Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cost of the Daedalus-class ships.

Hi there all,
    I don't seem to recall a time when the actual Dollar amount of the Daedalus-classes construction and outfitting was mentioned.
    If you kind and decent fellow fans have to actual figure or the episode where it is mentioned (cause it's been a while since I've seen an SG-1 episode) that would be a great help to me.
    Thank you for reading this post.

Given that one of our space shuttles costs around $1 Billion, I would assume the Daedelus class ships would cost more, since they are bigger than a space shuttle.

Comment

I don't think a dollar price has ever been put on one.

However, it was mentioned that 80% (i think) of the SGC budget was transferred to Daedalus building.

Comment

There's an article that just popped up on my news feed today that says if we were to build the starship Enterprise today, it would cost $480 Billion. So I think building the Daedalus and similar ships would still cost in the lower Billion dollar range, since they are much smaller than the Enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          There's an article that just popped up on my news feed today that says if we were to build the starship Enterprise today, it would cost $480 Billion. So I think building the Daedalus and similar ships would still cost in the lower Billion dollar range, since they are much smaller than the Enterprise.
          Actually, the TOS Enterprise was 289 meters long. The 303 was longer than this if you were to fit four to eight 302's in the ship. The Daedalus is at least as long as the 303.

The Stargate Program costs 7 billion dollars in the first season. The 303's failed hyperdrive had a large price tag too.
          Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
            Actually, the TOS Enterprise was 289 meters long. The 303 was longer than this if you were to fit four to eight 302's in the ship. The Daedalus is at least as long as the 303.

The Stargate Program costs 7 billion dollars in the first season. The 303's failed hyperdrive had a large price tag too.
            The Enterprise was long, but there were more decks on it than on the Daedelus, and quite large crew quarters (at least for officers), plus a holodeck and botanical garden area, much larger infirmary, and who knows what other specialized departments). The latter had a crew of several hundred, while the Enteprise had a much higher number aboard, including all the civilians, plus family quarters (if I remember correctly).

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              The Enterprise was long, but there were more decks on it than on the Daedelus, and quite large crew quarters (at least for officers), plus a holodeck and botanical garden area, much larger infirmary, and who knows what other specialized departments). The latter had a crew of several hundred, while the Enteprise had a much higher number aboard, including all the civilians, plus family quarters (if I remember correctly).
              Keep in mind some of the Enterprise's length is taken up the nacelles (those cylinder engines in the back).

You are mixing the Enterprises too. The Enterprise they were talking about building was the original Enterprise. The 1960's Enterprise. You are think of the The Next Generation Enterprise. The TNG Enterprise is a 641.5 meter long ship. Much larger than even the largest of estimates for a 304.
              Hi There!

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                The TNG Enterprise is a 641.5 meter long ship. Much larger than even the largest of estimates for a 304.
                Unless you believe boberths estimate of over 680 m
                sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

They never specified that I remember. There was a line in Disclosure (6x17) that talked how much they spent on research for the 303 which I believe was 2 billion.

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                    They never specified that I remember. There was a line in Disclosure (6x17) that talked how much they spent on research for the 303 which I believe was 2 billion.
                    that was just on the hyperdrive

Comment

...but most of that would have been research costs.

sigpic

Comment

Well the figure for a "realistic" enterprise is incorrect. The main cost for a spaceship is launch costs. Even with assembly in space, you still have ridiculous costs like 5k per liter water.

In SG, spaceships are built on the surface and launched with negligible launch costs. The daedalus costs are only a fraction of the enterprise's 480 billion.

Comment

Working...
                        X