Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did they 'die' every time they enter the stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they 'die' every time they enter the stargate?

I am wondering how the stargate actually works in the series... we know that object got de-materialized when entering the gate and re-materialized on the other end. My question is, let say i entered the gate, on the other end, was it the original (matter wise) me? Did I died?

Also, I can't find a reasonable/logical explanation for myself that when your body is half way through (partially de-materialized) yet still remain functional and doesn't fall into pieces

P/S: dont get me wrong, i love SG series.

It's mentioned a few times that the event horizon is effectively the front of a buffer since, as you say, you can be half-in/half-out for ages. It would seem that within the buffer, you are still fully "alive" until the point of dematerialisation.

Whether you are are "dead" or "in stasis" during the teleportation phase is up for debate.

Comment

According to metaphysics technically you would be dead as you no longer exist in human form. Your brain ceases to function and you stop breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        Your brain ceases to function and you stop breathing.
        That applies to stasis as well...?

Comment

never thought about it...hu..
          sigpic

Comment

My thoughts went to that also, since the matter is broken down, but the term "reassembled" comes up too often. Im thinking it works more like a television than a fax, meaning, its not a copy of you coming out the other side, but that you own actual molecules are sent through another dimension as base elements, in a sort of zipped .rar file, before arriving and unzipping before you are sent through the event horizon. Think "teleporter, long range communication, teleporter"

Comment

When you are demoleculized you must be dead because our inner organs don't function when torn apart. That's a fact,
              But the system of reassembling the molecules in the correct order - that's the magic part - in Michael Crichton's Timeline they do sth similar and fail now and then!
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

I don't think you 'die'. You change state, yes, but you don't cease to exist. Even if you were put into a wormhole loop for a thousand years then reassembled, you would still be you when you came out, and you were you while you were in there too.

Comment

Working...
                X