''There will be a new Star Wars movie every summer starting in 2015''

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

''There will be a new Star Wars movie every summer starting in 2015''

I really don't know how to feel about this.
    I mean I'm already mixed on Abrams movie (which could be good seeing as he's director) but Star Wars was all about the story, the journey. You can make good special effects any day but writing a good story is different matter. Just feel it's turning into something cheap by making one every year. Sure, I'll probably go see them all but if they're bad, that'll be the end for me.

But obviously, it's all about profit! It's not about making a good tale, it's about making that big box office hit year after year. For that reason, Star Wars is being reduced into something far less special than it was.
    In something I read, Star Wars was described as the ''great myth of our time''.
    And I'm just not convinced Disney is taking the franchise down that path...

Here's the short article on the matter: http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...g_in_2015.html

What are your thoughts? Are you happy to have a new movie every year?

Originally posted by djackson1234 View Post
    I really don't know how to feel about this.
    [snip]
    What are your thoughts? Are you happy to have a new movie every year?
    The obvious response, given by fans across the world, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Comment

A new Star Wars movie every summer...
      YAY!!!!!
      They better be good.
      Until I see 'em, I'll be optimistic.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Half the reason for Star Wars films' profitability has been pent-up anticipation.

I can see the first couple making a ton of money, but it's very quickly going to oversaturate the market. I bet this plan backfires in under 10 years as people find themselves Star Wars'd out.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A line from ROTJ comes to mind...

"It's a Trap...!"

I will believe it when I see it.
          And I agree with Digifluid. We could find our selves Star Wars'd out. Because you can have to much of a good thing.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Half the reason for Star Wars films' profitability has been pent-up anticipation.

I can see the first couple making a ton of money, but it's very quickly going to oversaturate the market. I bet this plan backfires in under 10 years as people find themselves Star Wars'd out.
            Insightful. But you're right. I find it hard to keep up already with all the new upcoming movies I want to see. It comes to a point where going to the cinema three times a week during the summer blockbuster fest isn't an option and DVDs and Blu-Rays are just too expensive. Making Star Wars a yearly thing is going to be too much for me along with other new and exciting things I'd want to see. What does it say about the time, effort and consideration going into the story lines of these new movies if they undergo one short gestation period after another?

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
              A line from ROTJ comes to mind...

"It's a Trap...!"

I will believe it when I see it.
              And I agree with Digifluid. We could find our selves Star Wars'd out. Because you can have to much of a good thing.
              Yes you are right. You can have too much of a good thing, it all depends if these movies will be ''good things''.

Comment

I have a feeling...... I know I did not have problems with the news about the movies but this.... I have a feeling that it is wrong.
                sigpic

Comment

That word, over-saturation, is exactly what I was thinking of. Sometimes, there is too much of a good thing. Every summer is a bit much.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

If some how the news ones end up as good as the originals this may not be a problem. However, they fall short in anyway and Disney will kill the francise.

That being said I'll probably see at least the first two and go from there.
                    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I was SO looking forward to Ep1-TPM when it was released, even bought and read the novelisation before the movie was out. Which, obviously, was a big mistake because suddenly it wasn't new and exciting, it was somehow old hand and repeated. Okay, it was also big, cheesey, CGI-crammed (c.f. the natural splendour of LOTR, at about the same time) and had pommel-head in it too.

Comment

I agree this could be over saturation.

I can put up with 1 every few years like the James Bond franchise but I think I will quickly tire of Star wars year. Especially if the stories are sub par, like JJ A Abrams non original material usually is.

Comment

I sort of see it like reviving Harry Potter series (which of course would never happen due to Rowling rights) and jumping into the adventures of his new adult career. Like yeah, cool, we're back in the world which is always nice but once a well-plotted series has an epic ending, it's like : Aw, great, another bad guy? back to square one?
                          These stories are built on a great plotted journey and adventure. To cheapen it into one-off little adventures or try to even match it into something similar to the original story just seems very unlikely to be fantastic...I could be wrong.

I'm being pessimistic but that way I can't be truly disappointed. I will be very happy if they are awesome.

Comment

I think a new film every year seems kind of over doing it, but I like the idea of what Disney is trying to do. Expand on the star wars universe that most mainstream folk don't know about(I bet many here have read books/comics or played games in different parts/era's of the star wars universe). Old republic stuff, formation of the Order, Rule of two etc.
                            sigpic

Favorite quote:
                            McKay: You shot me!
                            Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                            Ronon: You shot me, too.
                            Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Some years from now, people will know Star Wars as a long, boring series of crappy B-movies...
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X