SG teams in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG teams in 2013

How do you think SG teams would be outfitted today as far as military technology and weaponry go? If you were in charge of the program, what kind of gear would you mandate each team had to depart with? Also, do you think it'd be more appropriate for SG teams to wear fatigues or perhaps civvies?

I'm trying to get a mental picture of what Stargate operations would like today, five years after SG-1 concluded. I imagine they'd look something how Homeworld Command is depicted in SGU (at least the logistical side of things that are coordinated from the Pentagon/SGC) I also imagine that the actual operations carried out on the ground would be similar to the military operations conducted in the Transformers series of films...

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
    If you were in charge of the program, what kind of gear would you mandate each team had to depart with?
    I don't know enough about weapons to say, but I'd have them in civilian clothes, because I do laugh at their "we're just friendly explorers" line of chat when they're wearing what's obviously military gear. I marvel that anyone ever believes they're harmless.
    sigpic

Comment

Obviously military to Terrans.

I'm sorry - but apart from some mentally unbalanced SF on a covert op 'amongst the people', the idea of taking personnel out of uniform is nuts...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Why?
        sigpic

Comment

I would suspect that most, if not all, off-world cultures that would be encountered wouldn't know the difference between military dress and civvies unless it was explained to them. The more I think about it, the more it seems that civvies would only be necessary if the teams were working on Earth outside of the SGC, which has already happened in a few SG-1, Atlantis and SGU episodes.

It would make sense though for reconnaissance purposes if they dressed more often in native clothing for off-world missions instead of rolling into a village in BDU's. At least that tends to be the SOP for similar operations here on Earth.

One thing I was wondering, the Stargate Wiki indicates the gate has a diameter of 6.7 meters, or almost 22 feet. I realize that's only at it's widest points, but doesn't it seem like the gate should technically be big enough to deploy more vehicles?

Comment

One thing I was wondering, the Stargate Wiki indicates the gate has a diameter of 6.7 meters, or almost 22 feet. I realize that's only at it's widest points, but doesn't it seem like the gate should technically be big enough to deploy more vehicles?
            It's at least big enough to get Jeep-sized vehicles through it. We've seen them used on other planets. Plus, they got a rocket (in pieces) through it in "Red Sky".

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              It's at least big enough to get Jeep-sized vehicles through it. We've seen them used on other planets. Plus, they got a rocket (in pieces) through it in "Red Sky".
              They have sent Jeep sized vehicles through? I don't remember this... I know they sent the "Needle Threader" through, and then of course all of the Puddle Jumpers.

Comment

2013??? It's only really a couple of years after SGU finished so I don't see much difference. I reckon they have all gone into he black uniforms of SGU now and most likely kept up with developments in weapon technology of current military usage plus perhaps added some more alien technology.

I got the impression that home world command is the centre of operations now as opposed to the SGC. Is the gate still based in Cheyenne mountain tho?? I'd like to think that the current commander of the SGC is General Sam Carter
                sigpic
                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

I would suspect that most, if not all, off-world cultures that would be encountered wouldn't know the difference between military dress and civvies unless it was explained to them.
                  I was thinking that what makes it look military is just the fact that it's all the same. And I don't know if actual alien cultures would put their military in uniforms, but fictional aliens do.

It would make sense though for reconnaissance purposes if they dressed more often in native clothing for off-world missions instead of rolling into a village in BDU's.
                  For recon and for those situations when you don't want people to assume you're a hostile invading species?

But even though it would make more sense to me, I do like their uniforms and I can suspend disbelief there. Just like I think that a long black leather coat is about the stupidest thing the Wraith could have chosen on the basis of practicality, but it looks cool so what the hell.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                    2013??? It's only really a couple of years after SGU finished so I don't see much difference. I reckon they have all gone into he black uniforms of SGU now and most likely kept up with developments in weapon technology of current military usage plus perhaps added some more alien technology.

I got the impression that home world command is the centre of operations now as opposed to the SGC. Is the gate still based in Cheyenne mountain tho?? I'd like to think that the current commander of the SGC is General Sam Carter
                    Don't get me wrong, I love SGU, but I never considered the personnel on Destiny to reflect the larger Stargate Command. It was such an isolated, classified project within Homeworld Command that it seemed like even other Stargate personnel who weren't assigned to Icarus had no idea about it. As such, I figured the way the base and it's personnel were outfitted may have been significantly different than the rest of the SGC (although I had forgotten until now that Gen. O'Neill also wore a black uniform). I was never clear what the fate of Cheyenne Mountain was after "Enemy at the Gate". I kind of figured it was decommissioned until further notice since Atlantis is parked in San Francisco Bay and it's gate supersedes the gate in the SGC. Apparently books that have been written since that series ended describe Atlantis returning to the Pegasus galaxy, but I don't know if those are considered canon or not.

I suppose the weapons and equipment used by Icarus base personnel would be appropriate and similar to what other personnel in the SGC would use.

One thing I wonder about, is if there would ever be a point when the SGC's method of operation would change and perhaps become more of an offensive program. With the Lucian Alliance now a significant threat to Earth, the political landscape seems similar to the United States facing off against al-Qaeda. Earth is a fairly organized and unified (in comparison) military superpower, and the Lucian Alliance is a decentralized and loose organization of "terrorists" (or however you want to look at them) waging a guerrilla warfare campaign against us. I wonder if what would follow is Earth conducting more direct-action operations through the gate?

Or if the whole thing would largely remain exploratory and diplomatic.

Comment

It would make sense though for reconnaissance purposes if they dressed more often in native clothing for off-world missions instead of rolling into a village in BDU's. At least that tends to be the SOP for similar operations here on Earth.
                      And how are the SG teams supposed to know what the native outfits look like in advance? The BDUs are chosen after they've seen the MALP recordings (or have other/previous intel about the planet) to blend in the landscape as best as possible, meaning desert BDUs for sandy planets, olive drab for jungle/highly forested planets and most likely black for ships or other interiors these days since it seemed to become more popular in later seasons (and possibly different versions in their packs for unknown territory).

Anyway, this would still mean going in in some kind of outfit (and really, BDUs are designed for missions like these and allow them to carry much more things than regular civvies) and then sneaking down to the nearest village and stealing clothes hanging from a clothesline, or something. That's just ridiculous and doesn't really let a team make a good first impression if they're caught.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Anyway, this would still mean going in in some kind of outfit (and really, BDUs are designed for missions like these and allow them to carry much more things than regular civvies) and then sneaking down to the nearest village and stealing clothes hanging from a clothesline, or something. That's just ridiculous and doesn't really let a team make a good first impression if they're caught.
                        I can see it now. Swiping clothing on clothes lines and then showing up in the village. One (or more) villager pointing at them and shouting "you stole my clothes", and things going downhill from there.

Comment

I can't imagine them going in anything other than the military uniform, they are designed to be practical and the obvious choice. I suppose things would be different if they were doing recon on a Lucian Alliance world, but they could still stand out anyway in the way they behave, not really aware of how hesitantly and quizzically they wander around checking stuff out, very much as tourists in your home town do, you can spot them quite easily!

On the whole I liked that the SG teams always wore the uniform and that people on other worlds weren't generally bothered about it and just viewed them as just another bunch of travellers through the gate. Although I'm thinking in 2013 they would be making more use of the technology they've come across over the years. The Ancient communication stones for example are a useful tool for infiltration as shown in SGU's 'Seizure' and no doubt will continue to be used like that to get at the Lucian Alliance.

I presume the quest for, and the use of Ancient technology is stepped up as Earth tries to keep the Lucian Alliance from getting hold of it and using it against them. Perhaps an Earth made 'Kull warrior' will join SG teams, or even McKay might perfect the making of human form replicators and they go out and give the Lucian Alliance hell! Or even get together with Harlan again and get robot SG team duplicates out there too. Earth's enemies wouldn't stand a chance!

Given the deteriorating situation in the Milky Way galaxy as far as the LA menace was concerned I can't see Earth sending the city of Atlantis back to the Pegasus galaxy any time soon, it is after all their ultimate form of protection against anything any enemy can throw at them so would now be the new 'Cheyenne Mountain'. Also the LA were particularly interested in Destiny, at some point the people of Earth will discover what it is and the knowledge the LA wanted will be Earth's giving them some power that will change life in the Milky Way drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            And how are the SG teams supposed to know what the native outfits look like in advance? The BDUs are chosen after they've seen the MALP recordings (or have other/previous intel about the planet) to blend in the landscape as best as possible, meaning desert BDUs for sandy planets, olive drab for jungle/highly forested planets and most likely black for ships or other interiors these days since it seemed to become more popular in later seasons (and possibly different versions in their packs for unknown territory).

I imagine that unless the civilization in question was parked right at the foot of the gate, there would be a number of ways that the SGC could gather intel on a culture before actually sending any teams in. The same way our forces scout remote places in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the world. Deploy a drone (with the wide variety of drones out there I'm sure more than a few would be capable of transporting through the gate).

I understand BDU's still make the most sense, what I'm thinking is that given the similarities in the Tau'ri vs. Lucian Alliance conflict and our real-world conflict between the United States/Coalition forces and al-Qaeda, it seems logical to think the tactics and approach would be very similar and that would include our guys going places where there may or may not be an enemy presence without giving away any kind indication as to what faction they're affiliated with.

They've already done this on at least one occasion in "Off the Grid" when Mitchell, Carter, Jackson and Teal'c were all looking into Kassa. I figured since the conflict against the Lucian Alliance was evolving, perhaps more of that sort of warfare would be seen instead of the more direct conflict that we had seen in the past with the Goa'uld, Ori and Wraith.

Comment

I imagine that unless the civilization in question was parked right at the foot of the gate, there would be a number of ways that the SGC could gather intel on a culture before actually sending any teams in. The same way our forces scout remote places in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the world. Deploy a drone (with the wide variety of drones out there I'm sure more than a few would be capable of transporting through the gate).

I understand BDU's still make the most sense, what I'm thinking is that given the similarities in the Tau'ri vs. Lucian Alliance conflict and our real-world conflict between the United States/Coalition forces and al-Qaeda, it seems logical to think the tactics and approach would be very similar and that would include our guys going places where there may or may not be an enemy presence without giving away any kind indication as to what faction they're affiliated with.

They've already done this on at least one occasion in "Off the Grid" when Mitchell, Carter, Jackson and Teal'c were all looking into Kassa. I figured since the conflict against the Lucian Alliance was evolving, perhaps more of that sort of warfare would be seen instead of the more direct conflict that we had seen in the past with the Goa'uld, Ori and Wraith.
                              But how much remote viewing would you be able to do in 38 minutes? And without letting the UAV or whatever you're using draw attention to prevent it from being shot down and without anyone noticing the activation of the Stargate...
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X