imperial-style craft designed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace by concept artist Doug Chiang, featuring a dock to transport TIE fighters from system to system.

If anything was made clear at today's panel, it's that the Empire is back -- thanks to Star Wars Rebels.

Star Wars Rebels is set to debut on Disney XD in 2014. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on this highly anticipated animated series.

Filoni YouTube video available at link.

Comment

I will atleast give this a try, While i watched The Clone Wars from the start to finish i was still on the fence about the show for the entirety of Season 1 but ended up loving it during season 2
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2930604/...f_=tt_pv_vi_sm
                            Meet videos.

Comment

Happy Star Wars day guys! Here's the first trailer for Star Wars: Rebels

Comment

Working...
                              X