Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Falcon Horus 3D model making tutorial thread

Welcome to the Falcon Horus 3D Model Making tutorial thread

The plan is to create tutorials for people interested in learning 3D model making but don't know where to start... There are other threads here that deal with 3D models but mostly ships and other space related things.. (this is a sci-fi forum after all )

I use Blender to make all my models and animations, and Gimp to create textures.

So.. if anyone is interested (and if FH appears to help with the tutorial making since she knows programs I don't.. and actually took a course in this stuff) post here to let us know so we can start making tutorials

I thought we could start with something like the jelly cube:

Or if anyone is interested, post suggestions so we know where to start

*this thread is in no way intended as a way to boost my Youtube channel views..
    Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 29 April 2013, 05:52 AM.

I work with Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max, so keep in mind that different programs might have different buttons and names for the same actions.

Off we go then...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I work with MS3D. I'm still a beginner but I've got some things figured out. So I'm willing to help too.
      sigpic

Comment

You are more than welcome to do so. We can all learn from one another this way.

Comment

awesome
          sigpic

Comment

Just a quick how to for anyone trying to use Milkshape 3D for Star Trek Armada 1/2 .SOD files. The original programming on MS3D doesn't have the tools to import or export them so you have to download an "importer/exporter extension".
            You can get that file HERE or HERE.
            There is one problem with this Extension file, it doesn't work. At least not without some tweaking from you. So here's the step by step:
            1. Extract all files from the zip folder into the first page of the Milkshape 3D folder.
            2. Scroll down the MS3D folder till you see the following:
            "msSODExporter.dll"
            3. Copy this file
            4. Open the subfolder titled: "Source"
            5. Open the subsubfolder titled: "Armada Exporter" - Paste
            6. Repeat step 2, till you see the following:
            "msSODImporter.dll"
            7. Repeat steps 3-5, only paste into subsubfolder "Armada Importer"
            8. DONE!

One more thing about the extension, it only works on original stock SOD files. Original stock files from full conversion mods do not open unfortunately. Also you cannot reopen SOD files you've already exported, if you want to modify you're own files you will have to separately save the image as a ".ms3d" and use that to do any more editing.
            There are no restrictions on making and exporting original custom files from scratch though and these restrictions don't apply (I think) to the other types of model imports, just Star Trek Armada 1/2. Which means you can model to your hearts content
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting find for all 3D-modellers out there:

3D Printing Competition 2013 by CGTrader

You could win a 3D-printer kit.

Comment

People keep asking for a tutorial for my nebula video.. so here it is

I think it proves that I'm the last person who should be making tutorials

Comment

*fishes thread from the depths of the Gateworld off-topic section*

So, I just started a refresher course of 3D-design. Unfortunately, we're using Cinema 4D where I'm used to Maya or Max, but it's all pretty much the same idea. First lesson was had and we simply clicked around, got a feel of the program and made our first model -- dice... which I intend to recreate this weekend in a slightly better version than what he had us do on wednesday.

Anyway, I will share what I learn. Perhaps someone can use the ideas and tips.
                  If there's anyone else out there, using Cinema 4D -- tips are welcome.

Comment

The chances of me managing this are ... unlikely, but I'd love to have both the knowledge and the patience to create high-end 3D models. I don't think I'll ever manage it, but my admiration goes out to anyone that does; especially where science fiction ships and such are concerned. Some of the work I've seen is, quite simply, outstanding.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flash525 View Post
                      The chances of me managing this are ... unlikely, but I'd love to have both the knowledge and the patience to create high-end 3D models. I don't think I'll ever manage it, but my admiration goes out to anyone that does; especially where science fiction ships and such are concerned. Some of the work I've seen is, quite simply, outstanding.
                      I didn't think I'd get the hang of it either, especially since I was more interested in special effects but that one year of 3D-modelling did spark an interest and it stuck. Though, character modelling isn't my thing. Object modelling, that I can do.

Comment

What is PH using now? Can he/she help since he/she was the thread starter?
                        http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                          What is PH using now? Can he/she help since he/she was the thread starter?
                          She uses Blender and she's already on speeddial.

She got skillz!
                          And she's like the Jedi of 3D -- I'm only at Padawan level.

And the thread title was her idea -- I had nothing to do with that.

Comment

It is nice to have friends you can count on.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            And the thread title was her idea -- I had nothing to do with that.
                            Even if you try to disown them
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                              Even if you try to disown them
                              *snort*

Anyway... got some of her models right here. She said it was OK to post them, so by all means... Her DeviantArt page is here.

And a small sample of her extensive gallery:

the Stargate ...which I will be modelling as well (cause why the hell not)...

Daleks from Doctor Who

a random rocket ship

Be sure to browse the gallery though, plenty more to discover -- these are just a few samples.

Comment

Working...
                              X