This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU cancellation was a failure of marketing by SyFy

I say this as a fan who enjoyed the original Stargate movie but couldn't stand the TV shows it spawned.

If I had known from the beginning that SGU was a serial with hard SF elements, featuring the discovery of an ancient generation ship in the style of Revelation Space, I would have been all over it from the first episode. As it stands, I never watched the show while it was on the air and only reluctantly watched the first episode after stumbling on it on Netflix and reading the premise.

This is a failure of marketing.

I see "Stargate," and I expect McGuyver, characters with stupid symbols painted on their faces, and painfully bad writing and dialogue from the same network that brings us such fare as Giant Python vs Mega Octopus, or whatever crap they're currently peddling. (With apologies to long-time Stargate fans.)

Likewise, I never watched Battlestar Galactica when it was on the air because it was on SyFy, the network that brings us the aforementioned monster shows, several different varieties of ghost hunter shows featuring retards running around old psych wards with night vision cameras, and legendarily awful adaptations like the Dune miniseries of a few years ago.

Of course, I never knew what BSG really was until I started seeing reviews in Slate, NPR and the New York Times, where reviewers were not only praising the show, but discussing its real-world parallels with academic seriousness. I thought, "They cannot be talking about that show on SciFi." (Before it was Siffee, as Leonard Hofstadter calls it.)

Likewise with Caprica, which turned out to be a fantastic show with a stellar cast but never captured a loyal audience.

SyFy has a serious marketing problem, and it will never find success with so-called prestige shows, the serials HBO, AMC and Showtime are known for, if 1) It can't find a way to appeal to a wider audience, 2) It cannot capitalize on the mainsteaming of geek culture, 3) It cannot communicate to audiences that, yes, there are strong, smartly-written female leads like Starbuck from BSG, 4) and its executives continue to exhibit a stunning lack of patience and long-term planning.

Why is the best horror TV show, a ratings juggernaut, on AMC instead of SyFy? Why is the greatest fantasy television show of all time on HBO, and not SyFy? Why does HBO have two or three SF serials in development while SyFy is airing an eleventh-rate video game tie-in? Why is Starz getting ready to air a dramatization of the War of the Roses and a badass-looking pirate show while SyFy is still running ghost hunters repeats?

There are fundamental changes that must happen at SyFy, starting with leadership, vision and marketing, to bring the network into this century. If those changes aren't made, the network will continue to air cheap reality garbage like its ghost shows while its scripted dramas fail. And I think I speak for many fans when I say that we're tired of getting attached to shows and characters only to see them canceled not for lack of quality, but for lack of marketing.

I agree with some of what you said but not at all about sg1, stargate sg1 and atlantis are and always will be 2 of my favourite tv series ever.

But yest syfy is a horrible channel and know barely anything about what the audience want, and how to market well.

Comment

I can't say I agree with the OP's rather tactlessly expressed opinions of the rest of the SG shows either,GF...but throwing their thread into the garbage achieves nothing at this point.

Their main beef seems to be about Syfy itself not SG Fans so let's try to have a civilised debate on the marketing itself.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

*comes in, reads, shakes head in disbelief, goes away*

Oh Dear Godness ...

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
        Sig & Avi by Josi
        sigpic
        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
        I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

No worries,GF.

If I didn't intend this to be an open discussion where the various opinions expressed couldn't be rebutted or corrected at all by non fans of SGU ,I wouldn't have left the topic open for posting.

(In fairness,the person who began this thread is very new and probably has no idea how many similar threads went down in flames in the past so let's not eat him alive folks!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976
            Understood
            Thanks!

No intention of doing so
            No probs .

Thanks for posting the link to the old thread.Saved me hunting around for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              (In fairness,the person who began this thread is very new and probably has no idea how many similar threads went down in flames in the past so let's not eat him alive folks!)
              Hey, you killed my meal! I was just about to heat the barbeque up

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
              Sig & Avi by Josi
              sigpic
              LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
              I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

I somewhat disagree.

When Syfy were still actually showing the Stargate series, they treated them well and promoted them as what they were; which was an adventure show with minimal comical overtones; heck they even gave SG-1 a sendoff.

I believe the fault has to rely on the decline in quality starting around the time when SG-1 had the Ori. I mean sure, marketing does make a show but you know what hooks a show. Characters and situations, people firmly attach to O'Neill and McKay because they have certain aspects those people liked such as the friendly rebellious type and the overly nerdy type and many of the episodes they were in accurately represented their skillset.

Now that's not to say Universe didn't have it's approachable characters, I'm sure there are billions of people who can relate to the rebellion of Rush; it's just that the people behind the show didn't put much muscle into what should attract people, which is the situations they were in and the backstory of said characters that should be explored. People don't want to have to deal with constant drama and fighting for minimal benefit, they want to involve themselves with a show, feel as if they were one. Universe could not make the audience feel as if they were one.

Now just imagine how much money Syfy pumped into Stargate? Why would they do that? Do they think that us fans are just toys we can play with or is it because they thought that the weight of the franchise was insurmountable. That's why they did everything they can to market SGU, because they wanted to see a return on their investment and not want to have the money go to waste.

Additionally, the reviews are separate from marketing itself; It would be one thing is people praised it from the onset but the response is middling at best. If it was praised as the best show ever than people would be tuning in but as it stands opinion is split and not even Syfy's best marketing could get people to religiously watch the show despite said reviews existing.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

A failure of Marketing from the fans pov yes, from the Accountants department it was a huge save, everyone is downsizing so someone somewhere decided that to get rid of shows that were costing loads to produce and replace them with shows that are cheap and appeal to the lowest common denominator.
                  Move shows about, dont let anyone know then cancel the shows because they have low viewing figures.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                    People don't want to have to deal with constant drama and fighting for minimal benefit, [...]
                    That simply isn't true. That description suits The Wire perfectly, probably the finest show ever written by many (most?) people's reckoning. It's not that there isn't an audience for that, it's that generally speaking it is not the same audience that the promotion seemed to be reaching for. I never understood the point in marketing the show as some sort of high-octane action thriller, did they think people just wouldn't notice or something?

Comment

A lot of the replies to this thread are exactly the reason why i don't swing by GateWorld very often anymore. You forum regulars get a power trip going and think you can tell someone what they can and can't post on a public website with the singular purpose being posting things. On top of that, he has an opinion that differs from yours so you crap all over him just as internet folks do. He has some decent points, maybe not the best way of wording them but they are there. Yet you choose to rip on him rather than help construct a conversation.

You fanboys are blind, you do not see SG-1 and Atlantis for what they are...cheesy campy low production value science fiction television. Not meant to be anything more. I say that as a hardcore fan of the entire franchise, not just SGU. But facts are facts and that's what the other shows were.

I do have to touch on one point you made OP, about Starbuck. She is not a smart, well written strong female character. She was in fact my least favorite element of Battlestar....and I think Battlestar is freaking fantastic. Every time the duckface came on screen I wanted to slap her off of it to be quite honest.

See you in a few months.
                      Last edited by Brian; 24 April 2013, 07:33 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dacooker
                      The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        A lot of the replies to this thread are exactly the reason why i don't swing by GateWorld very often anymore. You forum regulars get a power trip going and think you can tell someone what they can and can't post on a public website with the singular purpose being posting things. On top of that, he has an opinion that differs from yours so you crap all over him just as internet folks do. He has some decent points, maybe not the best way of wording them but they are there. Yet you choose to rip on him rather than help construct a conversation.

You fanboys are blind, you do not see SG-1 and Atlantis for what they are...cheesy campy low production value science fiction television. Not meant to be anything more. I say that as a hardcore fan of the entire franchise, not just SGU. But facts are facts and that's what the other shows were.

I do have to touch on one point you made OP, about Starbuck. She is not a smart, well written strong female character. She was in fact my least favorite element of Battlestar....and I think Battlestar is freaking fantastic. Every time the duckface came on screen I wanted to slap her off of it to be quite honest.

See you in a few months.
                        What are you going on about? everyone that's posted has been very reasonable especially considering the OP wasn't kind about the two most popular installments of the franchise. Of course i forgot it's okay to knock sg1 or sga just not sgu right? as for your facts they are actually just your opinions because other people may see more to those shows than just "cheesy camp low production values".

To the OP the one thing i do agree with you on is syfy needs to try a lot harder if they want to reach HBO/AMC levels of popularity for critically acclaimed shows.
                        sigpic
                        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Gatefan,

<--- Looks at opening post

PS1, Jeri.

Do you now understand why I come in and "bother" SGU fans yet?
                          Because you don't care for mature stories with adult relationships that lack frequent explosions?

All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Well, I think some of the issue is that Syfy has really moved away from original science fiction content, and it just didn't feel like their heart was in it any more. I can't help but compare the type of programming support SGU received on Space with what Syfy did.
                            sigpic
                            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I can't speak for Syfy US, but SGU had *tons* of ads on out here.

Just out of curiosity Carmen, what do you call something like Defiance? (subjective views of quality aside)
                              No idea - I haven't watched anything on Syfy in over a year, so no opinion on their most current programming. I was comparing Syfy when I first started watching it (over a decade in the past) with when I stopped watching it (over a year ago).

If they've moved back to science fiction, that's great. I won't be watching it, but still great.

(I no longer watch any network TV, actually - we gave up the cable and satellite and just stream or watch DVDs now.)
                              sigpic
                              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Working...
                              X