Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek - Into Darkness: Post-Viewing Free Discussion

SPOILERS!!!

Well, I watched the latest Trek movie last night, and I'm pretty impressed.

I've only recently gotten very into Trek (and by that I mean I'm currently at the end of S5 of DS9 and S3 of VOY on a continual marathon until I reach Nemesis).

I have a few minor issues but on the whole I really enjoyed the film. Some wonderfully lighthearted moments which capture the interaction of any service personnel, and most notably the humour and bond often shared. I thought the premise of an upcoming war with the Klingons was well employed, particularly when twinned with an increasingly insecure Star Fleet that decide to try and take the initiative. What I was most impressed about, however, was the way the film explored JUST how the Trekverse has changed after the destruction of Vulcan, resulting in Khan being discovered in a totally different capacity. Taking this further, I really enjoyed the parallels to Wrath of Khan, and some of the throw backs to it - when Spock yells 'Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!' at the top of his voice, I positively laughed with delight, just as I sat there grinning after Kirk decked Scotty in order to enter the warp-core. 'All this has happened before...' and suchlike! I also really enjoyed other nods to canon, such as Section 31 and the NX-01 model cameo...

Also - loved the look on Chekov's face when Kirk told him to 'put a red shirt on'...

And finally - Tribbles!!! Though why we didn't get a post-credit scene with an Enterprise over run with tribbles, I will NEVER know...

However,

Not so impressed with the Star Wars Empirical uniforms that we saw a lot of times, not just the ceremonial gear worn at the end, but the stuff worn by Mickey Smith, sorry - Noel Clarke, at the beginning (especially his little hat...). I couldn't decide if I was indeed watching the origins of the Empirial Forces, or Starship Troopers. To my knowledge, nothing in Trek, even the 09 movie, sets a precedent for that style of uniform, particularly with the very military style rank insignia on the rank slides... it did make me wonder.

I also didn't think the Klingons looked very... Klingon. I was prepared for something resembling TOS Klingons, and something resembling TNG+ Klingons... not whatever they were. I doubt I'd have recognised them out of context. Further - what was with those masks!?

Minor point - but I still cannot get my head round Jim Kirk being a captain when he's STILL freshly commissioned...

And - ironically, the entire point about attacking an archive just to bring the senior officers together kinda falls apart when it becomes clear that it was actually a Section 31 installation... ho humm.

Overall - good film, preferred Star Trek 09, but will definitely buy on DVD.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

In Short: I LOVED IT !!
    sigpic

Comment

Wow can't wait to see this, how you say it compared to the first re-boot?(the 2009 release)
      better, below? I loved the 2009 reboot. though I also loved all the other movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Perelandra View Post
        Wow can't wait to see this, how you say it compared to the first re-boot?(the 2009 release)
        better, below? I loved the 2009 reboot. though I also loved all the other movies.

It was the same quality as the 2009 reboot, I think, the story was predictible but the effects were awesome and the score as well. The characters do play really well together, as flyboy said and I think you will like it because there are some sweet references in the movie from the old shows.
        sigpic

Comment

I thought Iron Man 3 was a great film till I saw this. Even better. Best film of the year, easily.

Comment

I've yet to see the movie. But I have seen a review from The Sun newspaper here in the UK.
            Alex Zane gave it 4 out of 5.

I'll post my thoughts after I've seen the movie.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Just came back from seeing the movie. I thought it was great and even better than the first one.

Comment

can't wait to see Kirk deck Scotty.

Comment

IGN Posted some their favorite trek movies, so what are yours ?( I am sure there is a thread about this but I did not found it ) Mine are easliy the top 5:

1. Star Trek (2009)
                  2. Star Trek: Into Darkness
                  3. First Contact
                  4. The Wrath of Khan
                  5. Generations

....The Star Trek 2009 Re-Boot made me want to watch most of the Trek shows because I didnt appreciate them before like I do now.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                    IGN Posted some their favorite trek movies, so what are yours ?( I am sure there is a thread about this but I did not found it ) Mine are easliy the top 5:

1. Star Trek (2009)
                    3. First Contact
                    4. The Wrath of Khan
                    5. Generations

....The Star Trek 2009 Re-Boot made me want to watch most of the Trek shows because I didnt appreciate them before like I do now.
                    Nah - Undiscovered Country will forever be my favourite...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

My only real gripe about this movie is that it seemed to ignore distances and travel times. Since when was it possible to go from Earth to Klingon space in a few minutes? Or travel from the edge of the neutral zone and to Chronos in under 20 minutes....

Also, how the heck could someone teleport from Earth to another planet light years away?

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post

1. Star Trek (2009)
                        3. First Contact
                        4. The Wrath of Khan
                        5. Generations

Mine are
                        1. Star Trek 2009
                        2. The Wrath of Khan
                        3. The Undiscovered County
                        4. The Voyage Home (just look Kirk's double dumbass comment)
                        5. Star Trek: First Contact

I'm sure Into Darkness will make my top 5 i'm sure it once i see it.

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                        Nah - Undiscovered Country will forever be my favourite...
                        Undiscovered Country was a pretty good movie. i was only 2 to 3 years old at the time of it's release. my dad had all six Original series movies so i watched them and they were pretty good.

Comment

Just back from seeing the movie. LOVED IT, from start to finish. It would have been cool to see a Scot playing Scotty but I must say, Simon Pegg does a marvellous job, and he's funny
                          sigpic

Comment

My order is:

First contact
                            Wrath of Khan
                            Into Darkness (this might change since I've only seen it once).
                            Undiscovered Country
                            Star Trek 2009

Comment

The movie was ok until Khan managed to survive an uncontrollable atmospheric re-entry with barely a scratch; that's when it was almost too much for my suspension of disbelief - I almost walked out of the theater - would have if I weren't with my family...

Comment

Working...
                              X