No announcement yet.

The Name of the Doctor (3314/714)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the séance, and the idea that through it they could communicate across time.

And, I loved the idea of River "existing" in the TARDIS. I think it made me start to consider how very alien the Doctor is. For us it would be absurd to have an actual version of a loved one so firm in reality we could kiss them, but for a Timelord ? I like the idea.

The episode suffered for me in one major respect. Due to the restraints on what they could show of previous Doctors Clara's rescues were very rushed. I think it could have been better to focuss on one or two of the more recent Doctors and shoot actual footage. I think too that the episode should have been at least longer or a 2-parter.

That said, it was o.k. given all the restraints of time etc. that the show suffers from in the U.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
      That's a great question, and I don't recall seeing a satisfactory explanation. There's much to love about this episode, but the telepathic, time-traveling, dream-state is awful. It's made more non-sensical by including "post-death backup River," who exists only in the data banks of the Library. What were TPTB thinking? Utterly ludicrous story elements cause confusion and diminish enjoyment of the story. I guess you'll all hate me for aiming critcism at this episode that everyone's praising, but this spoiled my immersion in the story.

I agree with all of those points. Second viewing of the episode for me ruined any potential fun I might have had. I was thing about the very stuff you had mentioned.
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

many thoughts running through my over active head having now watched this episode and the various related ones shown from the flash backs Clara was in... first off Clara is no ordinary human and has not been since the GI upgraded her computer skills to simply Beyond Brilliant. As the Doctor repeatedly calls her, she is his impossible Girl...so here's the thing... I strongly suspect She is actually the Dr's Daughter...okay, let me re-qualify this...his "adopted" daughter via River Song (the backed up memories of River) adopting Charlotte Abigail Lux in The Library's data base. Thought I was going to point to the actual Doctors Daughter, Jenny...more on her in a bit...probably to return season 8 I suspect.

Crazy? Hardly, if you watch this episode over again you'll see the only time Tennant's Dr #10 is shown is a scene from a balcony from "Silence of the Library" looking out over the forests of buildings/books... presumably for this theory CAL/Clara was in the floating camera we saw her communicating through in the Library with Donna and the Doctor.

part two of the craziness... Hurt's Dr is potentially the regeneration of or an aged Tennant from his Bio-Crisis Dr 10/Tennant. He committed Genocide with the end of season 4 where we saw The Stolen Earth and he reversed the death ray onto all the darleks... The real Dr sent him away with Rose with the hope Rose would be able to fix him as she had helped fix him... The 3/4 Human Dr 10 clone could very easily be the Doctor gone wrong from the other time-stream.

Think this through...if not for Donna, Jack, Mickey, Sarah Jane Smith, and Martha keeping Tennants Dr grounded and helping form his personality up ("Left Turn" showing the most dramatic effect a companion may have) to the Waters of Mars and him drawing the conclusion he wasn't as he had viewed himself through guilt as a survivor. He may have actually concluded he was simply the last one standing i.e. Time Lord Victorious. With that type of power and knowledge the Path the other Dr surely may have taken may have been to be different...trying to control Time rather then being an observer and reluctant participant.

sorry.... okay, Back to the CAL/Clara deal... for all we know River didn't Really Die and she may have been "Saved" after the first download of 4022 others allowed Clara/CAL to upload and save her before death...we never saw a body... plus she could exist once Clara was in the Dr's time-stream because Clara hadn't really left and still existed within the Tardis... further how hard would it have been for the Dr to upload all of the Library at some point...he hates goodbye's so he may have at some future point returned to the library and uploaded the database or simply moved it into the Tardis...it is smaller on the outside...something only Clara has ever noted.

Comment

Originally posted by MrEd1177 View Post
          sorry.... okay, Back to the CAL/Clara deal... for all we know River didn't Really Die and she may have been "Saved" after the first download of 4022 others allowed Clara/CAL to upload and save her before death...we never saw a body... plus she could exist once Clara was in the Dr's time-stream because Clara hadn't really left and still existed within the Tardis... further how hard would it have been for the Dr to upload all of the Library at some point...he hates goodbye's so he may have at some future point returned to the library and uploaded the database or simply moved it into the Tardis...it is smaller on the outside...something only Clara has ever noted.

One other last note...River in Meeting David Tennant knew immediately he was the Dr...but she indicated "I've never seen you this young" Could that have been the earliest spoiler that Tennant may return as the real Dr made possible with the presence of his 3/4 Human self when Matt Smith regenerates...??? what better foreshadowing than..."I don't wanna go!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrEd1177 View Post

One other last note...River in Meeting David Tennant knew immediately he was the Dr...but she indicated "I've never seen you this young" Could that have been the earliest spoiler that Tennant may return as the real Dr made possible with the presence of his 3/4 Human self when Matt Smith regenerates...??? what better foreshadowing than..."I don't wanna go!"
            Why would that mean he's coming back? Since they've always been meeting in the wrong order it just means, it's the last/first time they see each other before River "dies". What comes after that, and if they find a way to bring her back some how (so we get to see a post library River) is another story (well, literary).
            Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

The trance thing was a bit odd, but I did like getting an explanation re Clara.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
                Emm, hmm, err..
                I havent seen the pre-time-war episodes (yet! ), but I live around this forum and other sources and have red about them - if Hurt is Valeyard (or if he is not, but someone else will be in the future of the Doctor), how could Valeyard possibly get to pre-time-war Galifrey (The trial happened on Galifrey, didnt it? It defiantly happened with the time lords (?)), if the whole thing is in a time lock and the Time Loards essentially do not exist?
                assuming the timelock also prevents someone interfering in timelord history before the war there is only one way around it. the valeyard is (in some way) the doctor, it has been noted someone can travel back on their timestream if they were in the war like dalek caan. e.g. nothing can get in or out except something that was already there, the valeyard could therefore travel back on the doctor's own timeline to the war or before. (time war fanfics!) only problem with his plan is that if the valeyard succeeded in his plan, then all off history affected by the doctor after that point would be rewritten.

Comment

I really really loved this episode. it showed what happens when the doctor dies and shows how Clara can be in all those places at once living and dying. I also loved her seeing all sides to the doctor. we'll all regenarations of the doctor including one he wants to forget it was well written and well acted.
                  sigpic

Comment

Still kind of confused about Clara. I got the impression that she was reincarnated since the 1st doctor but I am not sure because of the timeline. I think if she was reincarnated, she did not remember the first time around that until she was scattered through the Doctor's timestream.

Comment

Great episode, and a very interesting back story to how Clara kept popping up.
                      Sad about the cliffhanger at the end as we would have to wait 'till November.
                      Still a great episode overall, and goes to show how much people will sacrifice to keep the Doctor's name a secret.

Comment

"five foot one and crying... you never stood a chance". Great line
                        sigpic

Comment

Great episode. I was actually looking forward to Clara becoming this character that would come and go throughout the Doctor's time stream and just randomly pop up in an episode and tell the Doctor what to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X