Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney and EA enter "long-term partnership" for Star Wars games

Disney, Lucasfilm Partner With EA For "The Future Of Star Wars Gaming"

StarWars.com has just announced that Lucasfilm will be entering into a long-term partnership with Electronic Arts to produce Star Wars video games for a variety of platforms. The deal will involve game development contributions from EA's DICE, Visceral, and BioWare teams.

Right after The Walt Disney Company bought Lucasfilm, company executives expressed interest in using the Star Wars intellectual property to target new gaming platforms. That worried some hardcore gamers who thought that PC gaming was no longer a priority for LucasArts. Then, when Disney closed LucasArts on April 3rd of this year, anxiety levels among Star Wars gamers rose even higher.

Today's announcement will be seen as welcome news by that community. The release promises that "EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience" while the House of Mouse's internal game designers at Disney Interactive "will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms."

Check out the full announcement below:

Electronic Arts Selected for Multi-Year Agreement for the Future of Star Wars Gaming

May 06, 2013

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.

"Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. "When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."

While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms.

"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. "Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world."

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

More information, including titles in development, will be announced in the coming months. Continue to check StarWars.com for updates on the future of Star Wars gaming.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'll just leave this here.

Meh...

Comment

Give Bioware the go ahead for KOTOR 3. I am skeptical of EA but hoping that this leads to higher quality games.
      sigpic

Favorite quote:
      McKay: You shot me!
      Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
      Ronon: You shot me, too.
      Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by python490 View Post
        Give Bioware the go ahead for KOTOR 3. I am skeptical of EA but hoping that this leads to higher quality games.
        I wouldn't hold my breath on that. It is EA, after all.
        Meh...

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
          I wouldn't hold my breath on that. It is EA, after all.
          Medium quality games and a lot of DLC.
          Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
          ---
          sigpic

Comment

Meh, the choices were pretty much either EA or Activision-Blizzard. Pick your poison, it doesn't make much difference.

I do think EA (generally) has better affiliated developer houses though:
            - BioWare (KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire)
            - Criterion (Burnout, NFS Hot Pursuit)
            - DICE (Battlefield titles, Mirror's Edge)
            - EA Black Box (various NFS games)
            - Maxis (all the Sim titles)
            - PopCap (Bejeweled, Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies)
            - Visceral (Dead Space, Godfather games)

Not to totally poo-poo Activision. They've got Blizzard, Infinity Ward, Radical, and Raven. But I haven't been as impressed with their output as the EA developers.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

They Killed BF III that is the only game I want to see.

Here is a long version of BF III: http://www.twitch.tv/ptoponline/c/2241950
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Doze; 06 May 2013, 08:37 PM.
              Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

Not a fan of EA but i will wait and see if they can surprise me.
                sigpic
                The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

According to a unoffical Disney News Site; EA Games will partner with LucasArts, the brand will still be alive as far as I have read. As it currently appears {to me at the moment} EA has taken on the Star Wars games and also took on the recently laid off workers formerly emplyed through Lucasarts. This may mean something good to come of it. Recent news also showed that Disney ended Clone Wars because they most likely do not want want it showing on a competitors channel {Cartoon Network}. I think they plan to keep it going, but on the Disney Channel, or a channel dedicated to Star Wars in general. But I am not 100% sure on this as it is currently rumor.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                    Recent news also showed that Disney ended Clone Wars because they most likely do not want want it showing on a competitors channel {Cartoon Network}. I think they plan to keep it going, but on the Disney Channel, or a channel dedicated to Star Wars in general. But I am not 100% sure on this as it is currently rumor.
                    If they planned to keep it going, they likely wouldn't have flat-out cancelled it.
                    Meh...

Comment

Originally posted by Livestick View Post
                      If they planned to keep it going, they likely wouldn't have flat-out cancelled it.
                      They cancelled it on Cartoon Network, as far as Cartoon Network is concerned, SWCW is not coming back. However other channels owned by Disney may show it, nothing as far as I am aware is set in stone at this time. Like I said it is rumor, nothing more at this point.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

According to a unoffical Disney News Site; EA Games will partner with LucasArts, the brand will still be alive as far as I have read. As it currently appears {to me at the moment} EA has taken on the Star Wars games and also took on the recently laid off workers formerly emplyed through Lucasarts. This may mean something good to come of it. Recent news also showed that Disney ended Clone Wars because they most likely do not want want it showing on a competitors channel {Cartoon Network}. I think they plan to keep it going, but on the Disney Channel, or a channel dedicated to Star Wars in general. But I am not 100% sure on this as it is currently rumor.
                        ...there's no rumour to it. They cancelled it and laid off most of the staff at Lucas Animation. The show is kaput, finito, done-zo. The only thing we're going to get from the The Clone Wars metaseries anymore is the 'bonus content' (ie: the Season 6 content they'd finished or come close to finishing) and the TCW comics--and count on those coming to an end soon enough, without the TV series brand out there to cross-promote.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          ...there's no rumour to it. They cancelled it and laid off most of the staff at Lucas Animation. The show is kaput, finito, done-zo. The only thing we're going to get from the The Clone Wars metaseries anymore is the 'bonus content' (ie: the Season 6 content they'd finished or come close to finishing) and the TCW comics--and count on those coming to an end soon enough, without the TV series brand out there to cross-promote.
                          No it is not gone, EA took contract with Disney/Lucasfilm. LucasArts is still alive, EA took on those laid off. Cartoon Network was a competitor with Disney company's own major channels. Sure Disney Channel sucks at the moment {and why I mostly watch Wake Up With Al on Weather Channel}, but move Clone Wars there, and their viewers will pick up. I see this contract with EA as a positive direction that COULD see the continuation of Clone Wars

I really do not understand why everyone is getting up in arms about it when LucasArts was already set to go under before Disney bought LucasFilm

Comment

No it is not gone, EA took contract with Disney/Lucasfilm. LucasArts is still alive, EA took on those laid off. Cartoon Network was a competitor with Disney company's own major channels. Sure Disney Channel sucks at the moment {and why I mostly watch Wake Up With Al on Weather Channel}, but move Clone Wars there, and their viewers will pick up. I see this contract with EA as a positive direction that COULD see the continuation of Clone Wars

I really do not understand why everyone is getting up in arms about it when LucasArts was already set to go under before Disney bought LucasFilm
                            Sure. Because the show can keep making itself without all the Lucas Animation staff Disney laid off.
                            Meh...

Comment

What on Earth are you talking about?

The Clone Wars is over. Lucas Animation is still around, but the staff who worked on the show have been laid off. This has nothing to do with networks, Cartoon vs. DisneyXD. Lucas Animation is a production studio and the staff that made the show is no longer employed there. The show is over, fullstop. It's not coming back.

LucasArts is a different company. LucasArts was a production studio for video games and had no staff crossover with Lucas Animation. Unlike Lucas Animation, LucasArts has been entirely shut down and its entire staff laid off. And, with the news of this thread, those people aren't getting their jobs back either--development on Star Wars games is finished at LucasArts likely forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X