A Feast for Crows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Feast for Crows

What's people's deal with Feast for Crows? I finished it a couple of weeks back, and I really enjoyed it.

I knew about the FfC/DwD character split going in and I've got DwD sat on the shelf waiting for season 3 to end, so that didn't really bother me, although I understand how it could have been annoying reading as they came out. I liked the Dorne stuff too, which I've seen people grumble about. Those presumably aren't the only issues though.

I just found most of it really bloody boring.

In King's Landing, Jaime does pretty much nothing for the whole book while Cersei's story takes forever to play out--without anything really happening.

Off in the Eyrie, Littlefinger's and Sansa's creepy-ass daddy/daughter / I wanted to bang your mum so now I'm going to be creepy with you story was just...ew. Boring for the most part, and ew when it wasn't.

The story in Dorne--while having a FANTASTIC ending--was agonizing in ever getting around to getting to the point.

The Iron Islanders story just came completely out of left field after Storm of Swords; Asha kind of went from being a hard badass to bitter and a pushover.

The best stuff in it, IMO, was Arya's story. And Sam's story, but that was maddening because it cut off just as it was about to get REALLY interesting.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

It was cause the book was missing many of the more interesting characters.

Splitting it geographically was a bad idea
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        It was cause the book was missing many of the more interesting characters.

Splitting it geographically was a bad idea
        Oh gods, YES. No Tyrion or Dany.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I just found most of it really bloody boring.
        Boring and disappointing for me. I was expecting so much more, especially after the epic events in A Storm of Swords. Way too much exposition for my taste.

In King's Landing, Jaime does pretty much nothing for the whole book while Cersei's story takes forever to play out--without anything really happening.
        There was a small bit of satisfaction with Cersei's plot line, especially with her intrigues blowing up in her face. But you're correct that it took way too long for everything to unfold.

Spoiler:
        I was very irritated that we had to wait until A Dance with Dragons to see the big emotional payoff for Cersei's machinations.

Off in the Eyrie, Littlefinger's and Sansa's creepy-ass daddy/daughter / I wanted to bang your mum so now I'm going to be creepy with you story was just...ew. Boring for the most part, and ew when it wasn't.
        Some of Littlefinger/Sansa interplay had a bit of humor to me, albeit a very twisted sense of humor. Much of the time though, I rolled my eyes at the whole Alayne Stone masquerade, waiting for it to be over because I began wondering how much of it was relevant to the overall plot line.

The story in Dorne--while having a FANTASTIC ending--was agonizing in ever getting around to getting to the point.
        I liked some of the newcomers in the Dorne plot line, especially the interplay with the Sand Snakes.

Spoiler:
        I like how Quentyn being mentioned played out into a major subplot in A Dance with Dragons.

The Iron Islanders story just came completely out of left field after Storm of Swords; Asha kind of went from being a hard badass to bitter and a pushover.
        I ended up liking Victarion's subplot and his character. Euron... ugh.

The best stuff in it, IMO, was Arya's story. And Sam's story, but that was maddening because it cut off just as it was about to get REALLY interesting.
        One of the biggest disappointments for me in Feast was having only three Arya chapters. Getting acquainted with the Faceless Men and Braavos in general was fascinating, and much more interesting to me than Cersei's intrigues at King's Landing. When I got to the end of the book, I was outright pissed that there were no more Arya chapters.

Spoiler:
        I wasn't exactly pleased to see only two Arya chapters in A Dance with Dragons either.
        Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 26 April 2013, 02:01 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I think the major fault in the book is that it comes after such epic story lines that transpired in A Storm of Swords. It is like going from the peak straight to the bottom in terms of story telling excitement. Everyone is expecting that the story continues at the same pace but instead it is slowed down to a glacial pace and introducing a lot different subplots that don't seem relevant to the reader.

A Dance with Dragons is a bit better in terms of these aspects but even so it could have been a lot better. I think that what everyone is hoping for is that all these events will once again reach their apex in the last two books. Otherwise it will just be a huge disappointment.
          sigpic

Comment

For me I just remember thinking 'what was the point of that chapter?'... usually you read a chapter and it gives you information or sets something up for later, but this book didn't seem to do that... some of the chapters just seemed to be there to fill in space...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Working...
            X